Arena Football League 2011

dcameronh

I like it. Its a great update and I hope the unis get an update as they mirror the Blaze right now.

Speaking of the Blaze, I noticed this from their website:

801_2686.jpg

801_2696.jpg

And a bit further away...

801_2717.jpg

Looks like new helmets, and I love the dark gray, though I'm not a fan of the bulky new logo. This looks to differentiate from the Mustangs a bit. I wonder if they're getting new uniforms (or pants), as well.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milwaukee Iron to rebrand back to "Mustangs"

I doubt this means the old teal and purple scheme is coming back, but they can't really do much worse than the old "Iron" logo.

Given that this ownership group has done things on the cheap, I imagine we'll have a re-coloring of the old logo into the new colors.

mustang%20front%20office%5B2%5D.jpg

New Milwaukee logo....not bad, could be MUCH worse.

Lack of originality for the most part. Why the hell does the black background split the logo itself?

I think going back to the Mustang name is exactly what they needed to do. Most people in southeastern Wisconsin know more about the Mustangs as a team 10 years ago than they did of the current Iron team. I wish they went back to something similar to the streaking horse over the M just to keep the identity similar, but this new logo is much better than the Iron's terrible one. It could be better, but it's still pretty good. I hope they do well in drawing fans again like the Mustangs used to.

Arena football is a great sports if it's run properly and I want it to succeed again.

I just noticed something. If you go to this link Mustangs logo the nose and mouth are slightly different (worse) than what was posted above here. Just strange to see two slight varations so early in this logos existence.

Milwaukee Iron to rebrand back to "Mustangs"

I doubt this means the old teal and purple scheme is coming back, but they can't really do much worse than the old "Iron" logo.

Given that this ownership group has done things on the cheap, I imagine we'll have a re-coloring of the old logo into the new colors.

mustang%20front%20office%5B2%5D.jpg

New Milwaukee logo....not bad, could be MUCH worse.

Lack of originality for the most part. Why the hell does the black background split the logo itself?

I think going back to the Mustang name is exactly what they needed to do. Most people in southeastern Wisconsin know more about the Mustangs as a team 10 years ago than they did of the current Iron team. I wish they went back to something similar to the streaking horse over the M just to keep the identity similar, but this new logo is much better than the Iron's terrible one. It could be better, but it's still pretty good. I hope they do well in drawing fans again like the Mustangs used to.

Arena football is a great sports if it's run properly and I want it to succeed again.

I just noticed something. If you go to this link Mustangs logo the nose and mouth are slightly different (worse) than what was posted above here. Just strange to see two slight varations so early in this logos existence.

I personally don't like the new logo. I would've loved for them to basically use the old look, it was a solid identity and the pulled off the color scheme surprisingly well. I personally would've like it more if the just re-colored the Iron's logo to the old colors and replace the word Iron to Mustang. Da well, still curious to see the uniforms, didn't like there old uni's to much.

There's also a version of the logo that's white instead of grey, I think the grey version is better then the white

165550_125970024140268_125758230828114_157434_2938350_n.jpg

Back half of the logo is a representation of an AFL football...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

See it while you can,because this team doesn't exist anymore. They moved to Gwinnett, Georgia to become the new Georgia Force.

okb96fhl0zpfumufqvrwlgy74.gif

What a sad....sad representation. Our own Joe Bosack had a great logo for their previous incarnation.

I agree. This logo just screams epic fail. Their first logo is what they should have used:

6475.gif

6478.gif

While you are correct by the name Gwinnett, the city is Duluth. Gwinnett is the county. They are playing in the same arena they played in before, Arena at Gwinnett Center. My guess, they are trying to separate them selves from the 1st incarnation of the franchise and their new ownership. (Which is no longer Arthur Blank)

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

this blows my mind. THIS t-shirt won a design contest put on by the new organization. not only is it really boring, but it's using the OLD LOGO!!

And the Force say the t-shirt will hit shelves. What is going on here? Why try to market against the new brand? Who let this win? (I love the old logo, and hate hate HATE the new one)

This makes ZERO SENSE! what type of idiots are running the show here?

http://www.georgiaforce.com/2011/01/t-shirt-contest-winner-announced/

this blows my mind. THIS t-shirt won a design contest put on by the new organization. not only is it really boring, but it's using the OLD LOGO!!

And the Force say the t-shirt will hit shelves. What is going on here? Why try to market against the new brand? Who let this win? (I love the old logo, and hate hate HATE the new one)

http://www.georgiaforce.com/2011/01/t-shirt-contest-winner-announced/

BB, check out the Force homepage. the 2nd head line where its says 9 added to roster shows the old logo on the helmets.....

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

A statement which could be applied to a rather high percentage of Arena Football ownership through the years.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I too would have liked to see an updated Mustangs logo with new current colors. I really don't think anyone in Wisconsin right now wants to associate with the color purple due to recent events in the past two years.

EDIT:

Actually I shouldn't say that since UW-Whitwater, which wears purple, currently has a 3-3 record in the Stagg Bowl and has been in the Stagg Bowl for the past six years and have won the last two. I know it's only Division III but Division III uses a 32 team playoff system and the Warhawks have been undefeated since the 2009 season. I gotta give the Warhawks their due they deserve it.

This would have been the 25th season of the AFL this year had their been a 2009 season. They could still celebrate 25 years of existence or of course do it next year. I would LOVE to see some throwback days. Have the Storm in their old Zubaz jerseys or maybe even Pittsburgh Gladiator throwbacks. It would be neat anyways to see some old throwback styles, maybe the Mustangs can wear their old purple set of the former Mustangs for a game, or the Rush with a Bruisers set etc.

niagaraq.png

This would have been the 25th season of the AFL this year had their been a 2009 season. They could still celebrate 25 years of existence or of course do it next year. I would LOVE to see some throwback days. Have the Storm in their old Zubaz jerseys or maybe even Pittsburgh Gladiator throwbacks. It would be neat anyways to see some old throwback styles, maybe the Mustangs can wear their old purple set of the former Mustangs for a game, or the Rush with a Bruisers set etc.

Most AFL teams don't have the kind of money needed for three sets of uniforms (home,away, throwback). They're generally losing money hand over fist.

It's where I sit.

so the Georgia Force facebook page removed me today, lol. they were not too pleased with my criticism, but they are continuing to prove they are in an identity crisis. apparently they still have the rights to the older logo, because it's showing up EVERYWHERE.

GF facebook page

What a bunch of amateurs. First by not deciding on a brand and then by removing you from their page. As much as the new logo sucks, they show even more incompetence and wishy-washiness by not just sticking with it. That being said, I hope they go back to the GF logo for good.

By the way, is that the Tulsa Talons helmet on the visiting helmet. It looks pretty good head to head with teh GF logo.

• 1 month later...

In regards to the Georgia Force situation:

All the advertisements, billboards, and other promotional materials here in Atlanta use the shield/jagged sabre logo. However, this is not the same logo that the old incarnation of the team used.

The first thing that tipped me off is the little "sparkle" on the hand guard of the sword. I knew that that wasn't in the original logo so I went searching.

There are several differences between the original Joe Bosack logo and the one being used now:

-The sparkle

-The gray beveling on the GF is now missing

-There is now a second gray outline on the shield

-The shape of the blade is somewhat different. It's a sharper curve angle and the blade is a bit shorter because of it.

-The gray and white on the blade are now reversed.

-The way the point of the blade and the shield connect is different.

-The white highlight on the handle is now thinner.

-The way the blade and hand guard meet is different. On the bottom part of the hand guard the white detailing is now gone and the silver comes up closer to the blade

-The pommel(little round part on the end of the handle) is now black instead of gray.

All these are relatively minor changes as it still looks almost exactly like the old logo. I'm not sure how they are using this redrawn version. It's so close to the original that if they don't have rights to that, how can they use this? And if they do have rights to the original, why would they draw a similar, yet in my opinion inferior, one to use? The new logo looks like what you'd come up with if you hadn't seen the old Force logo in a couple years and had to draw it from memory.

What's even more perplexing is that the weird football logo with crappy text is still the primary. It's what's on the website homepage header, AFL website, and at the bottom of the Force website next to the AFL and Gwinnett Arena logos. But the new shield/sword logo is everywhere else: Merchandise, apparently the helmets, other places on the site. It's like they want to make the shield/sword the primary again, but they're still using the football logo in a lot of places. If they were really intent on making the football logo disappear, why do they have it on the header of the webpage? Why not do what the Sabres did and basically remove the Buffaslug from the website in favor of the updated circle logo prior to making the official switch? It just makes no sense to have basically two primaries that have nothing to do with one another.

The new logo looks like what you'd come up with if you hadn't seen the old Force logo in a couple years and had to draw it from memory.

...or when the owner promises his Hooters waitress...ahem...I mean "Graphic Designer" that her logo can be the primary.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Even redoing it in the new colors is much better than this. I still don't get the horse connection to iron.

A motorcycle is sometimes called a "iron horse" and a "Milwaukee Iron" specifically refers to a Harley-Davidson... hence the horse and team colors.

That said, the team's identity is completely underwhelming... especially considering how (surprisingly) long it took a team in Milwaukee to adopt a Harley themed identity. IMO, Milwaukee Iron could really only work as a soccer team. Outlaws, Riders, Choppers and even Thunder are all stronger names that lend themselves to the exact same theme.

I'd always thought it was a steam train originally, harley's were steel horses were they not? Same difference it's an iron horse reference either way, hence the logo is a horse. I see they've changed the name to mustangs this year and tried (and failed) to do something with the logo too.

Looks like I'll have plenty to be getting on with in my AFL rebrand project over in the concepts forum.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived