New Uniforms/Logo for the Clippers?

Lights Out

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's never been one to care about the fans -- which is why the Clippers have none!

I'm a Clippers fan. The Clippers have plenty of fans - and they definitely beat out the Cubs as the longest-suffering fanbase in sports.

I dont want to start a big, pointless fight about a stupid topic, but how can possibly say this?

Yeah um...what?

The city of Cleveland says hi...unless/until LeBron finally does it, the Cavs/Indians/Browns combo outdoes anyone else by far. As far as Cubs fans - unless they are unlucky enough to hate basketball or root for someone other than the Bulls, they basically deserve the misery to counteract their good fortune in experiencing the Jordan era.

ACI and LightsOut:

I would be very interested in hearing how you became Clippers fans. Are the Clippers really your #1 NBA team?

I really wondered how someone would become a Clipper fan:

- Carryover from San Diego?

- LA native who likes to go to games and takes advantage of cheaper/more available tickets, and becomes attached to the Clippers?

- LA native who recognizes the moral awfulness of the Lakers and selflessly allows self to suffer? (Celtics fan here)

- LA native who likes to go against the grain and wants to root for the other team? (or just someone from elsewhere in the world who wants to root for an obscure/bad team - either way a contrarian, Bohemian type of personality)

I truly am curious about what makes up the Clippers' fanbase, because it seems like they lack any demographic foothold, whether generational, geographic, blue/white collar - I can't really see why someone would willingly or accidentally get attached to the Clippers. Unless they were a kid who became a basketball fan in LA from 1992-94 and had the misfortunte to get imprinted during the 2 years the Clippers were better.

I've asked this before on the boards, and am really anthropologically/sociologically curious about the question: Who are Clippers fans?

I acutally hope the change is minor. I have always like the Clipper jersey. The logo is awful, uninspired, Laker-rip off, etc., but I like the uniform. I hope the colors and wordmarks stay pretty intact.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I could live with minor changes to the uniforms, major changes to the logo. But at the very least I hope they fix the basketball in their logo. I can't imagine what the guy who came up with that logo was thinking when he rendered that basketball -- I mean, there's an extra line in it!

I hope they bring back the nautical flags on the uniform. I do love the "Clippers" and "Los Angeles" scripts they use.

IUe6Hvh.png

Best Concepts I have seen for the Clippers ever done was done by a poster "Against All Odds" or AAO I believe. He did it a couple of years ago and I would love a repost if he still posts on this board. Also if you've seen his Thunder logo, you'll more than likely agree that it is the logo OKC should be using......

I have to agree, this is a MUCH needed fix. Perhaps with the rumor of D Wade coming in along with a healing Griffin, this franchise needs a new look. Honestly though, if the Clippers get LeBron, I'll be shocked, my guess for him is either the Nets, Knicks or he stays with the Cavs

The thing is, though, the Clippers already have a fairly decent roster, and the Clippers could easily build, at the very least, a winning season around LeBron and Griffin. Then you also have at least six regular season matchups with Kobe and the Lakers, and don't tell me that $tern wouldn't love to see that.

Best Concepts I have seen for the Clippers ever done was done by a poster "Against All Odds" or AAO I believe. He did it a couple of years ago and I would love a repost if he still posts on this board. Also if you've seen his Thunder logo, you'll more than likely agree that it is the logo OKC should be using......

He'll gladly tell you that, too. Loudly and repeatedly.

(even though it wasn't all that great)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've asked this before on the boards, and am really anthropologically/sociologically curious about the question: Who are Clippers fans?

Their most famous season ticket holder is Billy Crystal. That's all I know.

philly.png

He'll gladly tell you that, too. Loudly and repeatedly.

(even though it wasn't all that great)

whatever happened to him anyway?

ACI and LightsOut:

I would be very interested in hearing how you became Clippers fans. Are the Clippers really your #1 NBA team?

I really wondered how someone would become a Clipper fan:

- Carryover from San Diego?

- LA native who likes to go to games and takes advantage of cheaper/more available tickets, and becomes attached to the Clippers?

- LA native who recognizes the moral awfulness of the Lakers and selflessly allows self to suffer? (Celtics fan here)

- LA native who likes to go against the grain and wants to root for the other team? (or just someone from elsewhere in the world who wants to root for an obscure/bad team - either way a contrarian, Bohemian type of personality)

I truly am curious about what makes up the Clippers' fanbase, because it seems like they lack any demographic foothold, whether generational, geographic, blue/white collar - I can't really see why someone would willingly or accidentally get attached to the Clippers. Unless they were a kid who became a basketball fan in LA from 1992-94 and had the misfortunte to get imprinted during the 2 years the Clippers were better.

One of my best friends is a Clipper fan since '93. Like me, he initially picked his favourite team based on the uniform. It also happened to be during the 2 playoff seasons when the team was regarded as "on the rise". He was probably the only Clipper fan in the UK at that point...

He's still a fan. He now considers it a badge of honour - he follows the worst team in sports.

AAO fake account spotted.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I could live with minor changes to the uniforms, major changes to the logo. ... I do love the "Clippers" and "Los Angeles" scripts they use.

I'll second that. I've always loved that they kept the script so long, probably because the Bulls dumped their Chicago script from the roads and I loved that. (Still do.)

The Clippers' logo needs fixing, but I hope the current road reds find a way to stick around, even if only as an alt.

I wanted to chime in...I'm too am a Clippers fan, and I've stuck with them since the Larry Brown days. Believe me, there are more of us than you think. I don't want to steer too much away from the initial topic, but I would suggest to do a bit more research before you (people in general) make blanket statements on how the team sucks. Of course, they suck...it's no secret about that, but a lot of folks who make those generalized statements are most those that don't really watch the games (then again, at this point, I really don't blame y'all since the team is once again in quit mode), and don't understand WHY they suck. Like it's been mentioned, Sterling has spent the money over the last several years. Thanks to being at Staples Center, the team has been able to generate more revenue than at any other point of their history. I'll be the last guy to defend Donald Sterling, because I think the man is a creepy human being, but there was a reason why he was considered cheap during the days at the old L.A. Sports Arena, and it's partly because that dump wasn't exactly a revenue-generating venue. You compare that across town with the Lakers, since they and the Forum were always co-owned, part of any revenue generated by other events there (concerts, wrestling, boxing, ice shows, etc.) were always pumped right back into the Lakers. Sterling and the Clippers never got any extra money from other Sports Arena events...that money went back to the Coliseum Commission (made up of officials from the State of California, the City of Los Angeles, and Los Angeles County, which all three own the land that the Sports Arena and Coliseum sits on).

The ownership aside, the pieces are there to contend...we just need a more competent coach who actually cares, a more credible general manager (the current guy, Neil Olshey, doesn't exactly have a lot of cache, and I'm hoping that they get Kevin Pritchard out of Portland), and to strengthen the bench. For all of Mike Dunleavy's faults as coach (and there are plenty), he was very active and assertive in putting together this team...lightyears than what Elgin Baylor ever accomplished.

Anyway...I do love the current uniforms, and it's not being a homer. However, I've never been enamored with the primary logo. The team has emphasized the secondary "LAC" logo, and the cursive "Clippers" script moreso than the primary. I'm really anticipating what the finished product will be.

He's never been one to care about the fans -- which is why the Clippers have none!

I'm a Clippers fan. The Clippers have plenty of fans - and they definitely beat out the Cubs as the longest-suffering fanbase in sports.

I dont want to start a big, pointless fight about a stupid topic, but how can possibly say this?

Yeah um...what?

The city of Cleveland says hi...unless/until LeBron finally does it, the Cavs/Indians/Browns combo outdoes anyone else by far. As far as Cubs fans - unless they are unlucky enough to hate basketball or root for someone other than the Bulls, they basically deserve the misery to counteract their good fortune in experiencing the Jordan era.

This is the correct answer. If the Cavs win the NBA title, then the title of longest-suffering sports city (with 3 or more teams) goes from Cleveland to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

AAO fake account spotted.

lol...

i dont think Ian ever did a Clips concept, or at least he's not proud of it, cuz its not in his "Photobucket portfolio" where all his other significant sports design is...maybe you're thinking of someone else Droost.

OT: I'm in the camp of a major logo change needed and minor uniform changes to go along with it. Those wordmarks are things of beauty and need a nicely designed primary and secondary logos to go with it...

Bring back the clipper ship/sailboat logo...at least it conferred a unique identity on the team as opposed to the bargain-basement Lakers knockoff that is their current look.

For the record, I am also baffled as to how one becomes a Clippers fan. I can understand those who have friends or relatives somehow associated with the team or those who came of age back in the early/mid 90s. But as for anyone else, I have no idea.

Yes, they are. I've always loathed the Lakers, not for their success but for their arrogance in success. Case in point: all the in-fighting that ruined the Lakers for a while after their three-peat and caused the loss to the Pistons in the Finals.

Meanwhile, the Clippers have always (well, until this year) been a franchise of teams with varying levels of talent but an unmistakable amount of heart. There's a reason they're often referred to as "LA's hardest-working team." Even in the lean years, which have been very numerous, the Clippers have been known for fighting hard when they're down, which makes the who-cares attitude of this year's team since the all-star break and last year's team all year that much more inexcusable.

Personally, I've always been a fan of teams with heart, that fight on through the bad times and through the good... that's why I like the Clippers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived