New Uniforms/Logo for the Clippers?

Lights Out

This is the correct answer. If the Cavs win the NBA title, then the title of longest-suffering sports city (with 3 or more teams) goes from Cleveland to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

So those two World Series in 1987 and 1991 don't count, then?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll believe it when I see it.

That being said, if they do change I can't understand why they'd keep the red, white, blue. The orange and sky of the San Diego days would look great today. Even on their current set.

cliporange.jpg

I gotta say, thouse look pretty sweet...but in Lights Out's defence, I think I've come to know the Clippers in red and blue, anyways.

Sorry people, the answer to the question "Which fanbase suffered the most?" is the Cubs/Chicago. The Cubs have gone an entire century without a title. During the past few years they've had to watch their long-time rivals (St. Louis) and their cross-town rivals (White Sox) win WS titles. No other sports fanbase can claim they've suffered more.

Let's put the Suffering Olympics on hold for a few minutes.

There are some scattered unused Clippers logos from about 1995 or so, the ones with the black/teal/orange scheme, I think it was. Those were kind of intriguing, but Los Angeles is too big and important to putz around with cutesy modern logos and color schemes. The Dodgers and Lakers are timeless, the Angels might as well be, the Rams and Raiders were when they were there, and the Kings could've been if they wanted to. (Whatever, the Ducks.) Had the Clippers given that concept a shot, I think it would've been really popular at first, but inevitably would've been associated with failure and gone from Bold New Era to Crappy '90s Dark Age, leading fans to yearn for the classic red/white/blue, which would've brought us right back to where we are today. You may recognize this design arc from when it happened to the Detroit Pistons.

So what to do with the Clips? Nothing, really. Their wordmarks both look really nice, their uniforms are fine enough, and their court looks pretty nice. I suppose all you can really do is make sure you don't step on the Pistons' use of red/white/blue and distribute your colors differently than they do. The Lakeresque primary is pretty pointless, and may as well be replaced with the Clippers script. If the NBA is worried about the primary not containing the city name, just slap the "LOS ANGELES" from the old primary above and to the left of it. There.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sorry people, the answer to the question "Which fanbase suffered the most?" is the Cubs/Chicago. The Cubs have gone an entire century without a title. During the past few years they've had to watch their long-time rivals (St. Louis) and their cross-town rivals (White Sox) win WS titles. No other sports fanbase can claim they've suffered more.

No doubt, as a single team, it's the Cubs. As a city, it's probably Cleveland, not only for the 39, 45 and 61 year droughts of the Cavs, Browns and Indians, respectively, but for the collection of unreal buzzer beaters, unthinkable drives, untimely turnovers, and game 7 losses that have downed them.

Anyway, a few points:

I have always, and I mean always, thought the Clippers should return to orange and sky blue. It is infinitely more unique than red and blue, represents the history of the team and it simply looks stunning. I really could care less about the Clippers dropping their 'brand' because the only equity they have in it is losing, negativity, bad luck and other forms of disaster. With that said, though, I don't think this is going to be very eagerly anticipated, as BBTV suggests, nor do I think it should be. I, for one, would be very surprised if this ends up being anything more than a spicing up of the current uniform. I can't see them even updating the logo this go-round. My only request is that the road uniforms feature 'Los Angeles' instead of 'Clippers.'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Best Concepts I have seen for the Clippers ever done was done by a poster "Against All Odds" or AAO I believe. He did it a couple of years ago and I would love a repost if he still posts on this board. Also if you've seen his Thunder logo, you'll more than likely agree that it is the logo OKC should be using......

AAO fake account spotted.

lol...

i dont think Ian ever did a Clips concept, or at least he's not proud of it, cuz its not in his "Photobucket portfolio" where all his other significant sports design is...maybe you're thinking of someone else Droost.

OT: I'm in the camp of a major logo change needed and minor uniform changes to go along with it. Those wordmarks are things of beauty and need a nicely designed primary and secondary logos to go with it...

He did do a Clippers concept. I remember he added "sand" to the color scheme -- or at least I think he did. It was about as mediocre as the rest of his work.

IUe6Hvh.png

I would be very interested in hearing how you became Clippers fans. Are the Clippers really your #1 NBA team?

Yes, they are. I've always loathed the Lakers, not for their success but for their arrogance in success. Case in point: all the in-fighting that ruined the Lakers for a while after their three-peat and caused the loss to the Pistons in the Finals.

Meanwhile, the Clippers have always (well, until this year) been a franchise of teams with varying levels of talent but an unmistakable amount of heart. There's a reason they're often referred to as "LA's hardest-working team." Even in the lean years, which have been very numerous, the Clippers have been known for fighting hard when they're down, which makes the who-cares attitude of this year's team since the all-star break and last year's team all year that much more inexcusable.

Personally, I've always been a fan of teams with heart, that fight on through the bad times and through the good... that's why I like the Clippers.

Same reason I'm a Saints fan. Believe me, all of your suffering will pay off when your team wins a championship. Victory tastes MUCH better when you've tasted failure, defeat, under-achievement and embarassment for so long.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I have always, and I mean always, thought the Clippers should return to orange and sky blue. It is infinitely more unique than red and blue, represents the history of the team and it simply looks stunning.

But red, white, and blue represents more of the team's history... they used those colors in Buffalo as well as the tail end of the San Diego era.

I really could care less about the Clippers dropping their 'brand' because the only equity they have in it is losing, negativity, bad luck and other forms of disaster.

To the contrary, they've won playoff series in the red-white-and-blue in Buffalo and in LA... none in the orange and sky blue.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

No doubt, as a single team, it's the Cubs. As a city, it's probably Cleveland, not only for the 39, 45 and 61 year droughts of the Cavs, Browns and Indians, respectively, but for the collection of unreal buzzer beaters, unthinkable drives, untimely turnovers, and game 7 losses that have downed them.

Anyway, a few points:

I have always, and I mean always, thought the Clippers should return to orange and sky blue. It is infinitely more unique than red and blue, represents the history of the team and it simply looks stunning. I really could care less about the Clippers dropping their 'brand' because the only equity they have in it is losing, negativity, bad luck and other forms of disaster. With that said, though, I don't think this is going to be very eagerly anticipated, as BBTV suggests, nor do I think it should be. I, for one, would be very surprised if this ends up being anything more than a spicing up of the current uniform. I can't see them even updating the logo this go-round. My only request is that the road uniforms feature 'Los Angeles' instead of 'Clippers.'

You could be right. It's hard to say how exciting this could be until something official comes out about the change. Something more than an announcer just passively mentioning it.

Also, I don't get the love for their script. It wouldn't be too bad if it was a legit script, but it's more like a patch - I HATE how the "C" is totally filled in by the background color of the patch. I'd actually prefer it if it was more of a baseball style, even if it had a tail or something.

I really hope they don't go gimmicky and bust out sailboats or nautical stuff. As I've said in numerous other threads, that kind of stuff is fine in certain cases, and works well in smaller markets, but they should really go for a more serious kind of look and just play up the LA part of their identity. The Lakers don't go with any... well, lake gimmicks, and nor should the Clippers bust out any boats. Just go with something that's classy and a little "LA"-style flashy at the same time.

And no, the AAO concepts would not look good for this team. Not that they weren't well done (though I can barely remember), but from what I recall, they looked more D-Leagueish than NBA.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Same reason I'm a Saints fan. Believe me, all of your suffering will pay off when your team wins a championship. Victory tastes MUCH better when you've tasted failure, defeat, under-achievement and embarassment for so long.

And almost nobody outdoes my Clips at that! Hopefully we get LeBron next year and Blake Griffin hasn't lost a step, so that Clipper Nation can finally taste that victory!

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Quoted for the absolute truth.

The entire city of Chicago is gonna be shut down if the Cubbies ever won a WS

And God knows how happy I will be if the Jets and Rangers win the title.

The entire city of Chicago is gonna be shut down if the Cubbies ever won a WS

And God knows how happy I will be if the Jets and Rangers win the title.

And every supposed 'Sox Fan' will hop on the Cubby bandwagon, just like half of Chicago jumped on the White Sox wagon after the title in '05.

Red Sox fan re-quoting for emphasis. This is amazingly true.

Archived