New Uniforms/Logo for the Clippers?

Lights Out

I meant the Bulls suck! Don't :rolleyes: me.

Ok, well the Bulls suck, I agree. The Sox only suck from time to time, including when the weather is cold, in August, and against pitchers with ERAs over 5. I don't follow the Bulls much, so I don't know if they have been far under the cap or what. I was under the impression their decade plus of failure was a result of poor GMing rather than cheapness. I don't want to go on a rant about Cubs fans, but the difference is the Bulls fans were put in the seats by success. Also, it is easier to sell out when you have half as many games and half the capacity.

With my novice basketball knowledge, it looks like the Bulls epic-ly failed in trading Tyrus, who they could have just non-tendered anyway. He was supposedly in demand by half a dozen teams and all they got was a few :censored:ty players who don't even help them reach the playoffs this year. Signing LeBron would definately make them a better team, and make them more money, so I think they will go all out. However, just like when Tim Duncan and Kobe were "almost signed" by the Bulls and all they ended up with was Ron Mercer, they will find a way to miss out on all the top guys. For the three years the front office has built this off-season up, we better damn well come out of it with someone better than Joe Johnson.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it were easy to sell out NBA games with ease and regularity, everyone would be doing it, and they're not. NBA attendance actually hasn't been so hot across the board for the last few years, the big two exceptions being Chicago and Detroit, which draw over 20,000 a night to their facilities with, erm, facility. The Bulls haven't finished outside the top 2 in attendance since 2004, when they were terrible and even then, they were only 3rd (come to think of it this was the Pippen Retirement Tour year). Since we came out of the dark ages, they've been neck and neck with the Pistons for the league lead; the only difference being that in that timespan, the Pistons were defending world champions and otherwise dominated their conference. The Bulls won a playoff series once because everyone on the Heat was hurt and/or old. To briefly steer this thread back on topic, you know who else has only managed to win one playoff series between 2004-2010? That's right: America's punchline, the Los Angeles Clippers. By that metric, the Bulls are the Clippers. That'll replace the whale in me nightmares.

The Clippers run a shoestring operation with no serious championship aspirations but implausibly turn a minor profit. The Bulls run a shoestring operation with no serious championship aspirations and make hundreds of millions of dollars, far and away the most profitable team in the NBA. They've made $474 million in the last ten years, all of which were Jordanless. They've made $165MM in the last three seasons, more than even the Lakers. Why sign LeBron James? Why sign Joe Johnson? Why sign anybody? What possible incentive could there be to spend money and win championships when spending and winning aren't necessary catalysts for league-leading profit? How much longer is this going to go on? Is this going to be Blackhawks Redux where nothing short of death will lead this organization to pursue greatness again?

I guess what I'm really saying is the Clippers don't need to make any significant departures.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How's this for an interesting scenario:

LeBron goes to L.A. just not the team everyone is thinking of... What if he signs with the Lakers?? :shocked:

Now before everyone jumps on my butt, think about it for a second...

LeBron has both expressed an interest in playing for the Lakers at some point and playing with Kobe. He'd only share the Lakers with Kobe for a little bit. And in the olympics, they proved that they can play very well together. Kobe does not have that many years left as an elite player. By signing LeBron, the Lakers would be able to give LeBron a championship caliber team, with a Hall of Famer to learn from, then when Kobe hangs up his sneakers, LeBron can take over the Lakers and lead us to even more championships. Now I know the Lakers don't have cap space, but since when does Jerry Buss care about cap space? He's always been willing to dish out cash in order to keep the Lakers as a title contender year in and year out.

Improbable? Yes. Ludicrous? Yes. Possible...? Definitely.

As crazy as it sounds, it could work :P

If it were easy to sell out NBA games with ease and regularity, everyone would be doing it, and they're not. NBA attendance actually hasn't been so hot across the board for the last few years, the big two exceptions being Chicago and Detroit, which draw over 20,000 a night to their facilities with, erm, facility. The Bulls haven't finished outside the top 2 in attendance since 2004, when they were terrible and even then, they were only 3rd (come to think of it this was the Pippen Retirement Tour year). Since we came out of the dark ages, they've been neck and neck with the Pistons for the league lead; the only difference being that in that timespan, the Pistons were defending world champions and otherwise dominated their conference. The Bulls won a playoff series once because everyone on the Heat was hurt and/or old. To briefly steer this thread back on topic, you know who else has only managed to win one playoff series between 2004-2010? That's right: America's punchline, the Los Angeles Clippers. By that metric, the Bulls are the Clippers. That'll replace the whale in me nightmares.

The Clippers run a shoestring operation with no serious championship aspirations but implausibly turn a minor profit. The Bulls run a shoestring operation with no serious championship aspirations and make hundreds of millions of dollars, far and away the most profitable team in the NBA. They've made $474 million in the last ten years, all of which were Jordanless. They've made $165MM in the last three seasons, more than even the Lakers. Why sign LeBron James? Why sign Joe Johnson? Why sign anybody? What possible incentive could there be to spend money and win championships when spending and winning aren't necessary catalysts for league-leading profit? How much longer is this going to go on? Is this going to be Blackhawks Redux where nothing short of death will lead this organization to pursue greatness again?

I guess what I'm really saying is the Clippers don't need to make any significant departures.

Good points. However, with the way this offseason was set up, with the three years of anticipation and Foreman even admitting after making the worthless Thomas trade that they were making moves to clear space for next season, the Bulls had better get something done. I don't know why the Bulls continue to sell out, but I think failing to come out of this offseason with anyone better than Richard Jefferson will lead to a lot of people marching to the Berto Center carrying torches and pitchforks. This is a huge offseason. I think if they whiff on this, lots of fans will leave. Hopefully we won't have to find out.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I won't believe it til I see it.

The Clips' owner, whatever his name is, has got to be THE greediest pricks in all of sports. He's never been one to care about the fans -- which is why the Clippers have none!

This is exactly why I would imagine they will redesign their uniforms - to sell out what little tradition they have for a temporary merchandising boost as people buy their new apparel.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

How's this for an interesting scenario:

LeBron goes to L.A. just not the team everyone is thinking of... What if he signs with the Lakers?? :shocked:

Now before everyone jumps on my butt, think about it for a second...

LeBron has both expressed an interest in playing for the Lakers at some point and playing with Kobe. He'd only share the Lakers with Kobe for a little bit. And in the olympics, they proved that they can play very well together. Kobe does not have that many years left as an elite player. By signing LeBron, the Lakers would be able to give LeBron a championship caliber team, with a Hall of Famer to learn from, then when Kobe hangs up his sneakers, LeBron can take over the Lakers and lead us to even more championships. Now I know the Lakers don't have cap space, but since when does Jerry Buss care about cap space? He's always been willing to dish out cash in order to keep the Lakers as a title contender year in and year out.

Improbable? Yes. Ludicrous? Yes. Possible...? Definitely.

As crazy as it sounds, it could work :P

Um... no.

Even if LeBron were willing to play 2nd fiddle to Kobe (would never happen) or if Kobe was willing to play 2nd fiddle to Lebron (would never EVER happen) You said so yourself they don't have the cap space. This isn't baseball you can't just go over the cap. So that means lebron would have to sign for a mid-level exception...and I think Lebron has a better chance of accepting membership into the KKK then a mid-level exception.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Why in the world would he even want to go to the Lakers, even if there wasn't a salary cap? Two or three years from now, the Lakers are going to be what the Celtics are now - a non-contending, mediocre, too old playoff team on the verge of a major collapse. They already have lengthy, expensive contracts set up with a bunch of 30 and 31-year-olds, including the rapidly-aging Kobe who's been having injury problems this year. Plus, the Lakers have a history of drama happening as soon as another star joins the roster - remember the feuds between Kobe and Shaq?

If I were LeBron, I'd much rather go down the hall to the Clippers, where at least they would have a hope of contending with a major free-agent addition. The Clips are seen as a hard-working team (despite their complete lack of effort since the All-Star Break this year) with little to no drama on or off the court between players, they have a talented young core (DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin, and Eric Gordon) that will keep them in contention even after Kaman or Davis (depending on who they keep) retire, and he would still be wowing the crowds at the Staples Center in the second-largest media market in the world.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Why in the world would he even want to go to the Lakers, even if there wasn't a salary cap? Two or three years from now, the Lakers are going to be what the Celtics are now - a non-contending, mediocre, too old playoff team on the verge of a major collapse. They already have lengthy, expensive contracts set up with a bunch of 30 and 31-year-olds, including the rapidly-aging Kobe who's been having injury problems this year. Plus, the Lakers have a history of drama happening as soon as another star joins the roster - remember the feuds between Kobe and Shaq?

If I were LeBron, I'd much rather go down the hall to the Clippers, where at least they would have a hope of contending with a major free-agent addition. The Clips are seen as a hard-working team (despite their complete lack of effort since the All-Star Break this year) with little to no drama on or off the court between players, they have a talented young core (DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin, and Eric Gordon) that will keep them in contention even after Kaman or Davis (depending on who they keep) retire, and he would still be wowing the crowds at the Staples Center in the second-largest media market in the world.

Yeah, so LeBron would replace Kobe on the best team in the NBA already. Don't think that'd be a "collapse".

6fQjS3M.png

I won't believe it til I see it.

The Clips' owner, whatever his name is, has got to be THE greediest pricks in all of sports. He's never been one to care about the fans -- which is why the Clippers have none!

This is exactly why I would imagine they will redesign their uniforms - to sell out what little tradition they have for a temporary merchandising boost as people buy their new apparel.

Is anyone buying their old apparel? I seem to remember a Fresh Prince of Bel Air episode where Santa was wearing Clippers gear because he had a warehouse full of it taht he couldn't move.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 4 weeks later...

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-81998123364095_2105_651322086

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-81998123364095_2105_652343443

The best quality images around of the new Clippers logo. Looks like, in addition to the basketball, the "LOS ANGELES" font has been changed to Univers, and I think they tweaked the "C" a little bit.

Wow. Seriously? I mean, it is an improvement, but I thought they were rebranding--Baron Davis promised me!

*sigh* Oh well. At least they fixed the stray line issue...

About correcting the stray line issue... I connected the lines and it's still off. Even worse :wacko:

[edit] I do see a line peaking out behind the minute hand but it still seems off.

Aw, I liked my cheap slapdash primary suggestion. And since cheap and slapdash is how the Clippers operate, I figured there was a good chance they'd use something close to that!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Clippers need a new logo and consistency.First they need to pick a wordmark. Either the one from the logo or the script one works for me, but they need to drop the one they don't chose entirely. Then they need to design a new logo based around the script they do pick that doesn't come off as a Lakers knock-off.

And they need to relocate. PERIOD.

Archived