ECHL Redesign

chickenfish13

Hey Guys.

I've been dying to start a new series lately, and hopefully I can be good enough to stick with this one until the very end. Ive been working on this for awhile now, so many teams are already ready for posting, which is why I'm starting to post them now.

I wanted to choose another hockey league, and decided on the ECHL. There are a couple teams where I won't do anything with the primary, because I really like some of the primaries ( e.g. alaska aces ) but other than that it should be close to a total rebrand.

So, here's the first team, the Alaska Aces:

alaskaacesprimary.png

As mentioned, I hardly did anything to the primary, as its one of my favorite logos in all of sports. I pretty much just changed the color of the trees, to eliminate an unused color. I really like the color scheme here, as its kind of a charcoal, light blue, and silver, which is fairly unique. The jerseys are new, and I really just went with I thought looked good, and I'll let you guys either back me up on that, or pitch ideas. On the home and away, the shoulder patch is the bear head coming out from the mountains. On the third jersey, the primary crest is the modified bear head.

alaskaacesfinal.png

alaskaacesfinalaway.png

Thanks for viewing, and I know starting another series is a bit ambitious, but I'm going to push through to the end ( I hope )

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logo is nice, but the uniforms are incredibly boring, and you don't even have the full uniform set.

A couple ideas to go for with the unis: Maybe make some claw marks, incorperate the snowflakes and mountains into the design. I'd also make the image alot bigger.

I know I don't have backs to the jerseys, pants, socks, and everything, and - call me lazy - but I don't really see any point to them. If you guys think thats just laziness, and a bad quality, then I can add them in, but I think the front of the jersey is the main focus. Thanks for the ideas on the jerseys, I'll wait for some more feedback, then try and improve them.

The logo is nice, but the uniforms are incredibly boring, and you don't even have the full uniform set.

A couple ideas to go for with the unis: Maybe make some claw marks, incorperate the snowflakes and mountains into the design. I'd also make the image alot bigger.

I know I don't have backs to the jerseys, pants, socks, and everything, and - call me lazy - but I don't really see any point to them. If you guys think thats just laziness, and a bad quality, then I can add them in, but I think the front of the jersey is the main focus. Thanks for the ideas on the jerseys, I'll wait for some more feedback, then try and improve them.

Well, I think from a design standpoint, it's really necessary. There could be a simple wrap-around stripe that you could have so that a back version of the jersey would be needed. Also, you might have a good concept, but when pairing it with white pants, for example, it'd really set it off, and it'd turn out looking great.

That's just my opinion.

I like your update on the logo. The shoulder patches are nice. But the alternate jersey logo doesn't look good on the jersey. The jerseys are plain (I know you could do better). The third jersey looks incomplete, no patches? The polar bear head logo looks really awkward. It doesn't end in a natural place.

Quote Well, I think from a design standpoint, it's really necessary. There could be a simple wrap-around stripe that you could have so that a back version of the jersey would be needed. Also, you might have a good concept, but when pairing it with white pants, for example, it'd really set it off, and it'd turn out looking great.

That's just my opinion. Quote

OK, I get that. If more people think it's a must, I'll work it in the update.

The integration of mountains onto the jersey will probably make it look like the pre-Edge Avalanche set.

OK, I updated the original post with the new jerseys. I'm not sure why it decided to cut off the collar on the back, but oh well. Here are some of the updates:

- Sublimated snowflake design on the arms on the home and away

- Claw marks on the home and away

- Different third jersey (not too sure about it )

- Added third jersey shoulder

- Added backs to the jerseys, im holding off on pants and socks for now

Thats pretty much it, like I mentioned not too sure about the third, it might still be a bit plain.

The update looks fantastic, but the alternate still seems out of place. I don't understand the one horizontal stripe, it looks awkward and misplaced.

The numbers look a little small like others have said, and the way youve got it all in one block looks a bit bad. I think you should create the two numbers separately and adjust them accordingly.

Love the update, especially the home and away.

These are ok, but definitely need some work. The easiest issue for you to address would be the names and numerals. Other posters have already pointed these issues out.

My recommendations would be to: 1)Increase (or stop decreasing) the vertical on the type. Everything looks flat and squashed. Or, if necessary, use a typeface that isn't--by nature--so squat. 2)Use some separation (kerning) between the individual forms. Especially on the numbers: they're simply too close together. Finally, 3)Use a thinner outline/smaller stroke on the type. This is also causing everything to run together.

Furthermore, everything looks pretty high up on the back of the jersey, at least to my eye. Be sure to take a look at the entire piece and consider the overall composition. Do you really see a team on the ice with names and numbers looking like that? If not, make the necessary tweaks to position, size, etc.

Besides the type, the other main problem I have is the disconnect between the visual style of the logo and the style you've created in the uniforms. Look at how dynamic that logo is: It has great sweeping curves and motion lines, italicized and skewed text, detailed shading on elements such as the bear and mountains, sharp contrast between elements (bright stars on dark background), and multiple layers of depth throughout. And on the jersey it's paired with... two traditional, flat, side-by-side stripes. When I look at the logo on the uniform, it just doesn't fit.

I guess you've tried to liven it up a bit with the sublimated stars (By the way, I don't think that treatment is working. Again, look at how they are treated in the logo: bright white against a dark background.) and the claw marks, but those both feel like perfunctory afterthoughts. I think you'd be well served to try to bring some of the elements from the logo that make it so dynamic and interesting into the jersey.

The alternate uniform also seems random and needs lots of work, but I think you should concentrate on rectifying the home and away jerseys, then go back and rebuild the alternate around them. There's lots to do, but keep working at it and you'll get there.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I know, I love the Aces logo. Some logos here i wont touch, because I like them too much, and there very well designed. New logos for some though, such as bakersfield ( which I guess is kind of an update ) victoria, wheeling, idaho, kalamazoo, johnstown, cincinnati, the list goes on.

So much better! I would like to see more white in the striping without eliminating the silver in the uniform. I still don't like that number font, I would LOVE for you to try and develop a custom number font similar to the 'Aces' font in the primary, and have it on a slant (if you need some tips on creating the custom font, just ask.) Your shoulder patches also don't match up; one of them needs to end.

This is looking great so far, keep it up!

Archived