Supermarket Packaging Changes

Coast2CoastAM2006

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It appears most of the design changes were to tone things down. I've noticed this minimalist trend in website design as well. Some of them I like (like the new 7-Up bottle), but others look more like design downgrades. It used to be that packaging was indicative of a certain era. Now a lot of the packaging borrows from the generic designs of past eras. Instant dating...some good, some not so good.

It appears most of the design changes were to tone things down. I've noticed this minimalist trend in website design as well. Some of them I like (like the new 7-Up bottle), but others look more like design downgrades. It used to be that packaging was indicative of a certain era. Now a lot of the packaging borrows from the generic designs of past eras. Instant dating...some good, some not so good.

I know, a coca-cola sign on a dlei or what have you, from the 70s don't look dated now. But yea in general design all over is taking a look at past designs and realizing what was the best and is sticking with that, or if they introduce a new logo now, its usually in 2 or 3 colors. Mello Yello returned to the philly area earlier this year and has packaging inspired by the 70s design. Also of course, in sports theres a good number of teams going back to older designs of uniforms and getting rid of what they changed to 10 years ago or so.

I know, a coca-cola sign on a dlei or what have you, from the 70s don't look dated now. But yea in general design all over is taking a look at past designs and realizing what was the best and is sticking with that, or if they introduce a new logo now, its usually in 2 or 3 colors. Mello Yello returned to the philly area earlier this year and has packaging inspired by the 70s design. Also of course, in sports theres a good number of teams going back to older designs of uniforms and getting rid of what they changed to 10 years ago or so.

The packaging changes to more simple designs are probably being driven by the prolonged bad economy. People see a fancy label and they assume it costs more. Likewise, they see a blander, toned down package design, and think it is a lower priced option. Most people aren't so dumb as to be tricked by the product's marketing & design dept., but apparently enough are to affect margins.

Calling all Colas "coke" is fine by me. We do that with Kleenex and Band-aids, why not cola? If I want a cola I'm gonna say "coke" and I'm gonna get asked "is Pepsi okay?" But to apply the term to lemon-lime drinks, root beer, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, etc. is absurd. I say "pop" because that's where I'm from and "soda" makes sense wherever you're from too.

Just wanted to throw my late two cents in.

• 1 month later...

Actually, this is the new one I've been seeing in the midwest:

sierra_mist_print_lake.jpg

i honestly prefer SM natural over sprite, 7-up and regular sierra mist.

I really like the way they went about re-branding Sierra Mist. The previous incarnation after the Pepsi-rebrand where it had the dissolving font was interesting, but sucked the marketability out of it. The SM-Natural has a great clean look and hell - I'd drink one right now. And it's 5am.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived