2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NEW.ERA

If you're going to argue that widespread use of "sucks" doesn't imply sucking, then you have to concede that middle schoolers around the country casually use "gay" just to mean "lame," rather than actually homosexual.

So it's come to this, huh.

Ok. The next time a thread around here gets derailed because someone says a logo sucks and gets called out for it, you let me know.

I'm right here.

Sucks has moved into it's own zone in which it's meaning really is lame. It has. And by my knowledge it doesn't offend anyone (short of the person or group being told they suck.)

Gay has not made that transition, and I'm not sure it will. Gay is frequently used as lame, but it's offensive in that use.

Seventh graders sometimes make the connection in their head (and don't mind it) and sometimes they just do it because it's what being said. But 7th grade is hardly the place to determine societal right and wrongs.

Are you really saying sucks is offensive? Or that gay isn't?

Look, I'll absolve the Blackhawks in this instance. It very well may have been one of the many people in that lockerroom. My discussion here has nothing to do with the original picture that introduced it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, we all suck.

No, no, it's just Justin. He already corrected me on the singularity of the original quote.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived