AFL Rebrands

9erssteve

Okay first off apologies for the ridiculous delay on this. With all the Edinburgh Wolves regular season home games complete I'm free of projects to do for them so can turn my attentions back to this one.

After feedback on the first draft, the guns have been dropped and used to create a secondary logo (which may or may not get used on the uni's, still working on them just now) and the skull on it's own with the addition of the Texas flag as the hat band along with a few other tweaks is now the primary. I've also reworked the logotype and produced a helmet layout as well. In keeping with the Battlewings helmet I've tried to do something more creative with the helmet stripes than I would have tried for say an NFL concept.

As always C&C very much appreciated and I'll hopefully have uni designs up with a day or so, but as I stated with the previous teams uni's are really my thing so dont expect anything outstanding!

9erssteve

Current Logo:

Dallas.jpg

Rebrand:

Vigilantes-logo-slick-one.png

9ersstevesig.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the inversion of the flag on the primary logo.... flip the flag around and I think this is a winner.

I'd also experiment with a black helmet.... I think the highlights on the logo would really pop...

Inversion in what sense? You mean that the Blue is on the right instead of the left? Cos if it was a real hat band I'd envisage the blue being a central block and the red and white stripes joining it on both sides. That way you dont need to have two versions of the primary. I mean if it's a major issue that's gonna causes Texans to hate it (genuine question I dont know many Texans and have no idea if the flag that way would offend?) the easiest fix would be to flip the primary to face the other way so on the majority of things the flag is accurate, the only other option is two versions of the primary and it's not something I'd be overly keen on doing it just creates a lot of hassle, and you end up with the whole mismatch Baltimore Ravens logo thing going on and I hate that. I figured on the grounds that the current Vigilantes logo has it both ways round it wouldn't really be a major stumbling block, but if people say otherwise then it's certainly something I'll address.

I've tried it on a black helmet and yeah the highlights look ok but you completely lose the cheekbones and the skull as a whole loses something, and I dont want to add a keyline to the whole thing as that would totally defeat the purpose of putting it on a black helmet. Plus I'm really trying to steer clear of black as a main colour as much as possible, there just seems to be an ever increasing trend towards making everything black and to be honest I find it pretty dull.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I think I'd pull the brim of the hat down over they eyebrows a little bit and exaggerate the width of the hat a little bit. It's straddling a fine line between looking like a stetson and looking like a regular mens hat. The DV has none of the same visual language as the guns. If it's going to just be slapped on top of them, it needs similar language to avoid looking, well, slapped on :grin:, i.e. a thick black outline. My suggestion would be to change the angle of the guns to make a v shape and then place a nice D right in the negative space of that V shape.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The primary looks ridiculous, the addition of the silverish shading/shadows adds a dramatic feel to the logo, and it almost looks as if the lighting is extreme, which again adds to the dramatic feel. The hat could be lower on the face, but I don't think it's a huge issue.

The helmet; CRAZY. The 'flag stripe' on the helmet? SICK. I wouldn't change the helmet a bit.

The guns look a little odd still, I agree with andrew about tilting them inward a bit, I feel that it would help make the logo less horizontal, which is a plus for you.

You've got me dying to see some uniforms...

I love it. I can't wait to see the rest of the set. I really love that wordmark, but I agree with C Jay Z and andrew on the guns. I'd tilt the guns more to make more of a V shape.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Both of these concepts are top-knotch. I like that you decided to keep the current color-scheme for the Battlewings and love the idea for the helmet stripes. I think that the uniforms SCREAM Arena League...but in a good way. A+

Dallas, again a huge improvement. I agree that the original logo is way too busy with the pistols and it seems a little too horizontal. I like what you've done with the secondary logo. Again, a great idea with the helmet stripes. Another A+.

This thread really makes me wish that the New Orleans VooDoo were still around. I would love to see your take on that (although I LOVE the primary logo they used).

gYH2mW9.png

I love this, dude. You made an absolutely terrible Arena team look great in their ineptitude.

That being said, I want to echo the sentiments about the gun logo. I'd lose the "DV" and tilt the guns inward, more like crossed swords.

Also, have you considered darkening the blue? It's closer to Chicago Cubs blue than a true Texan blue (which is closer to navy; not quite, but close).

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I love this, dude. You made an absolutely terrible Arena team look great in their ineptitude.

That being said, I want to echo the sentiments about the gun logo. I'd lose the "DV" and tilt the guns inward, more like crossed swords.

Also, have you considered darkening the blue? It's closer to Chicago Cubs blue than a true Texan blue (which is closer to navy; not quite, but close).

Not a problem I just took rough colour samples from the current logo and made an approximate pantone match to those. I've just done a bit of digging and found the correct pantone colours for the Texas flag so I'll update all the colours accordingly.

Yeah I'll be the first to admit that the secondary logo still needs work, which is why I said it may not make it onto the uniforms. I'm not so worried about it being extremely horizontal as if it does survive I'd planned on using it on the sleeves so something wider that it is tall would be perfect as it seems sleeves are getting harder and harder to find on modern football jerseys! I've tried creating a V with the pistols but it doesn't really read to well as a V, and they really look better crossed, I may ditch the V altogether and just put the D above the crossed guns, but part of me is thinking I might just drop the secondary completely. I drew the guns in the hope of making them work with the primary but it just wasn't gonna happen and I kinda feel I'm just keeping them around cos I've drawn them and it's a pretty weak reason if you ask me. If they're not adding to the package, and right now I dont really think they are it's probably best just to consign them to the scrap heap, but we'll see.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll get colour updates and uni's up as soon as possible.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Okay, updates to the colours so they match the actual pantones for the Texas Flag (altho for some reason the red seems more vibrant since I png'd it - may need some advice from ColorWerx for future concepts). DV dropped from the secondary, and first stab at Uni's.

C&C's much appreciated. Thanks

9erssteve

Vigilantes-logo-slick-two.png

Vigilantes-unis1.png

9ersstevesig.png

Skeletor's gone western!

If you have the logo facing left instead of right (as seen on the reverse helment) that would fix the flag direction issue. maybe that should be the primary direction of the logo?

This is really a great concept. I don't LOVE the jersey numerals though. a little hard to read

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Great work on these. I love the Texas flag pants stripe and the logos look great.

One criticism is the gun logo looks a little weird on the shoulders. Maybe try to put the gun on the sleeve and the numbers on the shoulders.

RockiesSig.png

Okay here's what I hope will be the final tweaks to this set, unless someone has some really great suggestion that is, cos I've been looking at this off an on for over a month and a half now and need to move onto something new.

I've moved the guns down to the sleeves, which is where I'd intended on putting them to begin with, but when I saw the Battlewings uni I'd done it had the logos in the exact same place and I thought maybe I should try something different just to change it up a bit. But with a few hours away from it and in light of all the comments it's pretty clear that this wasn't the uni to be trying something different with, so numbers up on the shoulders it is. I've also opened up the 3 a little to aid legibility and on the logo sheet I've flipped the primary mark to solve the Texas flag issue as well.

As always C&C's welcomed and appreciated, in the meantime I think I'll start trying to tidy up the gradient-a-palooza that is the Milwaukee Iron logo next, so stayed tuned.

9erssteve

Vigilantes-logo-slick-three-2.png

Vigilantes-unis2.png

9ersstevesig.png

Archived