2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe the story. How does the contract circumvent the cap? If it's based on average salary and the contract is structured so that his salary is whatever, yet under the cap, how is that circumventing the cap? To me it's creative and everyone complaining about it, is just a bunch of whiners. Everyone had the opportunity to do this deal, only the Devils chose to do the deal this way and the numbers this way. By the way, who wrote the story and where are the sources? To me it just sounds like someone who is bitter and made the story up, and this is coming from a Kings fan.

It's not the Devils' fault the league agreed to contract language with a loophole the size of Lindsay Lohan's hoo-hah. Now the league is trying to close the loophole, based on, what, the fact that they were too stupid to figure out it was there initially? Are they going to retroactively nix previous ridiculous front-loaded contracts, like Hossa's, now?

This does not bode well for the end of the next CBA in 2012.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's not the Devils' fault the league agreed to contract language with a loophole the size of Lindsay Lohan's hoo-hah. Now the league is trying to close the loophole, based on, what, the fact that they were too stupid to figure out it was there initially?

This does not bode well for the end of the next CBA in 2012.

Thanks for the lasting image that's going to haunt me all night. :unsure:

Anyhow, it's good that Bettman shot that deal down. 17 years is far too long for a contract and what if he starts to decline in talent in say, Year 6 or 7 of that deal? Also, what if he wanted to leave the Devils for greener pastures? Who in their bright mind would want to pick up that tab??

Anyhow, it's good that Bettman shot that deal down.

No, it's not, when it means that one of the parties which will be entering potentially touch-and-go contract renegotiations in two years is firing the first shot across the bough, and brazenly acting in bad faith. Did I mention Donald Fehr is probably going to be named head of the NHLPA sometime soon? The only way in which this is "good" is if you are, in fact, David Stern.

17 years is far too long for a contract and what if he starts to decline in talent in say, Year 6 or 7 of that deal?

See Islanders, New York; DiPietro, Rick.

No, wait, scratch that, this would be the first time ever in recorded history that a team would look stupid for signing a guy to a bloated long-term deal that tanked. My mistake.

Also, what if he wanted to leave the Devils for greener pastures? Who in their bright mind would want to pick up that tab??

Well, that's a decision for the owners and their millions of dollars to make, isn't it? I'd like the Blackhawks to shove Brian Campbell's contract down someone else's throat, but if no one's dumb to take it, then that's the Blackhawks' fault. And if the Hawks find a sucker, well then, yeah-ah-ayyyayay, it's a party in the U.S.A.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This coming from a Flyers fan. This is complete BS on the league's part and makes them look childish. The rules are set in stone. The Devils didn't break any of the rules. They signed a guy to a legal contract and that contract should be honored. The league may not want deals like this going down, and if that's the case, then next CBA they need to rewrite the language appropriately.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Of course this is bad for the CBA in 2012, that is when Gary Bettman will finish off the NHL and join with David Stern in celebration of a job well done, because lets face it from Day 1 Bettman's mission was to destroy hockey and he has done an excellent job.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

it pretty obviously violates this

1zgyd8w.jpg

The NHL can't cherry-pick like this. This is Marian Hossa all over again.

"We're investigating this ill-intentioned contract!"

"The Red Wings just did it twice!"

"No, theirs were okay."

"But seriously they did the same thing I stole it from them because I used to work th--"

"THEIRS WERE OKAY"

I think the Devils are making a colossal mistake by committing so much money to a player who isn't very good, but it's a legal mistake.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is it stupid that the Devils could sign Ilya to a 17 year deal? Oh yeah. Is it illegal? No. I'd love for them to elaborate on how its circumventing the cap when so many other contracts that came before it were approved with no problem. They cant make this stuff up as they go along. They are getting their just desserts for making the cap hit the average amount of salary. How could they have not known that this was going to happen? Go back and change it in 2012, but you cant make up a rule thats not in there right now. Just cant, its garbage and its bush league. I could give a rats ass about the Devils or Kovalchuk, but whats going to happen when Steven Stamkos needs himself a new deal, and Stevie Yzerman says "Hey Steve, lets get you locked up long term, hows 16 years sound for you?" Or John Tavares? Give me a break.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

it pretty obviously violates this

Ok, but who's to say what circumvention is? A judge? That would be strictly one person's opinion versus another. Unless there is language that says that you specifically cannot do what the Devils have done, this should hold up. Looks like a court case in the making.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Archived