2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm completely in favor of a 3-point standings system (3 for regulation win, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss) that's caught on in Europe. It probably makes too much sense for the NHL, though.

Somebody adopted that? Good.

I assume the revised tie break is ham handed to put an end to teams "playing for the shootout" in the overtime period. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be successful, and likely further increase the complexity of the standings grid.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I get the symmetry of reliably splitting three points accordingly, but I am unwavering in my belief that wins and losses should be the only possible outcomes of games. Taking longer to win shouldn't diminish the value of the win (sometimes the overtime wins are the biggest wins you have all year), and taking longer to lose shouldn't be rewarded. You win or you lose. That's it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 Ducks items:

- Paul Mara has signed a one-year $750,000 contract (At least he's a defenseman. I just wanted any I suppose, although he doesn't really improve the overall quality of the D corps. I'd rather just keep Cam Fowler up there, but he has to "develop.")

- Stephane Veilleux will attend Ducks camp on a tryout

- Toni Lydman had a severe case of double vision (possible migraine issue) the other day and will miss the start of training camp.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Brendan Morrison will, apparently, be attending the Canucks' training camp on a Pro Tryout basis.

I knew there was a reason they haven't given out #7 since he left.

Have you forgotten the abomination that was the "7th Man" promotion?

I tried. Oh, god, how I tried.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I get the symmetry of reliably splitting three points accordingly, but I am unwavering in my belief that wins and losses should be the only possible outcomes of games. Taking longer to win shouldn't diminish the value of the win (sometimes the overtime wins are the biggest wins you have all year), and taking longer to lose shouldn't be rewarded. You win or you lose. That's it.

Except you shouldn't win or lose based on gimmicky bullcrap like the shootout.

- Toni Lydman had a severe case of double vision (possible migraine issue) the other day and will miss the start of training camp.

Fill your eyes...with DOUBLE VISION

1zgyd8w.jpg

It's only gimmicky because you say so. You could say going to four-on-four overtime is gimmicky bullcrap, but some people like that. If distilling the game down to shooter vs. goalie after 65 to 70 minutes had been a time-honored hockey tradition instead of "let's say it's a tie so everybody sorta wins," nobody would mind.

People were mad about the NHL discontinuing ties because ties "made the game unique." I'd say dueling penalty shots make the game unique too, and have the added benefit of being rather compelling. Third, cancelling your league's entire season because you've gone broke from nobody attending your games made the game unique, but nobody's wearing that badge.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pat Burns died this morning, ending his battle with cancer. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewest/Former+coach+Burns+loses+battle+with+cancer/3540050/story.html

Burns was a three time winner of the Jack Adams Award with Montreal, Toronto and Boston, and won the Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils. He was one of my favourite coaches, and a guy you couldn't help but like. Good bye Pat, thanks for the memories.

It's only gimmicky because you say so. You could say going to four-on-four overtime is gimmicky bullcrap, but some people like that. If distilling the game down to shooter vs. goalie after 65 to 70 minutes had been a time-honored hockey tradition instead of "let's say it's a tie so everybody sorta wins," nobody would mind.

It IS a gimmick. How many breakaways happen in a regular game? And now 5 or 6 of them, maybe more, are going to decide a point in a couple minutes?

College football overtime is bad because it takes away part of the game to artificially increase the chances of a team scoring. Shootouts are even worse in that regard. THAT is why it's a gimmick. It'd be like baseball playing home run derby after 10 innings, or starting innings with guys already on base.

There is no better proof that shootouts are a gimmick than looking at which teams and which players are the best at them.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Pat Burns died this morning, ending his battle with cancer. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewest/Former+coach+Burns+loses+battle+with+cancer/3540050/story.html

Burns was a three time winner of the Jack Adams Award with Montreal, Toronto and Boston, and won the Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils. He was one of my favourite coaches, and a guy you couldn't help but like. Good bye Pat, thanks for the memories.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=334088

He's still fighting.

He's still fighting.

"Here we go again," said the three-time NHL coach of the year. "They're trying to kill me before I'm dead. I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I'm dead. I'm not dead, far (expletive) from it. They've had me dead since June. Tell them I'm alive. Set them straight."

Wow.

Pat Burns died this morning, ending his battle with cancer. http://www.vancouver...0050/story.html

He's still fighting.

"Here we go again," said the three-time NHL coach of the year. "They're trying to kill me before I'm dead. I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I'm dead. I'm not dead, far (expletive) from it. They've had me dead since June. Tell them I'm alive. Set them straight."

Wow.

My bad, lord knows I don't want to put him in the ground either.

People were mad about the NHL discontinuing ties because ties "made the game unique." I'd say dueling penalty shots make the game unique too, and have the added benefit of being rather compelling. Third, cancelling your league's entire season because you've gone broke from nobody attending your games made the game unique, but nobody's wearing that badge.

So does that make the NBA unique because it's had its referees betting on games?

He's still fighting.

Wow.

So we have a modern-day Mark Twain situation, huh?

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived