The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Here?

NBA-VIC-GOL.jpg

Saw this at UniWatch. Paul said he could "Neither confirm nor deny" that this is the new logo...

I like the colours. The bridge is ok. But the font's dull and there's nothing that screams "NBA" to me. It could just as easy be the logo for the Oakland tourism board or something.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's bad, but you're right - it's missing something.

Give the large yellow sun some basketball lines, and it'd be much better. Seems sort of obvious, really.

Yeah, angled basketball lines in white... win.

A team actually going back to royal blue and athletc gold? Seriously? That would be amazing. Now if we could just get the Rams and Brewers to jump on board.

A team actually going back to royal blue and athletc gold? Seriously? That would be amazing. Now if we could just get the Rams and Brewers to jump on board.

We can only hope.

Looking at it again, the coolest thing about this logo is that it features the new Eastern Span of the Bay Bridge:

wdview.jpg

They've come full-circle. First they played in San Francisco and used the Golden Gate Bridge, now they play in Oakland and will wear the Bay Bridge on their chests.

I agree, 1000x better than their current crap, and I am thrilled to see these colors back. Still, something is missing. My biggest problem is that the outer gold outline is offcenter. Hopefully this is just a sloppy rendering.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I just hope the jerseys add flavor, I'm so tired of this boring retro/over simplification of NBA jerseys.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I agree, 1000x better than their current crap, and I am thrilled to see these colors back. Still, something is missing. My biggest problem is that the outer gold outline is offcenter. Hopefully this is just a sloppy rendering.

This. It's really glaring, and it drags down an otherwise nice, if not a tad simplistic, logo.

I just hope the jerseys add flavor, I'm so tired of this boring retro/over simplification of NBA jerseys.

If I may ask, which team(s) are you referring to? The 76ers? While they may have gone back to the retro logo (which isn't great, but it's better then the 97-09 look) the uniforms are actually pretty modern. They're minimalist, sure, but the design they use certainly isn't "retro."

If I may ask, which team(s) are you referring to? The 76ers? While they may have gone back to the retro logo (which isn't great, but it's better then the 97-09 look) the uniforms are actually pretty modern. They're minimalist, sure, but the design they use certainly isn't "retro."

The 76ers and the Mavs alt come to mind.

Well the logo design harkens back to a retro idea, very minimalist. That can be nice, but to me it's just kind of hollow. But the warriors are overdue for something simpler anyway.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

After some quick investigation, the seller of this watch has tons of others listed, most with standard logos that we've all seen. Except these:

NBA-VIC-ORL.jpg

NBA-VIC-CLE.jpg

NBA-VIC-LAC.jpg

I couldn't remember what other NBA teams are meant to get new logos.

Notice the Clippers basketball is rotated (subtle change, but makes a difference) and the Cavs colors seem differen, which would jive with the previous reports.

Not only that, but it appears that the Clips' logo has been cleaned up a little bit--that "mystery line" has also been removed.

I think the OP might have really stumbled onto something here--but if THAT is the "new" Clippers logo, I'll just bring my hopes down now in regards to any substantial update for the overall identity, to include uniforms.

(Oh, and BOO to the yellowgold if that is in fact the "new gold" the Cavs are going with. Champagne gold looks far better.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wuh-oh...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Colorwerx, where'd you find that one? I looked all over his site and couldn't find the Jazz or Thunder watches.

I just copied the source image from one of the previously posted images and changed the last portion of the filename to 'UTA'.

I'll see if I can find any others that may have been missed. (If someone else doesn't beat me to it.)

ennghhhhh

I'm not so impressed...I dont understand why the only two options with new logos seems to be over-the-top new age (sixers previous set, warriors current) or drab, dull boring retro (this warriors watch logo, new sixers set)

can't we marry the two and get a 'best of both worlds' type of identity?

adding black, adding 'swooshes' and italicizing the wordmark doesn't automatically make a great logo, and neither does stripping out all design elements, using boring colors, and going 'retro' for no reason whatsoever doesn't automatically make a great logo

I don't get the obsession with looking like it's the year 2050 or looking like it's 1950...it's 2010...they should be able to design a new look that is modern, versatile and unique without going to one extreme or the other

Archived