The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Wow I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. IMO it's an upgrade from a consistency standpoint, but a downgrade overall. While I hate goofy childish logos / wordmarks, they've had it since they've existed, and it's much more identifiable than their current drab wordmark. I'd rather them use that wordmark with all of their gear, and possibly a slightly updated version of the Shaq number font.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golden State, It's simple, if a little to simple. I like the subtle update of the old "CITY" logo by replacing Golden Gate with the Eastern Span Bridge. I hope the uneven border is just poor rendering on the part of the watchmaker, otherwise it's a pretty big flaw. All in all though, it's better then the robo-Warrior look they currently use. Also, I think I'm the only one who doesn't want to see basketball lines added. Why must every NBA logo feature a basketball in some way? Adding basketball lines to this logo would just add needless clutter.

Orlando, well from a consistency standpoint it's a huge upgrade. Then again I think it's just as weak as their previous two logos. The magic streaking basketball logo by itself would make a great logo, why does it have to be paired with a wordmark?

Cleveland, unnecessary. It doesn't look bad, all the good elements from the current set are there. It's just change for the sake of change. The current look's the best they've ever had, and if they kept to it they would be one of the best looking teams in the NBA. This update, like their numerous alternates, is just unnecessary.

LA Clippers, you know what? I like it. It's a wonder what a small tweak can do. It fixes the most obvious flaw in the current logo. True, it's still a Lakers knock-off, but at least they fixed something. My hope is they introduce new uniforms with the tweaked logo that use the wordmark from the logo on the uniforms for some much needed consistency.

Jazz, it's better then what they have. The colour scheme isn't what I would have used. I like the idea behind gold, blue, and green, but not in the way the new Jazz mark utilizes it. A dark navy, kelly green, and old gold would look terrific. The navy, forest, and athletic gold used just doesn't do it for me. At least they changed the basketball to a modern design in the update though. That old-style basketball design really held back the classic J/not logo.

The "new" Magic primary looks as I thought it would, with the same wordmark as their current jersey set. I swear i've seen this logo used before on print somewhere here in Orlando during last season's Playoff run, I just can't remember where. Anyways, I think its a simple improvement from the cartoon-ish primary we've had since the T-Mac era. I really hope they introduce the black alternate jersey next season to accompany the new primary release, its been quite sometime since we've had a perminant black jersey(Hardwood Classic every-other year does not count). The Magic imo are one of few teams that can pull off the black jersey look.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

LA Clippers, you know what? I like it. It's a wonder what a small tweak can do. It fixes the most obvious flaw in the current logo. True, it's still a Lakers knock-off, but at least they fixed something. My hope is they introduce new uniforms with the tweaked logo that use the wordmark from the logo on the uniforms for some much needed consistency.

That'd be hideous, IMO. They need to keep the script, it's the nicest in the NBA. Besides, if they used the wordmark from the logo, they'd be too similar to the Fakers' unis. I'm hoping for a more modern uniform in a desperate attempt to market to premiere free agents this summer.

As for the primary, it's absolutely perfect now. They shouldn't change a thing. This will probably be their logo for the next twenty or thirty years.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Warriors- Logo looks okay, but like others have said, there looks like something is missing. I actually liked their old uniforms (not the logo, but I really liked the color scheme and how the jerseys looked), so I would rather they kept the navy, orange, and yellow.

Magic- It's good that they are matching the script to their jersey. But now the ball which is pretty jagged doesn't really look great on top of the rounded script.

Cavs- Eh, I like the gold they have now better.

Clippers- Definately an upgrade, but I was hoping they would move in a new direction instead of just updating their logo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Here?

NBA-VIC-GOL.jpg

Saw this at UniWatch. Paul said he could "Neither confirm nor deny" that this is the new logo...

I like the colours. The bridge is ok. But the font's dull and there's nothing that screams "NBA" to me. It could just as easy be the logo for the Oakland tourism board or something.

Has anyone considered that the Warriors might put uniform numbers in the circle above the bridge, ala:

7226_310_85CMULL_M.jpg

I think the Cavaliers' new gold color will make more sense when we see the uniforms, that is to say, we'll see that the metallic gold would not have worked as well within the new identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On that Clippers logo, did they maintain the stray line problem for identity consistency or was that another screw-up? Because those two line segments on the left definitely do not match up. Again.

I don't think the Warriors' weird outline is a rendering mistake, as it appears on another watch.

Regardless, that weirdness isn't even the worst part of the logo - Copperplate is.

Better quality versions of the others:

Magic

Clippers

Jazz

Cavs

Kings - that grey definitely is different.

And interestingly enough, almost all their Phoenix Suns watches use the "PHX" logo. I'm thinking that means the Suns are switching to that as the primary - but that's just an opinion of mine, not fact.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Oh geeez.

Not impressed, to say the least.

The only one I like is the Magic's. I like the fact that they went with the updated wordmark, if that is in fact the new primary.

I'm not sold that is the Cavs new logo. Unless reports were wrong. Didn't the reports say that Navy would be just about eliminated? And the font would change slightly? I don't see a change to the logo, just the colors...

As for the Clippers... Pitiful. The basketball does look better, but of all the things they could've done...?

Warriors is an update, especially if it's just those colors. Their current identity is crap, so yeaa.

I'm still holding out hope though. Something doesn't seem right.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Here?

NBA-VIC-GOL.jpg

Saw this at UniWatch. Paul said he could "Neither confirm nor deny" that this is the new logo...

I like the colours. The bridge is ok. But the font's dull and there's nothing that screams "NBA" to me. It could just as easy be the logo for the Oakland tourism board or something.

Has anyone considered that the Warriors might put uniform numbers in the circle above the bridge, ala:

7226_310_85CMULL_M.jpg

Hmm. OK, that would actually be pretty nice, and would explain the open space in the circle.

And interestingly enough, almost all their Phoenix Suns watches use the "PHX" logo. I'm thinking that means the Suns are switching to that as the primary - but that's just an opinion of mine, not fact.

They can't, because "official" primary logos have to have the entire team name included (exceptions are grandfathered in). That's why the 76ers have that stupid box logo with PHILADELPHIA underneath the familiar logo. The PHX firebird is a backdoor primary akin to the fleur-de-bee.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They can't, because "official" primary logos have to have the entire team name included (exceptions are grandfathered in). That's why the 76ers have that stupid box logo with PHILADELPHIA underneath the familiar logo. The PHX firebird is a backdoor primary akin to the fleur-de-bee.

Seriously? I understand the logic behind that, but didn't realize it was an actual mandate.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Trolley's a little too gimmicky for me. This is a charter team, so they shouldn't act silly. Time for the Warriors to get serious about themselves again. I think this new primary is a step in the right direction, but if they're going to use Copperplate, the least they can do is outline it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived