The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

I think it's a good sign that they're going to market themselves to San Francisco proper more heavily and possibly explore building a new arena there. I think a move is likely.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, the video refers to their now former logo as the "ultimate warrior".

Interesting how they glossed over the native American references in their old logo sets. Also "the crowd roared - they thought those uniforms were the best ever" (or something like that) - give me a break. No crowd has ever cheered an opponent because their jerseys were cool. Especially not when their jerseys sucked.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Warriors Partial logo looks great with the basketball lines...

I completely disagree. The way those lines fan out looks awful! They're somewhat bearable on the Secondary Logo B, but not on that Partial Logo.

Side note: my favorite part of that video? "Sleepy Floyd is Superman!"

ujsignature.png

I really hope the leaks didn't force them to make some of these changes, as someone earlier said an ESPN article suggested.

Do teams really sacrifice a great design because they were prematurely leaked???

And the SF? I don't understand that at all, and I'd be a bit ticked if I lived in Oakland.

They?ve played in both cities and it?s been ?Golden State Warriors? since 1971; so I think it?s safe to say it?s a Bay Area team. So if they want to reference San Francisco, let 'em!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Everything is fine except the uniforms. A big blue spot centerend on a white jersey with large yellow side panels is not that great of an idea.

I agree with you, but I still think their font is very lazy. It needs to be more modern and less ... crappy.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I really hope the leaks didn't force them to make some of these changes, as someone earlier said an ESPN article suggested.

Do teams really sacrifice a great design because they were prematurely leaked???

And the SF? I don't understand that at all, and I'd be a bit ticked if I lived in Oakland.

They?ve played in both cities and it?s been ?Golden State Warriors? since 1971; so I think it?s safe to say it?s a Bay Area team. So if they want to reference San Francisco, let 'em!

They only play in Oakland now, so it may be "safe to call it a Bay Area team," but not a San Francisco team -- at least not without having an equal "O" mark to market to your hometown fans. They played in Philly, too...

And as far as your first question, it's in these 33 pages somewhere. I'll look for it.

EDIT: This May 21 ESPN story seems to be the one the earlier poster mentioned, but instead of saying the Warriors changed the logo, it just says they changed the logo reveal process. Perhaps the rest was speculation based on the differences between the watch logo and today's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/news/story?id=5205019

They only play in Oakland now, so it may be "safe to call it a Bay Area team," but not a San Francisco team -- at least not without having an equal "O" mark to market to your hometown fans. They played in Philly, too...

One could make the case that the entire logo is a big 'ol O.

One could make the case that the entire logo is a big 'ol O.

Thought about that, but the thin, uneven circle convinced me otherwise. Plus it's not Copperplate.

The Warriors Partial logo looks great with the basketball lines...

I completely disagree. The way those lines fan out looks awful! They're somewhat bearable on the Secondary Logo B, but not on that Partial Logo.

Side note: my favorite part of that video? "Sleepy Floyd is Superman!"

yeah those added bball lines for the partial and the secondary B are TERRIBLE...why not add lines like my iteration (boasting aside of course ;))?

GST-fix2.png

and yes, i also ascribe to the "the SF is not a good idea" thought.

I'm just saying they're the Bay Area team regardless of whether they play in Oakland or San Francisco. Besides, it's cooler to reference S.F. over "Oaksterdam".

They'll be in or moving to San Francisco in the next five years.

Where, back to the Cow Palace? :P

New arena. Oracle's getting old enough that they're about due to ask for a new one, which would preferably be located downtown (for the Giants effect) rather than a dumpy "sports complex" where nobody likes to go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New arena. Oracle's getting old enough that they're about due to ask for a new one, which would preferably be located downtown (for the Giants effect) rather than a dumpy "sports complex" where nobody likes to go.

Are there actual plans of this taking place, or is it more of a rumor that?s being tossed around?

There is talk about building am arena next to at&t park. But it would porbably be over 5 years. Since you still have to wait for new owner, build a arena and wait out the oakland lease.

1011GSWLOGOSHEETweb.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

There is talk about building am arena next to at&t park. But it would porbably be over 5 years. Since you still have to wait for new owner, build a arena and wait out the oakland lease.

So it's really speculation at this point....

So it's really speculation at this point....

All total speculation, it all started with one of the prospective buyers saying he wanted to move them to sf. Then the giants themselves talked about joining a bid and moving them. Supposedly Larry Ellison has had talks with the Giants about the land and asking them to wait before they decide to sell it or make something on it. In case he does get the team and wants to move them there.

That's why this alt SF logo is from left field and makes no sense. I guess the new logo design was all kept in house.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived