The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

The magic streaking basketball logo by itself would make a great logo, why does it have to be paired with a wordmark?

Yikes, that opinion makes me glad there's a rule that the team name must be in the logo...

I know my tastes run the complete oppposite, liking over-complex things, but I think isolated, over simplified things like that are much better left as secondary marks.

OH NOES! AN OPINION NOT MY OWN!

rolleyes.gif

The rolly eyes of doom!

Seriously, had he just left out the "Yikes! Opinions like this..." line I wouldn't have had a problem with his post.

You seem to be a little over sensitive about differing opinions lately.

/Opinion

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The streaking ball by itself is just okay and doesn't communicate enough by itself to be a primary logo unadorned by team name. Opinion.

That's fine, agree to disagree then.

The magic streaking basketball logo by itself would make a great logo, why does it have to be paired with a wordmark?

Yikes, that opinion makes me glad there's a rule that the team name must be in the logo...

I know my tastes run the complete oppposite, liking over-complex things, but I think isolated, over simplified things like that are much better left as secondary marks.

OH NOES! AN OPINION NOT MY OWN!

rolleyes.gif

The rolly eyes of doom!

Seriously, had he just left out the "Yikes! Opinions like this..." line I wouldn't have had a problem with his post.

You seem to be a little over sensitive about differing opinions lately.

/Opinion

Maybe. I've been somewhat high-strung lately.

Had he just said "I disagree about the Magic's logo" that's cool. What ticked me off (which I admit could have been due to the before-mentioned high strungness) was the whole "Yikes!" bit.

only 6 of the 32 NFL primaries have the nickname written in the logo. And a lot that do prefer to use wordless logos most of the time.

I would say the NFL is quite a different animal, since teams have so frequently used their helmets or just their helmet logo as their "primary logo." I never liked that fact.

I suppose the NHL's tradition of jersey crests is a similar thing (as well as the trend to elevelate baseball cap logos like the Yankees' to primary status.)

The NBA is a little bit unique in that, without a hat, there is no way for its teams secondary marks to achieve similar prominence.

But do you know if the NBA actually has a rule that the primary logo must include the team's nickname?

I don't, my statement was only based on what was previously posted regarding the Sixers update and the reason for the box...

What happened to the Warriors logo that was posted earlier?

Looks like someone caught their mistake.

Without a doubt, that for sure clinches it as officially legitimate

/Redundancy

Warriors are on the right track here, just kick it up a notch. Take a risk please, but not as big of a risk as they took for the current electric-man stuff

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

They tweaked it so the basketball lines line up properly.

It still looks like the lines are all mangled and don't meet up properly though. Would have to see it without the watch hands in the way

They tweaked it so the basketball lines line up properly.

It still looks like the lines are all mangled and don't meet up properly though. Would have to see it without the watch hands in the way

You're right - they still look a little off.

yhst-81998123364095_2105_651322086.jpg

But at least the Clippers got rid of the one extra line above the wordmark which didn't continue beneath it:

500px-Los_Angeles_Clippers_logo.svg.png

I swear, that one looks like it was re-constructed by aliens which had never actually seen a basketball before.

Hey guys, I've whipped up a quick concept to see how the new logo might look on the jersey (I think the Warriors are about the only NBA team able to get away with a huge logo on the jersey). It's basically the 88-97 set with a lighter blue and Copperplate (ugh) used for the wordmark & numbers. I'm not diggin' it.

WarriorsConcept.gif

While I'm in agreement that the NBA has too many teams with basketballs in their logos, the Warriors' gold circle just feels too empty.

If they do put the numbers within the circle, then they'd be okay. If not, then I really think they need the basketball lines.

Howabout a GSW monogram, or just a GS, or a W? I would normally not suggest a W, but the logo is so generic that a GS still may not be enough to separate it from a California tourism mark.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived