The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

They tweaked it so the basketball lines line up properly.

It still looks like the lines are all mangled and don't meet up properly though. Would have to see it without the watch hands in the way

You're right - they still look a little off.

yhst-81998123364095_2105_651322086.jpg

But at least the Clippers got rid of the one extra line above the wordmark which didn't continue beneath it:

500px-Los_Angeles_Clippers_logo.svg.png

I swear, that one looks like it was re-constructed by aliens which had never actually seen a basketball before.

I am in awe that this has happened again. Hey at least they're staying consistent!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually doesn't look wrong to me. The line on the bottom of the ball matches up with the middle line on top, and the line at the top left ends before the bottom due to the perspective of the ball. Seems to me people are just looking for yet another thing to make fun of the Clips for.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It actually doesn't look wrong to me. The line on the bottom of the ball matches up with the middle line on top, and the line at the top left ends before the bottom due to the perspective of the ball. Seems to me people are just looking for yet another thing to make fun of the Clips for.

I have absolutely no idea how you came up with that. I'm not even sure if you yourself know what you're talking about.

Everyone with at least a decent capability of perceiving 3d has agreed that there is one line that's way off over there.

Perhaps you can illustrate?

I have absolutely no idea how you came up with that. I'm not even sure if you yourself know what you're talking about.

Everyone with at least a decent capability of perceiving 3d has agreed that there is one line that's way off over there.

Perhaps you can illustrate?

Pretty sure Lights Out's talking about the new revision, not the original logo. I think everyone's in agreement that that one's :censored:ed up.

The new one is totally OK as far as lines are of concern. However, this is faaaar away from even an 'r', let alone a 'rebrand'. Most people, including die-hard Clipper fans (are there such?) will not even notice the 'logo change'.

I'm in total agreement FWIW. I tilted my head, and it's quite clear the lines are perfectly lined up. The line on the bottom of the bottom of the ball follows the natural curve of the middle line on top.

The perspective of the ball is not a common one...if you can't see it, go get a basketball and position it just like it's shown.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You're right - they still look a little off.

yhst-81998123364095_2105_651322086.jpg

But at least the Clippers got rid of the one extra line above the wordmark which didn't continue beneath it:

500px-Los_Angeles_Clippers_logo.svg.png

I swear, that one looks like it was re-constructed by aliens which had never actually seen a basketball before.

The LA Clippers--even their design team is a shoestring operation. :P

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Pretty sure Lights Out's talking about the new revision, not the original logo. I think everyone's in agreement that that one's :censored:ed up.

I am talking about the new revision. The "basketball" in the old logo is more reminiscent of a volleyball to me.

And bruschimania, you try being a Clippers fan for even a week and putting up with stupid, so-old-their-almost-mouldy jokes about how WNBA teams could beat the Clippers and Sterling is "cheap." I mean, at least three times in this very thread, people have called the Clips' minor tweak "cheap" and tawdry.... but if it were, say, the Lakers logo being slightly tweaked, it'd probably be called "a fantastic update to a classic logo."

xLmjWVv.png

Seems to me people are just looking for yet another thing to make fun of the Clips for.

You don't really have to look - I mean, it's all right there for you.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Believe me, he's done some horrible things while owning the Clippers, things indefensible by his own fanbase. However, from the perspective of how he runs his team, a lot of the old cliches don't ring true anymore. He no longer changes coaches like toilet paper - Dunleavy, frankly, stayed longer than he should have. He's not cheap, for reasons I already mentioned. And he stresses a commitment to winning in his interviews now.

I'm not arguing about the personal stuff - I'm only trying to say that he isn't 100% god-awful at running a franchise anymore.

xLmjWVv.png

I'm not arguing about the personal stuff - I'm only trying to say that he [Donald Sterling] isn't 100% god-awful at running a franchise anymore.

I agree, but it appears that the Clippers are only doing a minor change to their logo (which pretty much appears as a red-white-blue Lakers logo to me, anyways) when they could at least introduce an alternate logo (like a ship), or even bring back the initial San Diego Clippers logo. You would think that they would do a little something more than update the same logo that has represented, historically, their futility and their second-banana status in Los Angeles.

Since bringing in Baron Davis and drafting Blake Griffin, this would be the perfect time for the Clippers to freshen up their overall look. I'm not talking a complete overhaul, just something fresh. Something needs to be done to that logo, and merely updating it doesn't seem to reflect the apparent change in heart for Donald Sterling.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

How do we know they aren't introducing another secondary logo? These were all only primary logos on the watches. I wouldn't be surprised to see another one - it'd be cool to see them use the ship theme for the first time since the early years in San Diego.

And the Florida Panthers have had a futile existence - nobody's demanding that they should change their logo. Same thing with the Nationals. Hell, the Lions merely updated their logo after a historic 0-16 season, instead of completely going in a new direction.

xLmjWVv.png

The Nationals had a good identity and started tinkering with it since before day one (someone, reportedly Selig, pulling a power play and insisting on the red W hats instead of navy DC hats). If anything, they should go back to the beginning and piece things back together again.

You do have a point with it only being the primary. It could be like the rarely-seen New Orleans Hornets "primary."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What's different about the Bobcats and Suns, other than their alternate logos possibly becoming the primaries?

Although with Phoenix, their alternate logo, at this point, has basically become their primary. It's the logo at mid-court, it's the logo on their jerseys and it's the logo that's used by nearly every sports network as the onscreen graphic.

Archived