continental basketball league

leggman01

I recall the backstory on the "Gwizzlies" name. The team played originally in another league that, obviously, failed. I want to say that it had 'Global' in the league name. Anyways, the team played in Gwinnett, a suburb of Atlanta. In order to "better connect" with the local community, they changed the name from "Grizzlies" to "GWizzlies" ( "Gwinnett + Grizzlies = Gwizlies). With them playing in Powder Springs now...it's a little more than ridiculous to still call them "Gwizlies".

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I recall the backstory on the "Gwizzlies" name. The team played originally in another league that, obviously, failed. I want to say that it had 'Global' in the league name. Anyways, the team played in Gwinnett, a suburb of Atlanta. In order to "better connect" with the local community, they changed the name from "Grizzlies" to "GWizzlies" ( "Gwinnett + Grizzlies = Gwizlies). With them playing in Powder Springs now...it's a little more than ridiculous to still call them "Gwizlies".

1. That was an ABA 2000 team.

2. That was the bull :censored: story they cooked up to cover for the real reason why they were named the "Gwizzlies". The nickname was a typo on their expansion team application.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is an upstart league, right? I mean, c'mon... I seriously doubt they're going to invest hundreds of thousands into really professional looking logo packages until the league has proven it's even economically viable. Much like the UFL, let this thing survive for a few years, and then I'd imagine you'd start to see some teams going towards real logo sets.

On a side note, I thought it was somewhat humorous that one of the teams had a "sellout" crowd of about 300 at a high school. Even last season's Nets drew more fans.

This is an upstart league, right? I mean, c'mon... I seriously doubt they're going to invest hundreds of thousands into really professional looking logo packages until the league has proven it's even economically viable. Much like the UFL, let this thing survive for a few years, and then I'd imagine you'd start to see some teams going towards real logo sets.

I just don't understand how anyone, regardless of primary profession, could think that these were good designs. Whoever is starting this league is obviously a businessman, and as such, probably knows a bit about marketing and branding, and should have enough sense to at least know what looks professional and what doesn't. You don't have to hire Joe Bosak or Todd Radom to get a nice logo. Hell - I've never had an art class (but am a naturally good drawer) and I've come up with many logos (sports and mostly non-sports) better than these (unfortunately they need to get passed on to people with AI or PS skills to be used.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oh, I'd agree with you there 100%, but like I said... The league's #1 priority right now is surviving and possible expansion. Then let the media deals fall into place, along with proper uniforms and logos. You have to work on these things one step at a time.

Oh, I'd agree with you there 100%, but like I said... The league's #1 priority right now is surviving and possible expansion.

but marketing the teams effectively is KEY to survival and possible expansion - no right-minded business person would ever get into this venture after seeing these meek and feeble attempts at marketing - this league will die a quick death in part BECAUSE of the inability to effectively market...

jldesigns404eo.png

I don't care what the budget is or how new your league is...if you want to present yourself as a legitimate operation, you should LOOK like a legitimate operation. Lack of funding is no excuse to look like these teams (Savannah Wildcats excluded). If you can afford to jump into an endeavor like this, you can afford to come to the CCSLC requests board and throw $50 up for one of those "Hey, get your logo seen by millions thousands hundreds of twenty seven people, boost your portfolio, AND get paid!!!!!05052010" spec fests contests we see here periodically.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So the CBA is back AGAIN?

(I can still remember the Pensacola Tornadoes from the early '90s incarnation of this league...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On a side note, I thought it was somewhat humorous that one of the teams had a "sellout" crowd of about 300 at a high school. Even last season's Nets drew more fans.

You're giving this league too much credit. The 2 teams that existed prior to this season bounced around the very low nethers of minor league basketball in this country prior to founding this league. Compared to them, the UFL is the Ritz. There's no such thing as long term planning at work here, or seeing if something is economically viable.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived