Suns spur controversy with "Los Suns" jerseys tonight

Blue Falcon

Yeah, teams always botch this strange promotion. The jerseys don't normally say "The Suns", so it's just blatant pandering to part of their fan base as far as I see it....and a bad job at it. I'm never a fan when any of the sports (OK, MLB and NBA) take days to promote along racial lines to part of their fanbase. I could see wearing Spanish jerseys if they played a special game in say Mexico City or Rio... Oh well.

87Redskins.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For one of the Latin Nights, the TNT guys were dressed in ponchos and sombreros. I found that a little strange, especially when you apply that to other hypothetical ______ Nights.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When's the next Caucasian-American night? I'll be there dressed in my white party outfit! :P

Oh wait...that would be "racist". :rolleyes:

That'd be the other 80 games on the home schedule. Or all of the other playoff games.

Or any sport. Except for Padres games. And it's all sorts of fun when the Giants come to PETCO. (bow)

It would be best for teams to stay out of politics...and politicians to stay out of sports. No good can come from the combining of the two.

Living proof of that:

398px-Heath_Shuler%2C_official_110th_Congressional_photo_portrait.jpg

Incidentally, the last Redskins QB to wear #5...

It would be best for teams to stay out of politics...and politicians to stay out of sports. No good can come from the combining of the two.

I disagree, and I don't think history bears your belief out.

To generalize that no good can come of leagues, teams, athletes or entire sports taking a stand in political issues, or to say politicians have no role in shaping sports passes over powerful examples of sports exerting its influence on society and even governments to drive change and progress, and examples of political bodies taking steps to enact necessary reform on sports institutions, and shortchanges the significance of sports in our society.

The Brooklyn Dodgers signing Jackie Robinson 17 years before the Civil Rights Act took down codified segregation and discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. The rugby world furthering apartheid-era South Africa's international isolation by barring the Springboks from competition. Congress pushing the NFL to take care of its damaged veterans and finally own up to the staggering correlation between playing football and severe, frightening brain damage.

I'm not saying the Suns' gesture is on the same level with these actions, or that these events singularly led to the later changes. And I'm not saying politics and sports are ALWAYS a good, necessary, or natural mix either.

It may be unpleasant, uncomfortable, and we may not agree with every statement or action made when the two meet. But to say unequivocally that no good can come of it is simply not historically accurate, and diminishes the importance and potential of sports to do more than entertain us.

EDIT: nevermind...some people really can be that ignorant.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To generalize that no good can come of leagues, teams, athletes or entire sports taking a stand in political issues, or to say politicians have no role in shaping sports passes over powerful examples of sports exerting its influence on society and even governments to drive change and progress, and examples of political bodies taking steps to enact necessary reform on sports institutions, and shortchanges the significance of sports in our society.

The Brooklyn Dodgers signing Jackie Robinson 17 years before the Civil Rights Act took down codified segregation and discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. The rugby world furthering apartheid-era South Africa's international isolation by barring the Springboks from competition. Congress pushing the NFL to take care of its damaged veterans and finally own up to the staggering correlation between playing football and severe, frightening brain damage.

I'm not saying the Suns' gesture is on the same level with these actions, or that these events singularly led to the later changes. And I'm not saying politics and sports are ALWAYS a good, necessary, or natural mix either.

It may be unpleasant, uncomfortable, and we may not agree with every statement or action made when the two meet. But to say unequivocally that no good can come of it is simply not historically accurate, and diminishes the importance and potential of sports to do more than entertain us.

Until some European soccer player flashes a fascist salute.

What you really mean is politics in sport are good so long as you agree with them.

FsQiF2W.png

I'd be interested to see if they actually sell many of these (aside from the controversy). I'm a big FC Internazionale fan who is not Italian and I would never even consider buying a jersey, t-shirt, etc. that pandered to English speakers that said International or The Internazionale.

Honestly, it seems ridiculous. I mean who actually buys these?

So, I'm curious with these jerseys, why isn't the team name in Spanish as well?

I don't speak Spanish, but I'm pretty sure that proper names are what they are and thus not translated.

Until some European soccer player flashes a fascist salute.

What you really mean is politics in sport are good so long as you agree with them.

Oh, THAT'S what I really mean. Thanks for clearing that up. <_<

I could see wearing Spanish jerseys if they played a special game in say Mexico City or Rio... Oh well.

WOW.

Wow.

There's the POTD for me ^_^

Seconded. B)

(Should we bother to tell him they don't even speak spanish in Brazil?)

BB52Big.jpg

Living proof of that:

398px-Heath_Shuler%2C_official_110th_Congressional_photo_portrait.jpg

Incidentally, the last Redskins QB to wear #5...

HAHA...yeah, he should have stayed out of BOTH. Horrible at everything it seems. He still makes me mad...he was supposed to be a great QB out of Tennessee.

87Redskins.png

Archived