2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

Sad to see Davies not even on the 30 man squad. They had to have talked to his doctors and everyone associated with his recovery and just werent comfortable wasting a spot on him.

Further, why didn't Bradley reserve a spot for Conor Casey?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England's World Cup Bid in jeopardy?

LONDON (AP)?David Triesman resigned as chairman of The Football Association and England?s World Cup bid team on Sunday after having made bribery allegations against 2018 bid rivals Spain and Russia.

Triesman was secretly taped by The Mail on Sunday newspaper suggesting Spain was planning to bribe referees at this year?s World Cup with the help of Russia, which didn?t qualify, and then support the Russian bid.

The 66-year-old Triesman met The FA board at Wembley Stadium on Sunday and offered his resignation. David Sheepshanks and Roger Burden will serve as acting joint chairmen.

ADVERTISEMENT

?Entrapment, especially by a friend, is an unpleasant experience both for my family and me, but it leaves me with no alternative but to resign,? Triesman said in a statement. ?I have immediately informed The FA Board of my decision.?

The newspaper taped Triesman while talking two weeks ago with Melissa Jacobs, a former aide from his time as a government minister.

?A private conversation with someone whom I thought to be a friend was taped without my knowledge and passed to a national newspaper,? said Triesman, who became The FA?s first independent chairman in 2008. ?That same friend has also chosen to greatly exaggerate the extent of our friendship. In that conversation, I commentated on speculation circulating about conspiracies around the world.

?Those comments were never intended to be taken seriously, as indeed is the case with many private conversations.?

England?s bid team took immediate action Sunday morning, faxing letters of apology to the Spanish and Russian football federations as well as FIFA, saying it didn?t support the bid chairman?s allegations.

?The views expressed were not the views of the 2018 bid board or The FA,? Triesman said. ?Nobody should be under any misapprehension that The FA or 2018 bid board are disrespectful of other nations or FIFA, and I regret any such inference that may have been drawn from what has been reported.?

Russian bid chief Alexey Sorokin responded by describing the allegations as ?absurd? and urged FIFA to ?take appropriate measures.?

England had been the favorite to win the vote by FIFA?s 24-man executive committee in December and host its second World Cup and first since 1966.

Triesman joined former England captain David Beckham at FIFA headquarters in Zurich on Friday to hand over the official bid book to president Sepp Blatter.

In Europe, Spain is bidding jointly with Portugal to host either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, as are Belgium and Netherlands, while England and Russia are standing alone. Australia and United States are also bidding for either tournament, while Japan, Qatar and South Korea are concentrating on 2022 as they believe a European nation is favored to win for 2018.

Triesman claimed in the Mail?s recordings that Russia has ?absolutely nothing at all to lose? and would cut deals.

?I think the Africans we are doing very well with (winning their votes). I think we?re doing kind of well with some of the Asians. Probably doing well with Central and North America,? Triesman was quoted as saying. ?My assumption is that the Latin Americans, although they?ve not said so, will vote for Spain.

?And if Spain drop out, because Spain are looking for help from the Russians to help bribe the referees in the World Cup, their votes may then switch to Russia.?

Triesman?s resignation comes less than a month before England?s World Cup campaign opens against United States on June 12 and with The FA still searching for a new chief executive after Ian Watmore quit in March following a power struggle.

man this is an awesome ad!!! especially the kobe bit!!! not to mention roger federer's cameo appearance as well playing table tennis with Rooney....hmm looks like Nike couldnt think of a part for Tiger or Lebron - seeing as they did have all their other big name atheletes in there. this just gets me more pumped for the world cup!

That should be ad of the year if you ask me, but Ronaldinho isnt going to South Africa though :P

That was my first thought.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Also, isnt Cote d'Ivore a Puma nation? Why is Drogba in the commercial? Is he a Nike athlete?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

sorry for the double post - but i also find it a bit weird that Nike didn't try to hide the Umbro emblem on the England kits during the Rooney segment...

It actually does make sense that Nike didn't try to hide the Umbro logo because Umbro is now part of Nike.

Awesome commercial.

sorry for the double post - but i also find it a bit weird that Nike didn't try to hide the Umbro emblem on the England kits during the Rooney segment...

As has been mentioned before, Umbro is owned by Nike.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It actually does make sense that Nike didn't try to hide the Umbro logo because Umbro is now part of Nike.

Awesome commercial.

woops - that i did not know

ha, maradona never fails to amuse me - the sad thing is, is that his poor coaching is hurting the national squad - with the talent they have they should be one of the favourites to win it all in south africa, but i have a hard time believing that after their poor shows in qualifying. however, talent never fails and i wouldnt be surprised if they did go deep into the tournament (much like Germany in 2002 who just slipped into the tournament) - conversely a early bow out in group stages isn't too far fetched and would definitely spell the end for maradona as the national coach.

i just want this shabang to start already!

Archived