2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Times like this, I wish I was fluent in Spanish so I could fully enjoy the Spanish-speaking coverage of the World Cup. This type of enthusiasm is incredible.

And yeah, I suppose Spain would be the favorites, but even with them winning the Euro Cup, I still don't entirely trust them.

Everyone is singing the same tune - Spain have a great team, they have to win. The only difference this year is that they have proven it with the win in Euro 2008. That being said, i still dont trust them, but also is so damn hard to repeat - ask Brazil in 2006 and Italy in 2008, just too much pressure - you are bound to trip up under the bright lights. My favorites are the Netherlands.

Also, dont forget if you are making picks, be sure to take part in the pickem i am trying to run on this forum - pm your picks!

I think Brazil is more likely than Spain, simply because no European country has ever wond the World Cup outside of Europe, whilst Brazil has won outside of their own contnent more frequently than most other countries.

that said, I'm hoping that somehow England steals it.Preferably by beating Portugal in the Final (if that's possible with the match ups, can't be arsed to check)

I think Brazil is more likely than Spain, simply because no European country has ever wond the World Cup outside of Europe, whilst Brazil has won outside of their own contnent more frequently than most other countries.

that said, I'm hoping that somehow England steals it.Preferably by beating Portugal in the Final (if that's possible with the match ups, can't be arsed to check)

I love how everyone favourites England before the tournament starts. And though they look like a good team on paper and a heavy contender for the title, when the tournament comes around they also fail under the pressure put on them by the nation and the scrutiny which comes from the media just makes them look "scared" when they go out and play. In 2006 I thought it was England's tournament for the taking but i was proven wrong. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice shame on you. and i will not fall for the gimmicks this time round - once they run into a good team in the knock-out stages i see them going down (and in typical penalty fashion).

that being said - your prediction of England over Portugal and pretty boy Rolando in the final would truly be the story of the century in England, and living here would be something worth living through!

I have Spain and England going through to the final beating the Netherlands and Argentina.

But I consider the Dutch and the Argentinian's the same squad both will probably buckle under the pressure BUT both also have the ability to win the whole damn thing.

The one knock for me with Argentina is Diego Maradona never thought I'd say that talking about La Albiceleste.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

German National Team beats up on a bunch of kids

Tell me what the point of having your national team whip on a bunch of kids 24-0? Do you need to validate that you can score without Ballack? Really?

Are you :censored: serious German National Team?? Is this how you prepare for the World Cup?

smdh....I hope Germany crashes out of the World Cup in South Africa.

They could have done better to prepare by playing San Marino than that team.

Or the Cape Verde Islands...

That's different, that was colonial retribution. :D Just wait until Brazil vs Portugal in their last group game on June 25th in Durban, that will be a colonial clash of epic proportions .

Or USA vs England! Colonial retribution at its finest.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Tell me what the point of having your national team whip on a bunch of kids 24-0? Do you need to validate that you can score without Ballack? Really?

Are you :censored: serious German National Team?? Is this how you prepare for the World Cup?

That's different, that was colonial retribution. :D Just wait until Brazil vs Portugal in their last group game on June 25th in Durban, that will be a colonial clash of epic proportions .

Or in Group H

Spain vs Chile (in fact this year is Chile's Bicentennial 2010) or Spain vs Honduras. Both Chile and Honduras are former Spanish Colonies. ^_^

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

The problem is Spain vs Latin American country not named Cuba, Brazil, Guyana, or Suriname doesn't really bring the hate to the table. The Independence was too long ago.

Now games like Angola-Portugal in 2006. Oh...there was hate there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bastards will wish they'd never burned Washington when we're through with them!

(different war, I know.)

oBIgzrL.png

Bastards will wish they'd never burned Washington when we're through with them!

(different war, I know.)

Still colonial retribution.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

I wouldn't say it was colonial retribution so much as it was a 2nd or 3rd tier (in quality) British station commander getting hacked off about the incendiary things written about him in the local broadsheets.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have a bad feeling about Group C regarding USA vs. Algeria/Slovenia. Everyone's hyping the England match and talking about it like it's the only test the Yanks will face. I certainly wouldn't write off Algeria or Slovenia. Certainly they must be good teams if they are in the World Cup in the first place. I understand that the Three Lions are the first opponent, so they are due to get more attention, but I haven't even heard much of anything about either of the other teams that USA will face. If the sole focus is England, Algeria and Slovenia just may have a nasty surprise in store.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

So USA looked good in the second half against Turkey with a 2-1 comeback win - most importantly goals from our big guns Jozy and Dempsey, and Gomez had another wicked outing. Better yet, England just scampered to a 2-1 win over Japan, both of their goals coming on 2 own goals late in the second half - It looked like the English team was playing distracted - with Capello not having picked the final 23 man squad yet some of the "bubble" players seemed distracted by that and that seemed to hurt their performance. All is all, England beware - we are coming for you!

I have a bad feeling about Group C regarding USA vs. Algeria/Slovenia. Everyone's hyping the England match and talking about it like it's the only test the Yanks will face. I certainly wouldn't write off Algeria or Slovenia. Certainly they must be good teams if they are in the World Cup in the first place. I understand that the Three Lions are the first opponent, so they are due to get more attention, but I haven't even heard much of anything about either of the other teams that USA will face. If the sole focus is England, Algeria and Slovenia just may have a nasty surprise in store.

I understand your fear, but allow me to give out my two cents.

I do agree on the fact that Slovenia is a bit dangerous as a foe in this group. Remember, this team knocked out a pretty darn good Russia squad in the UEFA Playoffs to get to South Africa, not to mention beat the Group 3 winners in Slovakia twice. With that in mind and this being the final game in the group, it could be possible that a Knockout Round berth might be at stake in this game, so of course those fears are certain.

On the other hand, Algeria doesn't seem like to be that much of a threat. They barely even got to South Africa and if wasn't for that win over Egypt in the playoff, then you would see Egypt in this group instead and if you remember last year's Conferderations Cup performance by the Egyptians, then you would know that as a fan, you would be more scared to see the Americans face Egypt then you would be to see the Americans face Algeria.

I do agree on the fact that Slovenia is a bit dangerous as a foe in this group. Remember, this team knocked out a pretty darn good Russia squad in the UEFA Playoffs to get to South Africa, not to mention beat the Group 3 winners in Slovakia twice. With that in mind and this being the final game in the group, it could be possible that a Knockout Round berth might be at stake in this game, so of course those fears are certain.

On the other hand, Algeria doesn't seem like to be that much of a threat. They barely even got to South Africa and if wasn't for that win over Egypt in the playoff, then you would see Egypt in this group instead and if you remember last year's Conferderations Cup performance by the Egyptians, then you would know that as a fan, you would be more scared to see the Americans face Egypt then you would be to see the Americans face Algeria.

If the slovenias have as much fight as dragic and vujacic had last night then you never know.

Jokes asides, I am too fearful of these other 2 opponents. Any european squad in the world cup should not be looked past - and as you said Slovenia did look impressive at times during their qualifying campaign. Anyone know how they have been looking in warm up matches???

As for algeria, there are a couple of reasons why we shouldn't brush them asides. They are an african squad and just for that reason they pose a threat as since this tournament is in Africa you have to think that some sort of pride will be on line for them. Secondly and more importantly, they were runners up in this years Africans cup of nation and this means the team is battled tested in the setting of a major tournament.

We gotta get at least a draw against the English, and judging by their performance against japan today, we should really aim for 3 points. Then a draw and win in the next two should set us up really well.

Looking further forward who would you like for us to play in the second round (hoping we get out of the group stages first). There are some good teams in group d who could challenge us - Germany, Serbia and Ghana are all really good (and better than Algeria and Slovenia for that reason) and the soccceroos are definately not a push over either.

Man I just want this all to start!!

If the slovenias have as much fight as dragic and vujacic had last night then you never know.

Jokes asides, I am too fearful of these other 2 opponents. Any european squad in the world cup should not be looked past - and as you said Slovenia did look impressive at times during their qualifying campaign. Anyone know how they have been looking in warm up matches???

As for algeria, there are a couple of reasons why we shouldn't brush them asides. They are an african squad and just for that reason they pose a threat as since this tournament is in Africa you have to think that some sort of pride will be on line for them. Secondly and more importantly, they were runners up in this years Africans cup of nation and this means the team is battled tested in the setting of a major tournament.

We gotta get at least a draw against the English, and judging by their performance against japan today, we should really aim for 3 points. Then a draw and win in the next two should set us up really well.

Looking further forward who would you like for us to play in the second round (hoping we get out of the group stages first). There are some good teams in group d who could challenge us - Germany, Serbia and Ghana are all really good (and better than Algeria and Slovenia for that reason) and the soccceroos are definately not a push over either.

Man I just want this all to start!!

I'm not particularly worried about the skill set of Slovenia or Algeria, I'm more worried about our propensity to play down to the competition. Not worried about England, they get up for big games.

Archived