My Alma Mater, Midland Lutheran College Mascot Concept

ruffbuff

Really nice... some feedback:

Pros: I like the look of the helmet and face.

I like how you put an m and w in there ( not sure what thats called lol )

I like the colors, and the full body logo is well done.

Cons:

I think the end of the helmet could be a bit shorter, at least short enough so it doesnt touch the wordmark, just my opinion, its more of a looks thing.

The orange highlight gets too close to the wordmark for my likes, but again just opinion.

Overall, really nice job!

I'll echo chickenfish's praise and add that I really like how you incorporated the school's logo into the shield.

One con from me is the absence of a weapon in the full body seems a little odd to me.

Really nice work

Very impressive work, that's an incredible set. All three are spectacular! I don't find much of a con honestly. The lack of a weapon on the full body is a little odd, but it is still an incredible logo. GREAT job!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Not sure that it makes any kind of sense to have a roman soldier (or Greek, based on uniforms) with a cross on their shield. Anachronistic at best. A medieval knight makes sense, but Romans and Greeks would not have been rockin' the cross. Maybe you go with some sort of MLW letter mixture as a logo on the shield.

Great job, and nicely rendered. I agree with the previous posts as well. Some other things that stuck out for me was the extra point in the "R" in Warriors. I know it's part of the original wordmark, but it kind of bothers me...but thats just me. Also, the black stroke around the arms and legs seem to be slighty different. Just my thoughts...

Nice work! I always like to see small schools/college concepts.

for the past 10 years, the school had a logo that was more of a "knight"...until this year when they discontinued the use of that logo and simultaneously adopted a mascot, a lot like sparty...when I saw that, I rushed to put together a logo concept to match the 'suit'...

I will work on the weapon, the outline around the body and the helmet dipping into the wordmark. Thank you for the comments. Keep em' coming.

Leonidas-ish

Full Body

I dunno, I'm still not feeling the full bodied logo. It still doesn't look much like a logo to me but more of an illustration. Good work so far, but thickening up those outlines would definately help.

Do you think simplifying it...less detail...perhaps more of a 3/4 torso view....a little more action, would make it scream "logo" a bit more? I understand what you're saying...just trying to figure out how to remedy the issue.

maybe something akin to davidson's rebel logo....?

I like it a lot I think it has a ton of potential.

Personally I like the full body alternate version, it's not going to be the primary mark, but rather a "mascot" version and I think it's a great change of pace, the more cliched alt would have been the sword or the shield so the fact it's something a bit different is a credit to the package.

With that said, you really need to watch the line thicknesses, they vary wildly at different parts of the logo. The lines around the legs are great, they are about the weight I would expect to see and I think they work well... compare those however to the ones round his arms and you'll see the issue. The arm outlines are only half as thick, if that. You need to fix that.

I'd also look at the "hidden" MW in the helmet plume as well, with all that plume to work with why are the letters crammed up the front and the W so condensed that it's only half as wide as the M? One of the few characters it should almost mirror for width? Start those nearer the middle of the helmet and beef up the size of the other texture marks in the plume as well they're a little timid for my liking.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Personally I like the full body alternate version, it's not going to be the primary mark, but rather a "mascot" version and I think it's a great change of pace, the more cliched alt would have been the sword or the shield so the fact it's something a bit different is a credit to the package.

With that said, you really need to watch the line thicknesses, they vary wildly at different parts of the logo. The lines around the legs are great, they are about the weight I would expect to see and I think they work well... compare those however to the ones round his arms and you'll see the issue. The arm outlines are only half as thick, if that. You need to fix that.

I'd also look at the "hidden" MW in the helmet plume as well, with all that plume to work with why are the letters crammed up the front and the W so condensed that it's only half as wide as the M? One of the few characters it should almost mirror for width? Start those nearer the middle of the helmet and beef up the size of the other texture marks in the plume as well they're a little timid for my liking.

9erssteve

thank you...i will work on the line thickness for sure.

as far as the MW...my intention was for the W to be the squared off front portion of the plume...so the perspective makes it look more condensed...??

9erssteve

as far as the MW...my intention was for the W to be the squared off front portion of the plume...so the perspective makes it look more condensed...??

Ok I see what you were trying to achieve with it now, but that then opens a whole other can of worms as you're trying to add a plane to the plume that isn't visible in any other part of the design.

If that's the front face or edge of the plume to be able to see it on your square on side view of the face it'd have to be running across the helmet at something close to a 45 degree angle. Now I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure all the warrior helmets I've seen from various eras had that bad boy running true down the middle of the helmet.

It's a clever idea and it'd work well on a three quarters view of a helmet but on your current view it just looks condensed.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

9erssteve

Ok I see what you were trying to achieve with it now, but that then opens a whole other can of worms as you're trying to add a plane to the plume that isn't visible in any other part of the design.

If that's the front face or edge of the plume to be able to see it on your square on side view of the face it'd have to be running across the helmet at something close to a 45 degree angle. Now I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure all the warrior helmets I've seen from various eras had that bad boy running true down the middle of the helmet.

It's a clever idea and it'd work well on a three quarters view of a helmet but on your current view it just looks condensed.

9erssteve

I see what you're saying and these are all kinks I need to work out. This is why I love this site...true constructive criticism, whereas most of your friends and family will just give you praise. I love it...thanks!

GO MLC!

Hah- I NEARLY ALMOST went to Midland Lutheran. I actually decided to then go to Bellevue University instead.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

GO MLC!

Hah- I NEARLY ALMOST went to Midland Lutheran. I actually decided to then go to Bellevue University instead.

Nice! Bellevue has great baseball...(that's what i went to MLC for)

I see you're a Husker fan...by my name you can see I'm not. :) Where are you from originally?

GO MLC!

Nice! Bellevue has great baseball...(that's what i went to MLC for)

I see you're a Husker fan...by my name you can see I'm not. :) Where are you from originally?

I'm from Omaha originally, now residing in Eugene, Oregon. Actually, the first screenname I tried to register here failed, which was DucktownHusker. My wife went to UO, but I'm not really a Duck fan, nor Pac 10 for that matter.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived