Oklahoma City Barons

kwhey

What a freaking waste of time to file Barons with the USPTO or or make up Bison tees as a misdirection attempt.

If they were ever seriously considering using the name Barons, if they bothered to have the marks created, it makes perfect sense to register them. Why wouldn't they protect themselves?

It's a function of the timetable. If they'd developed and registered the Barons marks say, three months ago, then sure. They filed them May 3rd. Now we're seeing Prodigal filing Bisons (May 13), Twisters (May 12), and Roughnecks (May 11). The organization has had over a year to develop their image, why flood all these new potential marks onto fans right before the release? It's a waste of time and effort, especially since the fans want an identity, ANY IDENTITY, to support. Prodigal has just flat out bollocksed this up with over-gamesmanship.

OKCBisons.jpgOKCRoughnecks.jpgOKCRoughnecks2.jpgOKCTwisters.jpgOKCTwisters2.jpg

edit: added Twisters into the mix...

Dear Oklahoma City: We want our name back. Keep your lousy logo.

Signed, Cleveland.

Go Cleveland! You said it best.

OKC was almost the Barons in 1972 courtesy of Nick Mileti, he moved the team to Jacksonville instead.

A little OKC inside baseball here, but given the last ten days (not to mention what will likely happen today), I like the idea of naming the team the Oklahoma City Talktomevals... :hockeysmiley:

Signed, Cleveland.

Really? Cause when I think of 'Barons', I think of Birmingham.

And why are Cleveland fans so damn cranky these days?

6uXNWAo.png

Signed, Cleveland.

Really? Cause when I think of 'Barons', I think of Birmingham.

And why are Cleveland fans so damn cranky these days?

Bad football team, bad baseball team, good basketball with good player about to leave giving them a bad basketball team, yeah, I'd

be cranky too!

It's official...

OKBJA02_350.jpgOKBJA01_350.jpg

Here's what I think happened.

The Barons name and logo was approved sometime in the last three months.

April 15: OklahomaCityBarons.com is registered

May 3: As the release date approached Prodigal dutifully filed everything with the USPTO

May 7: An efficient government office gets all loaded into TESS, and it's all over the internet.

"Oh crap, our secret is out!" says Prodigal. "Mock up some alternatives so the presser isn't anticlimactic!"

May 11-13: New names/logos are developed and filed. Domain names are also filed for said name (that there's no additional information with these domain filings suggests they were done recently).

A few days later, the new logos start to appear in TESS and a fanbase that just wants an identity to support gets increasingly frustrated by the growing options.

May 19: OKC Barons release name and logo at 4PM... local residents dive into storm bunkers shortly thereafter...

God dammit. Clone uniforms? Really? Even the Oilers know they're dressing like sacks of :censored: on the ice when they wear that half-assed implementation of all that's wrong with the Edge template, and someone in OKC decides to make a Xerox of that garbage? Gaaah, screw them. Where's the Tylenol?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I realize they're not in the same league, but even if you're Edmonton, isn't it a bit odd to go with an oil-heavy identity with the Tulsa Oilers not very far away from OKC? You would think they'd want to stand out a bit more and not feed the inevitable confusion.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Barons? Not so fast, my friend...

http://puckchk.tumblr.com/post/602416793/so-after-much-speculation-for-months-last-week-it

bisons.jpg

So,after much speculation for months,last week it was leaked that the new AHL hockey team to start play in OKC for the 2010-2011 was going to be named The Barons. Now,these t-shirts were spotted at the Bricktown Ballpark during the RedHawks game. The shirts read “OKC Bisons-Hockey is back” and were worn by the ballpark attendants…hmmmmmm

Can’t wait til Wednesday the 19th for the official announcement that’s for sure.Yours truly will actually be able to attend!!

What a freaking waste of time to file Barons with the USPTO or or make up Bison tees as a misdirection attempt. This isn't a major league team where you need to file a dozen names to keep the squatters at bay and the media interested. And ho boy, these are crummy logos. The Barons is at least Oilers related and more professionally done even if kinda lame - the Bisons is too close to the Thunder mascot, so I wonder if they were concept tees.

Also... the plural of bison is... bison. So... Bisons??? Might as well double down on the foolishness and crunk it up with Bisonz... :wacko:

Dear OKC,

Nice concept shirts. However, we will not be needing either of those logos for our Triple-A baseball team.

Signed,

Buffalo, NY.

2s7i3gp.png

• 2 weeks later...

Barons? Not so fast, my friend...

http://puckchk.tumblr.com/post/602416793/so-after-much-speculation-for-months-last-week-it

bisons.jpg

So,after much speculation for months,last week it was leaked that the new AHL hockey team to start play in OKC for the 2010-2011 was going to be named The Barons. Now,these t-shirts were spotted at the Bricktown Ballpark during the RedHawks game. The shirts read ?OKC Bisons-Hockey is back? and were worn by the ballpark attendants?hmmmmmm

Can?t wait til Wednesday the 19th for the official announcement that?s for sure.Yours truly will actually be able to attend!!

What a freaking waste of time to file Barons with the USPTO or or make up Bison tees as a misdirection attempt. This isn't a major league team where you need to file a dozen names to keep the squatters at bay and the media interested. And ho boy, these are crummy logos. The Barons is at least Oilers related and more professionally done even if kinda lame - the Bisons is too close to the Thunder mascot, so I wonder if they were concept tees.

Also... the plural of bison is... bison. So... Bisons??? Might as well double down on the foolishness and crunk it up with Bisonz... :wacko:

Dear OKC,

Nice concept shirts. However, we will not be needing either of those logos for our Triple-A baseball team.

Signed,

Buffalo, NY.

Why? They would be a huge upgrade!!

Love the Barons identity...maybe it is because I always loved the Houston Oilers look.

If they had gone with Bisons, it would have been one of the most stupid branding gaffes ever.

Now all I want to know is what does the thread subtitle mean?

Oklahoma City Barons Edmonton's new AHL team

What does Edmonton have to do with OKC?

87Redskins.png

Archived