Purple/Teal for Purple/Teal sakes

BadSeed84

I think we will look back at all the horrible random piping and panels on overly generic uniforms as this era's cartoon and teal jerseys. The Jacksonville Jaguars, Atlanta Hawks, and Minnesota Vikings are all examples of this.

That being said, I loved the Hornets uniforms. An overly simple design (at least it lacked cartoons and resisted the temptation of some sort of beehive pattern) that was made unique with colors and strange pinstripes. Imagine if that wasn't their aesthetic foundation - I almost guarantee we'd have a team with sublimated beehive pattern all over their uniforms. In fact, now I'm curious how that would look...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, you forgot the Caps jumping on the teal bandwagon. The teal and the eagle logo were awesome; I wish they had kept those as the primary logo up until their current look, instead of the capitol building logo in between.

I certainly wouldn't call that shade of Blue, Teal. In fact, the Wizards, Mystics and Timberwolves all use that same shade of Blue, and call it "Slate Blue":

WashingtonCapitals_FRC_2007_SOL_SRGB.png

Can we stop the whole "it's ugly because it's trendy" attitude? Frankly, in my humble opinion, if it looks nice, who cares if a uniform or a color scheme is "trendy" or not? The original Devil Rays color scheme is among my favorite schemes in sports history, despite its "trendiness".

I agree, actually. For some teams trendy 90s colours worked. For the most part these were expansion teams who could make teal and/or purple their own. The Sharks, for example. Yeah, teal was "in" at the time, but they made it their own.

The problem, I feel, comes when teams use the colours "just because." Like the Pistons. They had a strong history in red, white, and blue, and they threw it away to go with one of the trendy colours at the time.

So while trendy doesn't always equal ugly, it doesn't always equal good, either. Likewise traditional colour choices don't always equal boring.

Pretty much what I meant to say. They don't necessarily look bad, and some teams (Hornets, Sharks, etc) made their own traditions with teal and/or purple. It's just the teams that abandoned tradition to do it that people tend to have problems with.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Every team wears purple or teal for the sake of wearing purple and teal. They all chose to wear those colors for one reason or another. Phoenix Suns jerseys aren't naturally occurring.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anyone else old enough to remember the days in the late 80s/early 90s where it seemed like 1 out of every 5 cars on the road was teal, many with purple pinstripes. Glad that's over. Sports teams unfortunately followed that trend.

"Hey look, another one of those new Geo Storms, followed by a teal Beretta! Wooooooo, a teal Neon, too!"

1990-geo-storm-base-lynnwood-washington.jpg

87Redskins.png

The Pistons and Islanders are certainly the biggest offenders here, dropping classic, championship looks to add a trendy color. Not surprisingly, they both reverted.

No doubt that there absolutely nothing in the city of Detroit, and the team's identity (auto industry, horsepower, etc.) that justify the use of those colours, despite the fact that I loved that logo and the overall identity ( I hate the "Classic" Pistons' identity, I find it boring...).

But for the Isles, the Teal/Aqua made a lot of sense as part of a nauticle identity. I still maintain that it was one of the best upgrades I have ever seen in all of Pro Sports!!!

Thank you!

Could not agree more, you really have to see the Islanders Fisherman jerseys in person to appreciate how awesome they are (I own an Authentic Blue Road). Adding teal to the rather overused palette of orange, white and blue gave the Islanders a look you couldn't mistake for anybody else. Love the way the teal on the logos was done with a shiny type of thread. When the light hits it right, you can see the kind of hues you would if you were looking into a body of water. What better scheme could you have for a team referred to as "Islanders?" Besides just look at this crest! You know its awesome, dont deny it!

untitled.jpg%7Boption%7D

As someone who very recently lost his job with the Florida Marlins, basically over the colors, I stand firm behind my love of teal and black. Owner Jeffrey Loria claims that teal is "a color for the 90s", well the Marlins are a team of the 90s, my childhood team. I saw my first baseball game in 1993 at Joe Robbie Stadium. I and thousands of other kids from South Florida grew up with those colors. Mr. Loria, since 2003, has disrespected, and continues to disrespect, this team, it's history, and it's fans by trashing one of the best identities in baseball. Just because we don't have decades of history doesn't mean he can come in and do whatever he wants. John Henry didn't go in and f*** with the Red Sox colors did he?

It started with the nearly grayscale uniforms introduced in 2003. Then since 2004, orange has become the primary color on all of the team's marketing and giveaways, despite not being anywhere on the team's uniforms. The only reason MLB lets them get away with it is because, despite not using it at all thanks to the word "Florida", the team's primary logo has been left on the style guide. Yeah he owns the team, but one man's opinion should not be enough to change the identity of a team. He's not up at 1:00 am on a weeknight watching road games on the West Coast, he's not even at many of the home games, and leaves before the end most of the time. He makes the money but this team belongs to South Florida. If he didn't like teal why didn't he go buy some other team and ruin it's look?

I couldn't stand to sit idly by and watch my childhood team be ruined any longer, slipped up and said too much on a Marlins fan forum, and the team got wind of it and cut me loose. I can safely say that the only Miami Marlins gear I'll ever own is my 1957 International League Marlins throwback Satchel Paige jersey, which in a unbelievable touch of irony, I was informed had shipped from Ebbets Field Flannels via phone call on my way home from the team offices for the final time. It showed up on my doorstep yesterday.

I don't know what the new Marlins look is going to be, but I know what it isn't going to be, and that's teal and black. Changing the name to Miami and coming up with new logos, both understandable. But to cut ties entirely with the first 19 years of the clubs history, losing a unique color scheme in a league littered with reds and blues, is unacceptable. I'd assumed teal and black was going away, and was mad about it, but it wasn't until I saw the way things were run on the inside that I truly became disgusted. I was able to keep my mouth shut for a little over a year, but I just couldn't do it anymore. Barring a serious fan uprising, expect one of the worst identities in the history of baseball.

What more could you expect from the man who commissioned the following monstrosity for the center field home run celebration at the new ballpark?

Marlins-Grooms-1.jpg

Sorry for the rant there but hopefully you can understand my frustration. At least it's a bit on topic.

Whoa, boom!

Sucks about your job. At least you can take solace in the fact that the Marlins get rid of everyone they employ.

I feel really bad for the Florida Marlins fans. Here's a team that has won two World Series championships in the past 15 years, and yet the management has kept the fans away by basically turning the Marlins into a giant AAA farm system for the rest of baseball.

At least you guys have the Rays.

Whoa, boom!

Sucks about your job. At least you can take solace in the fact that the Marlins get rid of everyone they employ.

Yeah it does suck, but it's for the best though I think. As much as I enjoyed working there, it's a tough thing to have to go in every day and have a hand in killing a part of your childhood one flyer or ad at a time.

I was one of the very first people to work for the organization who actually grew up a Marlins fan. My friggin luck, I score a dream job working as a graphic designer for my hometown baseball team, and we have to have an owner hell bent on wrecking the team's visual identity. Sigh.

It seems if you don't bow down to the owner, they get rid of you... just ask Joe Girardi lol.

I feel really bad for the Florida Marlins fans. Here's a team that has won two World Series championships in the past 15 years, and yet the management has kept the fans away by basically turning the Marlins into a giant AAA farm system for the rest of baseball.

At least you guys have the Rays.

While the jettisoning of big contracts for prospects has hurt the fan base over the years, the crappy stadium(for baseball) has hurt the most. The team gets good TV ratings. Nobody wants to sit in the heat and rain for 3 hours. We finally got the new ballpark, but now the team is in all likelihood going to look like Anyteam USA, or something different but horrible.

It's tough losing fan favorite players as soon as they become too expensive, but at least the team looked good...

The sad thing is now they are selling more of the all teal or teal and black early 90s hats then ever. The first generation of true Marlins fans like myself have grown up, and a real fan identity is starting to develop around the colors, but now their going to throw it away and start from scratch. It's a shame.

So what's it going to be? Nice shade of royal blue, right? Does Jeff Loria have daddy issues about the Brooklyn Dodgers too? Reinsdorf originally had royal blue seats at New Comiskey because he grew up a Dodgers fan. Enough's been said about the Wilpons regarding Dodgerphilia.

So what's it going to be? Nice shade of royal blue, right? Does Jeff Loria have daddy issues about the Brooklyn Dodgers too? Reinsdorf originally had royal blue seats at New Comiskey because he grew up a Dodgers fan. Enough's been said about the Wilpons regarding Dodgerphilia.

The seats in the latest ballpark renderings are based off Pantone 294, a.k.a. Los Angeles Dodgers blue, so yeah. But it's not like 20 of the 30 MLB teams, including every other NL East club, don't already use blue in some manner.... oh wait.

I imagine that one of the tentative new colors has got to be blue, because having blue seats without it being a team color is no different from having all the orange seats they currently have at Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Land Shark/Sun Life Stadium. All it does is make bad crowds look worse(not unlike the green seats at most retro ballparks).

As someone who very recently lost his job with the Florida Marlins, basically over the colors, I stand firm behind my love of teal and black. Owner Jeffrey Loria claims that teal is "a color for the 90s", well the Marlins are a team of the 90s, my childhood team. I saw my first baseball game in 1993 at Joe Robbie Stadium. I and thousands of other kids from South Florida grew up with those colors. Mr. Loria, since 2003, has disrespected, and continues to disrespect, this team, it's history, and it's fans by trashing one of the best identities in baseball. Just because we don't have decades of history doesn't mean he can come in and do whatever he wants. John Henry didn't go in and f*** with the Red Sox colors did he?

It started with the nearly grayscale uniforms introduced in 2003. Then since 2004, orange has become the primary color on all of the team's marketing and giveaways, despite not being anywhere on the team's uniforms. The only reason MLB lets them get away with it is because, despite not using it at all thanks to the word "Florida", the team's primary logo has been left on the style guide. Yeah he owns the team, but one man's opinion should not be enough to change the identity of a team. He's not up at 1:00 am on a weeknight watching road games on the West Coast, he's not even at many of the home games, and leaves before the end most of the time. He makes the money but this team belongs to South Florida. If he didn't like teal why didn't he go buy some other team and ruin it's look?

I couldn't stand to sit idly by and watch my childhood team be ruined any longer, slipped up and said too much on a Marlins fan forum, and the team got wind of it and cut me loose. I can safely say that the only Miami Marlins gear I'll ever own is my 1957 International League Marlins throwback Satchel Paige jersey, which in a unbelievable touch of irony, I was informed had shipped from Ebbets Field Flannels via phone call on my way home from the team offices for the final time. It showed up on my doorstep yesterday.

I don't know what the new Marlins look is going to be, but I know what it isn't going to be, and that's teal and black. Changing the name to Miami and coming up with new logos, both understandable. But to cut ties entirely with the first 19 years of the clubs history, losing a unique color scheme in a league littered with reds and blues, is unacceptable. I'd assumed teal and black was going away, and was mad about it, but it wasn't until I saw the way things were run on the inside that I truly became disgusted. I was able to keep my mouth shut for a little over a year, but I just couldn't do it anymore. Barring a serious fan uprising, expect one of the worst identities in the history of baseball.

What more could you expect from the man who commissioned the following monstrosity for the center field home run celebration at the new ballpark?

Marlins-Grooms-1.jpg

Sorry for the rant there but hopefully you can understand my frustration. At least it's a bit on topic.

I know it won't help you pay your bills, but you have my sincerest respect for doing what you knew was right as an artist and a fan. It just makes me appreciate much more that my local teams have more/less corrected any idiotic changes they made to their identities in the name of trendiness.

The Pistons and Islanders are certainly the biggest offenders here, dropping classic, championship looks to add a trendy color. Not surprisingly, they both reverted.

No doubt that there absolutely nothing in the city of Detroit, and the team's identity (auto industry, horsepower, etc.) that justify the use of those colours, despite the fact that I loved that logo and the overall identity ( I hate the "Classic" Pistons' identity, I find it boring...).

But for the Isles, the Teal/Aqua made a lot of sense as part of a nauticle identity. I still maintain that it was one of the best upgrades I have ever seen in all of Pro Sports!!!

Thank you!

Could not agree more, you really have to see the Islanders Fisherman jerseys in person to appreciate how awesome they are (I own an Authentic Blue Road). Adding teal to the rather overused palette of orange, white and blue gave the Islanders a look you couldn't mistake for anybody else. Love the way the teal on the logos was done with a shiny type of thread. When the light hits it right, you can see the kind of hues you would if you were looking into a body of water. What better scheme could you have for a team referred to as "Islanders?" Besides just look at this crest! You know its awesome, dont deny it!

untitled.jpg

The Fishermen logo would have stood a much better chance at survival had it been used with a more traditional stripping pattern. The 90s waves look was just to much on top of the new logo.

It's probably a good thing nobody decided Teal, Purple and Gold would be a good color set..... :shocked:

The New Orleans Hornets would beg to disagree...

Remember - they AREN'T Teal, Purple and Gold any longer...they changed to a funky shade of Blue a couple of seasons ago...

Current:

NewOrleansHornets_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

vs.:

NewOrleansHornets_FRC_2008_SOL_SRGB.png

Marlins-Grooms-1.jpg

I know it won't help you pay your bills, but you have my sincerest respect for doing what you knew was right as an artist and a fan. It just makes me appreciate much more that my local teams have more/less corrected any idiotic changes they made to their identities in the name of trendiness.

Thank you sir. I may be out of a job but I did manage to get that 2-ton orange gorilla off my back. My only regret will be if the Marlins manage to win the World Series before 2012, because it would have been super cool to have World Series ring. Alas it just wasn't worth it.

Sometime this summer I'll be back at the stadium, rocking my teal cap and my black and teal shoes. I can be an unapologetic fan again which is nice.

The little league teams dress in teal Marlins jerseys (really a t-shirt with two buttons at the neck) with black cap. Even done cheaply, it's a hell of a nice look.

Chris Coghlan, John Baker, Fredi Gonzalez, Larry Beinfest and the cheerleaders went to Kuwait/Iraq this past offseason to visit the troops, and the Kuwait Little League is run by some folks from South Florida, and there are like 3 Marlins teams, all with teal jerseys. So awesome. It seems everyone but the team's owner understands what the team colors are.

Archived