Purple/Teal for Purple/Teal sakes

BadSeed84

The Marlins going to blue...that seriously is a sign of a troubled franchise. I fully agree that the teal identity of the marlins is their distinct look, and if they go to this dodger blue idea it's a damned disgrace to the franchise.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Marlins going to blue...that seriously is a sign of a troubled franchise. I fully agree that the teal identity of the marlins is their distinct look, and if they go to this dodger blue idea it's a damned disgrace to the franchise.

No, just a troubled owner.

The blue is not a certainty but it's likely based on the current planned seat colors. Blue or not, anything but teal and black is, as you put it, a disgrace to the franchise, and a slap in the face to the fans and members of the organization who were here before Loria came in.

Hanley understands what the team colors are:

6a00d83451b26169e201157.jpg

His glove and shoes have got to irk Loria and I just love it lol.

I never minded the presence of purple in and of itself for the Bucks. However, like the Marlins' de-emphasis of teal, the Bucks' pushing purple over green smacked of basic :censored:ting on team history. I'm pretty sure nobody would've minded as much if the roads had been green and later alts had been purple...would the colors still be green/purp if that'd been the case? I don't know.

Far as the Spurs' fiesta colors...honestly, there are ways they could've been implemented into the regular uniforms that would've pleased the eye without being overwhelming.

And as far as the Hornets, as the Werx showed, it aint the purple that got more bluish, it's the teal creole blue (which resembles the Carolina Panthers' blue...I'm surprised more people haven't caught onto that)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

And as far as the Hornets, as the Werx showed, it aint the purple that got more bluish, it's the teal creole blue (which resembles the Carolina Panthers' blue...I'm surprised more people haven't caught onto that)

What's a bit ironic, is that this Creole Blue - intentionally, or unintentionally - matches exactly to the Blue used by Tulane U.:

NewOrleansHornetsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

While I do wish the Marlins would embrace teal and make it their own as far as MLB goes, I can't say I'm particularly mad at the owner. Fact is, it's his team. If I ponied up the cash to buy a MLB team you can be sure they would wear what I would want them to wear.

We can discuss the pros and cons of his choices, but really, I can't get behind calling him "troubled." It's his team, ultimately he can dress them any way he wants.

If you're not mad at Loria for squandering teal, are you at least mad at him for sabotaging French-Canadian baseball?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I may not remember this jersey:

scott_pose.jpg

But that doesn't make it any less gorgeous. :wub:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

What's a bit ironic, is that this Creole Blue - intentionally, or unintentionally - matches exactly to the Blue used by Tulane U.:

NewOrleansHornetsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

From what I heard it was completely intentional.

Of course Olive Green and Sky Blue still win over the Hornets colors.

While I do wish the Marlins would embrace teal and make it their own as far as MLB goes, I can't say I'm particularly mad at the owner. Fact is, it's his team. If I ponied up the cash to buy a MLB team you can be sure they would wear what I would want them to wear.

We can discuss the pros and cons of his choices, but really, I can't get behind calling him "troubled." It's his team, ultimately he can dress them any way he wants.

True, it's his team, but if he bought the Yankees he couldn't get away with taking the pinstripes off the uniforms and changing the caps to brown could he? He probably wouldn't because he grew up in New York as a Yankee fan. But he has no real interest in the Marlins other than $$$. If I ponied up the cash to buy a MLB team, I'd only want to buy the one I grew up cheering for. And if I did end up with a team I had no real emotional connection to, I certainly wouldn't alienate the fans of that team by dictating my personal likes and dislikes onto the team's identity.

He has the right to do whatever he wants with "his" team, but it's incredibly disrespectful to the fans of the Marlins, who are making him money, and the community who has embraced those colors over the last two decades. It'd be one thing if they sent out surveys to season ticket holders and asked what the fans thought, but he's just going ahead and doing whatever he damn well pleases.

Why did my team have to get an owner who is an "art" dealer? Why couldn't we get a cold blooded businessman like everywhere else, one who let's the baseball people handle baseball and people who have some taste, and some respect for history, handle the uniforms?

I may not remember this jersey:

scott_pose.jpg

But that doesn't make it any less gorgeous. :wub:

Ah the old BP jerseys. So awesome.

I'll admit the original super teal, or as Jeff Conine puts it, "Great Gazoo", look, was a little much. But the 1997 through 2002(pre Loria) uniforms, with the white/black sleeve home set they won the 1997 Series in, were perfection.

True, it's his team, but if he bought the Yankees he couldn't get away with taking the pinstripes off the uniforms and changing the caps to brown could he? He probably wouldn't because he grew up in New York as a Yankee fan.

No, that's not the reason he wouldn't change the Yankees' look. He wouldn't change the Yankees' look because it's one of the most iconic looks in all of sports. Now I understand the Marlins have two decades in black and teal under their belt, and I for one would like to have seen them keep the 1997 WS set, but lets not build things up larger then they are. The Marlins are not the Yankees, and the teal and black isn't the Yankees pinstripes.

But he has no real interest in the Marlins other than $$$.

Why is this a bad thing? He's a businessman. Profit should always be at the forefront of all of his business decisions.

If I ponied up the cash to buy a MLB team, I'd only want to buy the one I grew up cheering for.

That's a naive position to take, I think. If you're a fan of a specific MLB team chances are you're also a fan of the game in general. If you reach a point where you can purchase a MLB team, the team you grew up cheering for may not be available.

And if I did end up with a team I had no real emotional connection to, I certainly wouldn't alienate the fans of that team by dictating my personal likes and dislikes onto the team's identity.

He has the right to do whatever he wants with "his" team, but it's incredibly disrespectful to the fans of the Marlins, who are making him money, and the community who has embraced those colors over the last two decades.

This is a valid point, and the team does have two WS titles in teal and black. I am always in favour of a team maintaining a championship-era look if they can help it. So I do recognize the Marlins have a history in teal, and I would want to see them embrace that. Still, it's Mr. Loria's team, he payed for it. He can dress them however he sees fit. If dumping teal results in enough of a fan backlash, then as a businessman it would be wise of him to bring it back.

It'd be one thing if they sent out surveys to season ticket holders and asked what the fans thought, but he's just going ahead and doing whatever he damn well pleases.

Again, the team is essentially his property. He can do what he wants, and the fact is he's not messing with anything "untouchable" like the Yankees' pinstripes or the Cardinals' birds on a bat script. Again, if dumping the teal results in a fan backlash strong enough he would be wise to change it, and personally I wish he would keep the teal. I can't fault a man for doing what he wants with his team though.

Why did my team have to get an owner who is an "art" dealer? Why couldn't we get a cold blooded businessman like everywhere else, one who let's the baseball people handle baseball and people who have some taste, and some respect for history, handle the uniforms?

Could be worse. My favourite hockey team is run by a multi-headed corporate giant that couldn't put together a winning team even if they managed to get everyone on the same page.

It's probably a good thing nobody decided Teal, Purple and Gold would be a good color set..... :shocked:

The New Orleans Hornets would beg to disagree...

Remember - they AREN'T Teal, Purple and Gold any longer...they changed to a funky shade of Blue a couple of seasons ago...

Current:

NewOrleansHornets_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

vs.:

NewOrleansHornets_FRC_2008_SOL_SRGB.png

With all due reverence, isn't teal kind of just "a funky shade of blue"? I know they changed away from teal, but the change isn't that noticeable in context, even for sticklers like we have here (me included).

By my eye test, the Hornets' teal went a step in the blue direction without going there completely, but the result of the identity -- while technically not teal and purple -- is not exactly powder blue and navy, either. I think they might still be thought of as a teal and purple team in the general public. Is that "creole blue" at least a bit of a blue-green?

I say all this with the knowledge that I'm about to get schooled.

(And for the record, I keep getting quoted giving the Islanders some odd praise, but it's not my quote. While that picture of the crest is very nice, I was always partial to the lighthouse logo that came with that set.)

With all due reverence, isn't teal kind of just "a funky shade of blue"? I know they changed away from teal, but the change isn't that noticeable in context, even for sticklers like we have here (me included).

By my eye test, the Hornets' teal went a step in the blue direction without going there completely, but the result of the identity -- while technically not teal and purple -- is not exactly powder blue and navy, either. I think they might still be thought of as a teal and purple team in the general public. Is that "creole blue" at least a bit of a blue-green?

I say all this with the knowledge that I'm about to get schooled.

Nah. But, I do understand how to most people's eyes, the two colors really don't look all that much difference. Seeing them together show the differences much better.

Here is a comparison of the two colors - with color details. First, the solid/spot colors:

PMS_640_C_SRGB_Summary.png

PMS_3145_C_SRGB_SS.png

And next, the textile/fabric colors used:

PTX_18-4537_TCX_SRGB_Summary.png

PTX_17-4735_TCX_SRGB_Summary.png

True, it's his team, but if he bought the Yankees he couldn't get away with taking the pinstripes off the uniforms and changing the caps to brown could he? He probably wouldn't because he grew up in New York as a Yankee fan.

No, that's not the reason he wouldn't change the Yankees' look. He wouldn't change the Yankees' look because it's one of the most iconic looks in all of sports. Now I understand the Marlins have two decades in black and teal under their belt, and I for one would like to have seen them keep the 1997 WS set, but lets not build things up larger then they are. The Marlins are not the Yankees, and the teal and black isn't the Yankees pinstripes.

You make fair points, and I can't really say your wrong on any of them. It is Mr. Loria's team and he can do what he wishes. However just because someone is legally entitled to do something doesn't mean that they are right in doing it.

No, the Marlins are not the Yankees(but we did win the last World Series ever played at the old Yankee Stadium :D ). And teal and black is not the Yankee's pinstripes. But to true Marlins fans, the kids born in the mid to late 80s like me who grew up along with the Marlins, it's the same to us. On a national and global scale, the majority don't care, and why would they? But to Marlins fans like myself, the teal and black colors are our equivalent of the Yankee pinstripes, or any other "untouchable" team identity.

I hope, barring by some miraculous change of heart by Loria embracing teal and black, that the new team identity is so laughable that it has to be changed as soon as possible. Or that he sells the team for a nice profit after the ballpark opens and takes his hatred of teal elsewhere.

Archived