MLB "What I Would Do" Series 2010

Bmac

Last year I had my MLB "What I Would Do" series, where I went through and made some changes for each team. It was my first-ever league-wide project, and I got pretty far with it. There were a few people that did not like my series because it was not a complete redesign of each team. I will say it right away, this year it is, once again, not a complete redesign for each team. It is making whatever changes I feel are needed to improve the team's overall look.

Tampa Bay Rays

I will start with the Rays. I tried to make the Rays' set less bland than it currently is. Personally, I loved the Devil Rays era colors, but I think they can make these current colors work. For the logos, I brought back the ray, as in the one in the water. The ray the team currently uses has been replaced by a version similar to the team's original logo. For the uniforms, I added some piping to give them more color, and added a new home hat. The navy alternate has a different colored wordmark than currently, leaving the navy-on-navy look for the BP jersey.

RaysLogoSheet.png

RaysHome1.pngRaysRoad1.png

RaysAlt3.pngRaysAlt4.png

RaysBP.png

The hats and pants are inter-changable for the alternates.

*The second hat-looking thing above the pants is supposed to be a helmet (like the base coaches or catchers wear). It may be different from the hat for different teams.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with B-B 08 ditch the light blue or make more of a lighter powder like in the old days. besides that I love this, would you be willing to shoot me the templates for these if you have them in svg format?

I have to agree with B-B 08 ditch the light blue or make more of a lighter powder like in the old days. besides that I love this, would you be willing to shoot me the templates for these if you have them in svg format?

It would'nt be too tough to trace it. If not, I could do a quick job for ya.

That would be great! Are you doing the BP too?

It would'nt be too tough to trace it. If not, I could do a quick job for ya.

That would be great! Are you doing the BP too?

Might as well, shouldn't be too hard. Gimme 15 minutes.

I know you are using paint--creating fonts in paint is a nearly impossible task.

but I was thinking something a long the lines of a new TampaBay script that goes with the Rays script.

Actually, I only use paint for the coloring of the jerseys themselves. The logos, wordmarks, and final products are all done in different programs.

What do you mean a new script that goes with the Rays script? They are the same font.

This doesn't address the sunshine/fish ambiguity that bothers everybody, and single color names still look chintzy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I will go ahead and give you another team to look at. The Baltimore Orioles are up. The O's current set looks great IMO, but there are just a few flaws. I adjusted the colors so that the orange is darker, like it should be according the Colorwerx's records. I made the striping on all of the jerseys consistant and touched up the wordmarks a bit. I also got rid of the current shoulder patch logo, which was the Maryland state flag design in a circle. I modified the old swinging oriole logo and used it on the sleeves. The road hat is all black, and I added an orange alternate jersey, becuase they have worn their current orange BP jerseys a few times at home this year. The new BP jersey features the O's logos. All of the uniforms feature the multi-colored helmet.

In the logo set, I cleaned up the oriole itself a little and added more silver. I also added a silver dropshadow to the wordmark, eliminating the black dropshadow currently used on their primary logo. The shoulder patch logo has also been modified, with the swinging oriole emphasized more.

OriolesLogoSheet.png

OriolesHome1.pngOriolesRoad1.png

OriolesAlt3.pngOriolesAlt4.png

OriolesBP.png

I have to say that I find the TB Rays entire design (in general, not yours per se) to be completely uninspired.

The TB hat is just boring. There is no design to it. Compare it to the NY of either NY team, or the TC of the Twins. It is a generic font and the letters don't even cross over each other. It is just plain boring.

I will go ahead and give you another team to look at. The Baltimore Orioles are up. The O's current set looks great IMO, but there are just a few flaws. I adjusted the colors so that the orange is darker, like it should be according the Colorwerx's records. I made the striping on all of the jerseys consistant and touched up the wordmarks a bit. I also got rid of the current shoulder patch logo, which was the Maryland state flag design in a circle. I modified the old swinging oriole logo and used it on the sleeves. The road hat is all black, and I added an orange alternate jersey, becuase they have worn their current orange BP jerseys a few times at home this year. The new BP jersey features the O's logos. All of the uniforms feature the multi-colored helmet.

In the logo set, I cleaned up the oriole itself a little and added more silver. I also added a silver dropshadow to the wordmark, eliminating the black dropshadow currently used on their primary logo. The shoulder patch logo has also been modified, with the swinging oriole emphasized more.

OriolesLogoSheet.png

OriolesHome1.pngOriolesRoad1.png

OriolesAlt3.pngOriolesAlt4.png

OriolesBP.png

I love this Os set, except for the alternate "Os" cap. I hate it now, so it's not a knock on your design.

My favorite part is the return of the panelled cap. I loved the 1980s cap. I'd even like it if they just brought it back without a logo update, but it looks surprisingly good with the newer logo on it.

Great work.

Also, with the Rays set, I like how you stick to the sting ray animal meaning rather than the "rays of light" idea they seem to be moving towards recently.

87Redskins.png

Those Rays concepts are a thing of beauty. I think the oriole's orange "batting practice" esque unis would be cool if they integrated more stripes and went with more of a throwback idea instead of just having a blocky side panel.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived