Jump to content

2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes


TFoA

Recommended Posts

Well, according to ESPN, the offseason is officially here because the Cavaliers have been eliminated from the playoffs, which means that LeBron James is now, unofficially, a free agent. Now the question is this: Will LeBron stay in Cleveland, or will he allow nearly a quarter of the NBA to court, woo, and recruit him for his basketball services in the future? Only time will tell.

Oh yeah, all you other fans of lesser players & teams can discuss what you peons have going on as well. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gut tells me he stays in Cleveland, but anything is possible. I just don't see either of the NYC area team being an option since they wont make the playoffs for the next few seasons or so (no offense to Nets/Knicks fans)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut tells me he stays in Cleveland, but anything is possible. I just don't see either of the NYC area team being an option since they wont make the playoffs for the next few seasons or so (no offense to Nets/Knicks fans)

A .500 piece of crap Chicago team made the playoffs this season out of the East. James alone can take a team to the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He signs a 3 year deal with Cleveland then bolts after that if he still hasn't won a NBA Championship.

That's not the worst idea I've seen. I could see it happening. He'd only be 28 at the end of the deal. There would still be plenty of time to go elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut tells me he stays in Cleveland, but anything is possible. I just don't see either of the NYC area team being an option since they wont make the playoffs for the next few seasons or so (no offense to Nets/Knicks fans)

A .500 piece of crap Chicago team made the playoffs this season out of the East. James alone can take a team to the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Agreed. Want proof that an NBA superstar can literally carry a team to the playoffs? Kobe Bryant post-Shaq & pre-Pau. He was seriously the only player worth a damn on those Lakers teams, yet they only missed the playoffs once. LeBron carried a team that started Larry Hughes & Sasha Palovic (yeah I wiki'd it.) to 50 wins and an NBA Finals appearance. If anybody can carry a crap team to ridiculous heights, it's LeBron.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my predictions:

After reading the article on espn, about how Deng could go to Cleveland, and the Bulls still have cap space, that got me thinking...

- Chicago agree to a sign and trade with Cleveland: Deng and something else to Cleveland for LeBron. The Bulls use the reamaining money to sign Carlos Boozer, that is, if Boozer wants to play with LeBron this time. I don't remember what the deal in Cleveland was.

- The Knicks get Ray Allen and Dirk Nowitzki.

- Chris Bosh signs with Oklahoma City.

- Joe Johnson sign with the Clippers/Nets (can he play Small Forward?).

- Dwayne Wade stays in Miami, and they sign Amare Stoudemire.

- Rudy Gay goes to Nets/Clippers, depending on what Johnson does.

- Shaquille O'Neal "goes home" again and ends his career close to where he played his college ball, the New Orleans Hornets (I have no idea about the Hornets cap situation so don't know if this entirely possible, but I think it would be cool).

I have a feeling I'll get like two of these right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut tells me he stays in Cleveland, but anything is possible. I just don't see either of the NYC area team being an option since they wont make the playoffs for the next few seasons or so (no offense to Nets/Knicks fans)

A .500 piece of crap Chicago team made the playoffs this season out of the East. James alone can take a team to the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Agreed. Want proof that an NBA superstar can literally carry a team to the playoffs? Kobe Bryant post-Shaq & pre-Pau. He was seriously the only player worth a damn on those Lakers teams, yet they only missed the playoffs once. LeBron carried a team that started Larry Hughes & Sasha Palovic (yeah I wiki'd it.) to 50 wins and an NBA Finals appearance. If anybody can carry a crap team to ridiculous heights, it's LeBron.

What to do with LeBron? Superstars doing something watchable with Larry Hughes? That's some Dilemma!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He signs a 3 year deal with Cleveland then bolts after that if he still hasn't won a NBA Championship.

That makes no sense. He may as well not opt out of his current deal this summer, play one more season then, wait for the new CBA (and post a possible lockout) to name his destination. It is either sign a six year deal with CLE now, sign a six year deal with CLE and get traded this off season, or sign a five year deal with any other team with no trade.

Otherwise, he ties the hands of the Cavs who would have to dump a contract made under the old CBA into a new era and costs himself at least $50M in salary. CLE is helped in that Shaq's $20M salary is off their payroll, if they wanted to still pay the Luxury Tax, they can sign him and use the mid-level exemption at ~$6M/season.

Overall, opting out this summer allows all free agents to get more money than they would under the a new CBA. Heck, Dirk can opt out too, but he is slated to make $21.5M in 2010.

When they met in January, the owners wanted their next CBA to do the following:

1-Cut salaries given to First Round picks by 30%

2-Reduce the minimum salary by as much as 20%

3-Guarantee contracts for only half their value

4-Limit a contract's length (Currently, six years if resigning with your former team; five years if signing with a new team)

5-A hard salary cap, like the NFL and no "Larry Bird Exception"

6-Reduce the players' share of basketball-related income from the current 57% to no more than 50%.

Pages people may want to look at:

NBA Salary

Database

Expiring Deals

The CBA FAQ Page

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sixers offering second interviews to Avery Johnson and Doug Collins, among others. Much like last year, this whole thing is believed to be a sham, as I can't see them not giving it to Doug Collins.

Interesting though, is that among the candidates they've interviewed are Bill Laimbeer and Thunder Dan Majerle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A big day is tomorrow, the NBA Draft Lottery. New Jersey, with the worst record in the League will likely get the first pick. That brings Minnesota, with the second worst record and a unbelievable history of getting hosed by the lottery, most likely to #4, with one other lucky team getting in on Wall / Turner. If New Jersey does get Wall, it could help them land LaBron.

But my gut tells me he's going to Chicago, a franchise that was turned around by the lottery that gave them Rose, on a 1.7% chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jersey still only has a 25% shot at the first pick. If 1 out of 4 is "likely" to you, I want you to place all your bets with me. Not sure what Minnesota's "history" has to do with this year's chances, if we're presuming that the NBA draft lottery is indeed a matter of chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jersey still only has a 25% shot at the first pick. If 1 out of 4 is "likely" to you, I want you to place all your bets with me. Not sure what Minnesota's "history" has to do with this year's chances, if we're presuming that the NBA draft lottery is indeed a matter of chance.

I'm just used to getting a pick that is lower than the standings would have indicated non-lottery. There are two prizes (Wall and Turner) in this lottery. The idea of the T-Wolves getting one...I just don't see it. New Jersey may not either (potentially giving the T-wolves the 5th pick), I suppose.

Just a point of frustration. That lottery has been brutal to Minnesota (except when it slid them to 5th and they got KG instead of Calbert Cheney or someone). I think (though I did some searching and could not find it) that they once had the third worst record and wound up with the third pick and that every other time, the lottery has dropped them vs. their place in the standings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jersey still only has a 25% shot at the first pick. If 1 out of 4 is "likely" to you, I want you to place all your bets with me.

Isn't the lottery still rigged to give more changes to the worst teams? In that case, the Nets have a slightly better chance to secure the first pick.

I think the biggest hurdle for the Nets is the two-year delay before they move to Brooklyn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut is the Kings get the number one pick. The Nets having a 25% chance of getting the number on pick may make them a "one in four shot" of getting the pick but that other 75% isn't all on one team, it's divided amongst 13 teams, so the Nets getting the pick is still more likely than any other team's chance of getting the pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut is the Kings get the number one pick. The Nets having a 25% chance of getting the number on pick may make them a "one in four shot" of getting the pick but that other 75% isn't all on one team, it's divided amongst 13 teams, so the Nets getting the pick is still more likely than any other team's chance of getting the pick.

Not sure what your "gut" has to do with a game of total chance. The nets have better odds than those other 12 teams, but the odds are still against them getting the number one pick (as they are against every team.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gut is the Kings get the number one pick. The Nets having a 25% chance of getting the number on pick may make them a "one in four shot" of getting the pick but that other 75% isn't all on one team, it's divided amongst 13 teams, so the Nets getting the pick is still more likely than any other team's chance of getting the pick.

Not sure what your "gut" has to do with a game of total chance. The nets have better odds than those other 12 teams, but the odds are still against them getting the number one pick (as they are against every team.)

Just who I think will win it, I didn't say that my opinion has any bearing on tomorrow's outcome. No, the odds aren't over fifty percent, but of the teams tomorrow, the Nets have the best odds of any of the other teams. It's not a guarantee that they will get it, but they do have the best shot of the teams in the lottery. They are "the Favorite" going in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.