2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes

TFoA

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing has become increasingly clear throughout this circus; LeBron James doesn't get it when it's comes to his image. Could anyone imagine Jordan, Magic, or Bird pulling a stunt like this?

But everything is different now. Bird and Magic didn't have the same media landscape while they were playing, and, of course, neither player was going anywhere. And it's not like they were completely selfless or anything; I'm pretty sure both were the highest paid players in the league at some point in their careers. That and the video games and commercials.

And I'm pretty sure Jordan's time with the Wizards was like this, but for three years.

James is increasing his value while he can. There's nothing that says he doesn't tear his ACL any day and then everything is gone. I say good for anyone that can create this kind of (ultimately harmless) value for themselves.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Windhorst the Cavs Insider who been covering LeBron since 7th 8th grade said its almost a done deal. Word is he is on a flight to Miami now. But Windhorst can't confirm it from anyone from his inner circle.

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

One thing has become increasingly clear throughout this circus; LeBron James doesn't get it when it's comes to his image. Could anyone imagine Jordan, Magic, or Bird pulling a stunt like this?

But everything is different now. Bird and Magic didn't have the same media landscape while they were playing, and, of course, neither player was going anywhere. And it's not like they were completely selfless or anything; I'm pretty sure both were the highest paid players in the league at some point in their careers. That and the video games and commercials.

And I'm pretty sure Jordan's time with the Wizards was like this, but for three years.

James is increasing his value while he can. There's nothing that says he doesn't tear his ACL any day and then everything is gone. I say good for anyone that can create this kind of (ultimately harmless) value for themselves.

Not if everyone hates him when this is over. His "approval rating" is dropping like a stone right now. No one is saying he has to stay in Cleveland in order to preserve his image. It is however getting pretty tough to argue against the idea that he's nothing more than an egomaniac who needs to be in the spotlight. That may not matter to you or me but it might matter a great deal when it comes to endorsements etc. The difference between James and the guys I mentioned is that the guys I mentioned were smart enough to maintain an affable and down to earth image.

James is looking more and more like a prima donna who desperately needs to be in the biggest spotlight. None of this makes any difference to hard core NBA fans. It makes a huge difference to companies that are willing to pay LeBron large amounts of money to endorse their product. Company X has a far reaching brand name. They want a well known athlete to endorse their product. Company X is going to go with the guy who is the right combination of well known and likeable. The point is that when it comes to "image" being well known isn't enough.

LeBron is killing his image right now.

BB52Big.jpg

If he goes to the Heat I think he has ruined forever his chance of coming close to MJ or any of the others as "best ever". In Cleveland or New York he really "only" needs to win 2 or 3 rings and he's going to be one of the best of all time. By going to Miami he's arguably 3 of the top 10 players on his team. To me it doesn't seem that difficult to win rings with that kind of supporting cast. As good as Pippen was, he was no Wade. The best player ever can't possibly be second fiddle on his own team as he would be in Miami.

Chicago I think he'd still have to win quite a few championships to be equal to MJ, but it would at least be "his" team. Derrik Rose is good of course, but he'd be LeBron's Pippen. A great player but defiantly would be second fiddle to LeBron.

I dunno...just doesn't seem like a good decision to me no matter how you look at it. I honestly wouldn't have wanted to see all 3 of them on my team, 2 ok but all 3 of the big free agents on one team? Has that EVER happened in any sport? You could say they are like the Yankees or Chelsea (they "bought" a all-star team right?) but I don't know if those teams ever did it in one season. Just something doesn't seem right about it...

Yeah, I don't get the "everyone to Miami" thing. I have no doubt they'll fill out their team with a fairly solid supporting cast, but if they do win a title or five, it does sort of cheapen it to me for LeBron.

In response to pcgd, It just happened two years ago--KG, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce all with the Celtics--although none of them were anything near the media darlings or "big" free agent catches these three are.

That said, yep, Bron's public image may very well be crumbling quicker than Pittsburgh's infrastructure--but you know what? I say good for him. Let him soak up all the lights and bask in all the cameras. Why? because if all of the sports media (and a good number of idiot fans) weren't so busy tripping over each other, breaking their necks trying to be the first to latch their lips to the King's c*ck, none of this probably even be going on (or at least, not near to this level). I still believe ESPN set this whole thing up from the beginning and has been formulating this entire thing from start to finish, just to create ratings. We already knew Wade and Bosh were filming documentaries during this whole process; wouldn't be surprised if this whole LeBronathon was another fabricated ESPN Hollywood production. (And can someone please get Steve Broussard off TV? That dude's voice is about as easy to listen to as Roseanne's laugh.)

All that said, I'll find out sometime tomorrow what team he chose, after the comedy of posts that's sure to pop up in here just past past 9:59 p.m. tonight. (Oh you think he ain't gon' milk that hour-long "announcement special" to the very last second just to create even more suspense??? :P )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Someone posted earlier that Broussard's Twitter isn't verified.....FISHY

Verified or not, whoever is tweeting from that account has been nails with every signing so far.

6uXNWAo.png

I still believe ESPN set this whole thing up from the beginning and has been formulating this entire thing from start to finish, just to create ratings.

All that said, I'll find out sometime tomorrow what team he chose, after the comedy of posts that's sure to pop up in here just past past 9:59 p.m. tonight. (Oh you think he ain't gon' milk that hour-long "announcement special" to the very last second just to create even more suspense??? :P )

1. ESPN's ratings might spike for this ridiculous special but it's not the type of program you use to build ratings. It's a one-off and it's actually hurting ESPN more overall than it's helping them. As for the entire saga, well ESPN has been doing this type of thing for a very long time. Anyone remember "All TO all the time?"

2. According to everyone involved the "decision" will take place during the first 15 minutes of the program. The following 45 minutes will be ESPN blowing LeBron James.

BB52Big.jpg

I still believe ESPN set this whole thing up from the beginning and has been formulating this entire thing from start to finish, just to create ratings.

1. ESPN's ratings might spike for this ridiculous special but it's not the type of program you use to build ratings. It's a one-off and it's actually hurting ESPN more overall than it's helping them. As for the entire saga, well ESPN has been doing this type of thing for a very long time. Anyone remember "All TO all the time?"

2. According to everyone involved the "decision" will take place during the first 15 minutes of the program. The following 45 minutes will be ESPN blowing LeBron James.

They can show that on prime time basic cable?!? :shocked:

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Bill Simmons (not my fav but usually pretty decent) had this to say about what each choice means Lebron was thinking:

"winning (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland) or a chance at immortality (New York)."

I never thought he would pick "HELP!" (Miami)

For some reason that sums it up for me. If he wanted to win, he'd go to Chicago. If he wanted to be Loyal he'd stay in Cleveland. If he wanted to be legendary he'd go to New York. If he couldn't handle the pressure of being the guy, he'd go to Miami.

Sure. Cable is self regulated.

BB52Big.jpg

Sure. Cable is self regulated.

And here I thought you liked the government doing the regulating. :P

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

So, let me get this straight: LeBron is going to have a one hour special basically saying where he's playing next season?

Wow... Very egotisical here. I have to think that winning a ring must be more important to him then staying in Cleveland and keeping that franchise relevant.

Bill Simmons (not my fav but usually pretty decent) had this to say about what each choice means Lebron was thinking:

"winning (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland) or a chance at immortality (New York)."

I never thought he would pick "HELP!" (Miami)

For some reason that sums it up for me. If he wanted to win, he'd go to Chicago. If he wanted to be Loyal he'd stay in Cleveland. If he wanted to be legendary he'd go to New York. If he couldn't handle the pressure of being the guy, he'd go to Miami.

That is a good way to put it, but it makes sense. Anywhere LeBron goes will instantly become a contender. He's a talented player and can basically take a team to the playoffs by himself. The question is if he can do it in the playoffs. So far the answer is no. Last season he had his best chance. The Cavs were the best team in the league and they had Shaq whose helped Kobe and Dwayne get rings (although he is certainly past his prime). Yet LeBron still choked in the playoffs. Maybe he doesn't have the confidence to do it himself. I think he'd get one eventually, just like Kobe eventually got one himself. But maybe LeBron doesn't have the same confidence after this season.

So, let me get this straight: LeBron is going to have a one hour special basically saying where he's playing next season?

Wow... Very egotisical here. I have to think that winning a ring must be more important to him then staying in Cleveland and keeping that franchise relevant.

Did LeBron insist on a one hour special or did ESPN turn it into one? I think it was probaby the latter. LeBron simply said he would make his announcement today and ESPN milked it for alls its worth, like they always do.

In response to pcgd, It just happened two years ago--KG, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce all with the Celtics--although none of them were anything near the media darlings or "big" free agent catches these three are.

It also happened back in 2004 with Gary Payton and Karl Malone joining Kobe and Shaq in LA. The Redskins tried a superteam in the early 90s with Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed and others, as well.

Superteams are nothing new.

EDIT: Is Shaq O'Neal the greatest journeyman of all time? I never would have imagined him chasing titles like this after his dominant period with the Lakers and win with the Heat.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived