2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes

TFoA

Mario Chalmers will play point guard, as he did last year. They will also have roughly 2 million to spend on someone. Then minimums and the Mid Level Exception (which Shaq said he would take).

Also, remember when we all though the Boston Three Party was going to fail miserably?

And remember when everyone said LeBron hated to take the last shot a few years ago? Why does everyone forget that now?

Does Pau Gasol bitch and moan when Kobe gets the last shot? What happens when LeBron and Wade are covered, and Bosh gets the last shot and wins it? You really think he'll be that mad?

Oh, and specifically for you, if LeBron went to your Clippers he'd have to compete with Baron Davis (BARON EFFING DAVIS!) and Chris Kaman (All Star Center due to Yao's abundance of injuries) for last shot oppurtunities, so that would be a failure as well.

-Chalmers is not exactly an elite point guard in the NBA.

-Allen, Garnett and Pierce were all willing to shoulder responsibility and suspend egos for the sake of the team because they were all old and exiting their prime anyway. Wade, LeBron, and Bosh are still relatively young and entering their primes. Therefore, at the height of their ability, they'll all want to be the alpha dog on the team.

-Regardless of what LeBron said, there's still two others on the team that didn't say they hated taking the last shot, and when Spoelstra tells LeBron to take the last shot, Wade and Bosh are going to be pissed.

-There's a CLEAR delineation of power on the Lakers. Pau's good, but he's not a superstar and there's no way he's competing with Kobe for the title of team leader. Kobe has that on lock. As far as the Bosh thing goes, your missing my point. Regardless of whether or not Bosh makes the basket, you're deluded if you don't think LeBron or Wade would be at least a little bit jealous.

-Again, there would be a clear delineation of power if LeBron were to join the Clippers. Davis and Kaman are good, but they would immediately cease being the team leaders once LeBron comes to town. In L.A. we're talking a superstar surrounded by a solid, talented lineup, as opposed to in Miami, where it would be three superstars and a bunch of league-minimum scrubs.

They're called complementary players. Perhaps you are too young to remember, but the Chicago Bulls of the 90s would do this regularly. I believe they even won a title or two in the process.

I'm not too young to remember the Jordan Bulls. I used to loathe them back in the day.

There's a difference between "complementary players" and outright scrubs. Complementary players would be great role players that you wouldn't build a team around. Scrubs would be the only players the Heat would be able to afford after blowing their money on Wade, James, and Bosh.

The Jordan Bulls were like the theoretical LeBron Clippers on steroids - Jordan was the star, and he had a really good and talented supporting cast.

The working theory is that some of these solid complementary players will allow themselves to be compensated like scrubs for the chance to play with these three and win a title. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope he goes to Miami, Cleveland would be the boring choice, New York and Chicago would be cool, I don't know if he really could accept not being the best player on the team if he goes to Miami. But really, can he go on national TV and rip the hearts out of Cleveland fans? He owes them nothing, but it's still his state.

Please excuse the poor structuring of my posts, I'm no good at saying what I'm thinking.

I don't quite understand why so many think this one hour special is going to hurt Lebron's image so bad. He has ALWAYS gotten this type of attention, it's nothing new. Hell, even his high school basketball games were broadcast live on ESPN back in the day. It makes even less sense to me hearing from those who feel that James is personally responsible for this attention. Sure he has some control over it, he's trying to build an image, but the media is essentially what's hyping him up so hard, not Lebron. And I understand how some feel that him teaming up with Bosh and Wade makes him look like he can't lead a team by himself, but what'll everybody say about it if the Heat haul in four or five titles in the next decade? With those three in the starting lineup you could add Betty White and Stevie Wonder to round out the starting five and still blow through everyone in the east.

Here is how it hurts him;

a.) Before the end of the season he was being called a great teammate, unselfish, more concerned about winning, etc. The words "prima donna" never came up when talking about LeBron James. Now those words and a lot of other uncomplimentary terms are popping up left and right. He looks like an attention hog and, you guessed it, a major prima donna. In a few short weeks he's managed to go from looking like the ultimate "team player" superstar to a guy who seems to want all the attention he can get. None of this matters on the court of course but it does matter to his overall image. As I stated in an earlier post, companies like their pitchmen do be both well-known and well-liked. LeBron is using up quite a bit of his "well-liked" capital with this sideshow he's orchestrating. Is he "destroying" his image like Tiger Woods or Brett Favre? No, but he's certainly taking a hit.

Then there's the matter of his free agency. I have no problem with him leaving Cleveland. I do however think that if he leaves Cleveland by going on national TV to announce it he's basically sending one giant :censored:-you-a-gram to a market and fans who were very loyal supporters of his for seven years. Again, none of it matters on the court but he'll take another image hit. As Bill Simmons put it, "If LeBron picks anyone other than the Cavaliers, it will be the cruelest television moment since David Chase ended "The Sopranos... This stomach-punch moment? Calculated. By a local kid they loved, defended and revered."

I can't blame him if he leaves Cleveland and I have no problem with it if he does. (I was actually hoping it would be the Knicks) Still, there's absolutely no good reason to stick a knife in Cleveland's heart as the world watches.

b.) You're right, LeBron had no control over the media circus that lead up to this moment. He does however have absolute control over this contrived TV show he's using to make the announcement. Maybe I'm missing something but it sure seems to me that there isn't anything other than ego that would make a player want to do what he's going to do at 9pm.

c.) LeBron, Wade, and Bosh surrounded by a bunch of stiffs is good for 50-53 wins and a second round exit from the playoffs. I'm not saying they won't eventually win a title with the Heat but it's far from automatic next season.

BB52Big.jpg

We now interrupt your LeBron Hate-a-thon to announce a trade:Knicks get:Anthony RandolphKelenna AzubuikeRonny TuriafWarriors get:David Lee (Who will sign a 6 year/$80M deal)This is conditional on LeBron James NOT going to New York. If he does decide at the last minute to change his mind & head to New York, then this deal is off.EDIT:Accuscore predicts what could happen if The Dream 3 forms.

Full NBA seasons were projected 10,000 times with all the current free agents moves and LeBron in Miami. Here are some interesting numbers for the Heat: 1. The average record is 67-15, best in the NBA 2. Best record in any simulation was 79-3 (1 in 10,000) 3. Worst record in any simulation was 40-42 4. Chance of winning 73+ games is 19.3% (NBA win record) 5. Chance of winning 72+ games is 24.6% (ties Bulls win record) 6. Chance of winning 60+ games is 79.4%
The long & short of this is: As far as the regular season is concerned, the NBA is :censored: ED if this happened.

Of course, the chance of the Heat winning the title is all of 35%.

6fQjS3M.png

The more I think about it the more I think LeBron isn't going anywhere. The kid is just too smart to do something as stupid as going on national TV to :censored:-over his hometown with the world watching. This Miami stuff is a red herring. Think about it, he shows up tonight and says "Miami was tempting but I'm staying home" and he's suddenly a huge hero. His image becomes bigger than it already is.

If he is leaving then I just can't believe he'd be this stupid about it. No one gets that dumb in a month. Relax Cavs fans. He's not going anywhere.

BB52Big.jpg

The more I think about it the more I think LeBron isn't going anywhere. The kid is just too smart to do something as stupid as going on national TV to :censored:-over his hometown with the world watching. This Miami stuff is a red herring. Think about it, he shows up tonight and says "Miami was tempting but I'm staying home" and he's suddenly a huge hero. His image becomes bigger than it already is.

If he is leaving then I just can't believe he'd be this stupid about it. No one gets that dumb in a month. Relax Cavs fans. He's not going anywhere.

That works if "home" is somewhere cool.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Cool has nothing to do with it. You're a wrestling fan, what benefit is there for LeBron to "turn heel" in front of the entire world? Do you really think if he screws Cleveland tonight that there will be no ramifications outside Ohio?

That aside, have you ever been to Cleveland for any amount of time? Or are you bashing the place based simply on what you've heard?

BB52Big.jpg

Now, I'm in no way jumping onto the "Hate-LeBronmobile" at all, but did anyone by chance watch Outside The Lines today? It's by far the most interesting one I've seen. They had six people on the show today talking about the LeBron situation, and each seemed quite disturbed, some even disgusted by how LeBron has gone about this. Skip Bayless was on, and he's always a lock to say something bad about him, but Kevin Blackistone, Jamie Mckendry, and even Chris Broussard of all people seemed to be appalled as well. I think today's episode of OTL tells you all you need to know about the situation and what it's become; the epitome of unfortunate. I think it was Blackistone who said something along the lines of the fact that the only real happy ending to this is if he stays in Cleveland, but either way it is sort of a lose-lose: Stay in Cleveland and make a big deal out of nothing and lead a multitude of other teams onto nothing, or join Miami and become "Cleveland super-villain #2 behind Art Modell", and kill the hearts of your loyal faithful.

I'm telling you guys, if you haven't watched it, try to find clips or something if you wish. It was very, very interesting. As I said, I think it's the best OTL episode yet.

And let me say, none of this is my opinion. All of this was purely discussion on the show.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Double post, sorry.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Now, I'm in no way jumping onto the "Hate-LeBronmobile" at all, but did anyone by chance watch Outside The Lines today? It's by far the most interesting one I've seen. They had six people on the show today talking about the LeBron situation, and each seemed quite disturbed, some even disgusted by how LeBron has gone about this. Skip Bayless was on, and he's always a lock to say something bad about him, but Kevin Blackistone, Jamie Mckendry, and even Chris Broussard of all people seemed to be appalled as well. I think today's episode of OTL tells you all you need to know about the situation and what it's become; the epitome of unfortunate. I think it was Blackistone who said something along the lines of the fact that the only real happy ending to this is if he stays in Cleveland, but either way it is sort of a lose-lose: Stay in Cleveland and make a big deal out of nothing and lead a multitude of other teams onto nothing, or join Miami and become "Cleveland super-villain #2 behind Art Modell", and kill the hearts of your loyal faithful.

I'm telling you guys, if you haven't watched it, try to find clips or something if you wish. It was very, very interesting. As I said, I think it's the best OTL episode yet.

Exactly. Does anyone here really believe LeBron is that oblivious to what screwing Cleveland will do to his brand?

Also, if he leaves he'll become super villain number one. Remember, the Browns came back.

All I'm saying is that if he is going to leave, and let me stress again I have no problem with him leaving, then he's really botching his exit. There's just no way a kid this smart can do something so incredibly stupid.

BB52Big.jpg

They're not going 82-0 en route to a title, but they're winning more than 40 games. Get real.

And how are they planning on doing that without a point guard, a center, or a bench?

By just out talenting the rest of the East, which for the most part also lacks point guards, centers, and benches.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I haven't been following the NBA free agent signings, but considering what's left on the market, what makes Cleveland more appealing than New York or Miami? Who else is left on the market that can get Cleveland over the hump?

Wade is staying in Miami, and Bosh is going to Miami.

Amare has signed with New York.

Joe Johnson is staying in Atlanta.

FWIW, The Miami Herald has pulled a full page welcome ad. The "sources" are starting to change their story again. Looking like LeBron had another change of heart.

Cool has nothing to do with it. You're a wrestling fan, what benefit is there for LeBron to "turn heel" in front of the entire world? Do you really think if he screws Cleveland tonight that there will be no ramifications outside Ohio?

That aside, have you ever been to Cleveland for any amount of time? Or are you bashing the place based simply on what you've heard?

Cleveland's full of single white men that DG despises.....

I spent a week in Cleveland back in 2004. The downtown was completely shut off at 5:00 p.m. and the only thing open within walking distance of my hotel was a Subway. However, I did have lunch at some place called the Town Fryer -- the first and only time I ever had fried macaroni and cheese.

I've also spent time in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and others. I know where I'd rather spend the majority of my working life.

But I do think you have a point -- the proper script is for him to call a conference to announce he's staying. However, life doesn't always follow scripts. I have no clue what he's going to announce.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Gah, I don't know what I want to happpen anymore. If LeBron goes to Miami, most of his pure dominance will be going to waste playing with two other superstars. One thing is for certain, I want him to leave Cleveland. I'm just wondering why I am getting so worked up over this.

1) Don't heels get the ladies (as it were)

2) We evaluate careers based on championships thanks to a certain 24 hour cable sports network. Not on whether or not the player heaped yet another round of brief misery on a dying rust belt town.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If LeBron was truly concerned with Cleveland, why would he have let himself enter free agency to begin with? If he would have earned a max contract anyway, he could have just signed an extension. Just by igniting this drama inferno, he's already stabbed Cleveland in the back. Just a matter of if he twists the blade before yanking it out.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived