2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes

TFoA

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to the Wizards. Their consolation prize for losing the LBJ Sweepstakes is that they win the John Wall Sweepstakes.

Sucks since he's probably gonna be in the Hawks division now, but man, if there was ever a franchise that needed a pick-me-up, it would be the Wizards.

For the record, I hope he goes to the Clippers. Mainly because he'll no longer be in the East, & admit it, a Lakers/Clippers rivalry that is ACTUALLY a rivalry would be awesome. Kobe & LeBron sharing an arena, but fighting for supremacy of LA & the NBA in the same arena? I'll take that.

As a Clipper fan, I'll take that too. The mere possibility of a Lakers/Clippers Western Conference Finals is almost as exciting as the Clippers actually being able to make the WCF in the first place.

Honestly, even trying to take an unbiased perspective, I can't see him going anywhere else but the Clippers. They have the least media attention now. There is no Jordan or Ewing for him to be in the shadow of, no Wade to have to share the spotlight with. There is the possibility of challenging Kobe where it really matters - same conference, same division, same city, same arena. Then there's the fact that one Clippers championship would be more meaningful than half the Lakers' titles, and wouldn't LeBron want to be attached to the euphoria that would happen then in LA and even around the world? A Clippers championship would be the one of the most meaningful championships in sports history, right up with the 2004 Red Sox and whenever the Cubs finally win a World Series. Plus, while New York has a lot to do, LA is where stars are made. LBJ can hang with A-listers in LA.

Basketball-wise, the Clippers fit him like a glove. No team has a better or more complete supporting cast to put around him. Baron Davis is possibly the best passer in the NBA. Blake Griffin will basically be Amare in his prime in a couple years. Chris Kaman will drain the shot pretty much every time from the post, providing he doesn't become Mr. Flippy as he often does by the end of the season... and nobody is better from the weak side than Eric Gordon. Plus, with DeAndre Jordan as an up-and-coming prospect, and the rash of veterans that will sign at minimum salary just to cling on to a winning team that could be our bench, we'd definitely be the best team in the league and possibly one of the greatest teams of all time. We also have the cap space to pay him a lot, which is a plus.

The Knicks and Nets have too many question marks. The Heat - what does he do if Wade leaves? In Chicago, he'll always be compared unfavorably to Jordan. And I don't think he'll stay in Cleveland after he was booed off the court by his own fans. The Clippers just make too much sense.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Wow, Jersey won't get Wall or Turner. Yikes. They'll probably draft DeMarcus Cousins and watch him eat his way out of the league.

Congrats to the Wizards, but I really don't want to hear about the spirit of Abe Pollin guiding the ping-pong balls. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wiz traded the pick to maybe try to "rebuild" a little sooner. Their roster is raw, hot, festering, nasty-for-no-damn-reason garbage. They need a ton of help.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

For the record, I hope he goes to the Clippers. Mainly because he'll no longer be in the East, & admit it, a Lakers/Clippers rivalry that is ACTUALLY a rivalry would be awesome. Kobe & LeBron sharing an arena, but fighting for supremacy of LA & the NBA in the same arena? I'll take that.

As a Clipper fan, I'll take that too. The mere possibility of a Lakers/Clippers Western Conference Finals is almost as exciting as the Clippers actually being able to make the WCF in the first place.

Honestly, even trying to take an unbiased perspective, I can't see him going anywhere else but the Clippers. They have the least media attention now. There is no Jordan or Ewing for him to be in the shadow of, no Wade to have to share the spotlight with. There is the possibility of challenging Kobe where it really matters - same conference, same division, same city, same arena. Then there's the fact that one Clippers championship would be more meaningful than half the Lakers' titles, and wouldn't LeBron want to be attached to the euphoria that would happen then in LA and even around the world? A Clippers championship would be the one of the most meaningful championships in sports history, right up with the 2004 Red Sox and whenever the Cubs finally win a World Series. Plus, while New York has a lot to do, LA is where stars are made. LBJ can hang with A-listers in LA.

Basketball-wise, the Clippers fit him like a glove. No team has a better or more complete supporting cast to put around him. Baron Davis is possibly the best passer in the NBA. Blake Griffin will basically be Amare in his prime in a couple years. Chris Kaman will drain the shot pretty much every time from the post, providing he doesn't become Mr. Flippy as he often does by the end of the season... and nobody is better from the weak side than Eric Gordon. Plus, with DeAndre Jordan as an up-and-coming prospect, and the rash of veterans that will sign at minimum salary just to cling on to a winning team that could be our bench, we'd definitely be the best team in the league and possibly one of the greatest teams of all time. We also have the cap space to pay him a lot, which is a plus.

The Knicks and Nets have too many question marks. The Heat - what does he do if Wade leaves? In Chicago, he'll always be compared unfavorably to Jordan. And I don't think he'll stay in Cleveland after he was booed off the court by his own fans. The Clippers just make too much sense.

There is no way in hell a reasonable mind can reconcile that statement. Seriously, dude?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Then there's the fact that one Clippers championship would be more meaningful than half the Lakers' titles, and wouldn't LeBron want to be attached to the euphoria that would happen then in LA and even around the world? A Clippers championship would be the one of the most meaningful championships in sports history, right up with the 2004 Red Sox and whenever the Cubs finally win a World Series.

LOL.

A little perspective here.

The Clippers winning an NBA Title would be more like the Pirates winning the MLB Title... good for them for going from irrelevance to relevance, but that's about it.

Ehhh... Watch out dude. There's plenty of questions marks in Clipper-land. B. Diddy possibly the best passer? Really? I think Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tyreke Evans, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo and Chauncey Billups (and anyone else I may have forgotten) would have something to say about that. Davis is good, no doubt, but he's not in the right system as he was in Golden State (bone-headed move to leave Nelson) to maximize his abilities. The man is of the same mold as Stephon Marbury and other shoot-first point guards. Blake Griffin hasn't played a single professional game yet... so I don't think we should be making any comparisons to anybody at this point, or we will have learned nothing from Greg Oden. Chris Kaman, solid, so no beef there. Eric Gordon, solid as well. DeAndre Jordan, tons of potential, but how many of those "potential" guys actually live up to it? Let's not forget that the Clippers have been the worst run NBA franchise of the last 20+ years. They're in the same conference as the Lakers, Mavericks, Jazz, Thunder, Suns, Nuggets, Spurs, Blazers who are all currently better than LAC, thus making the road to the NBA Finals extremely competitive in the western conference. Sterling also can't offer anymore money to Lebron than he can get from other teams outside of Cleveland. I see absolutely no reason why Lebron James would ever consider the Clippers. The Bulls, Heat, Knicks, Nets and Cavaliers all have their strengths and weaknesses, but they're all in the East, where Lebron doesn't have to do all that much to at least get to the conference finals against Orlando or Boston.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

There is no way in hell a reasonable mind can reconcile that statement. Seriously, dude?

He can't be serious. It's too :censored:-ing funny to be serious. I tried to read it with an open mind but I couldn't stop laughing and that's when I realized that making me laugh had to be the point. You'll never convince me that this place has a member not named dfwabel that is so completely out of touch with reality.

The Clippers just make too much sense? :lol: Seriously, that's like Richard Pryor funny.

BB52Big.jpg

I had a gut feeling that Washington would get it since they had just the right kind of bad luck rather than the obvious bad luck.

Come to think of it, how come nobody brings up the Wizards as a player in the free agency market? They may not have the money to commit to another max-level deal, but I'm sure that they'd be the one oddball choice that some of the free agents out there might align itself up with. The team's going through a MAJOR reconstruction process, even more so than any of the other lottery teams with money to throw around. Although...Arenas really is holding the franchise hostage, so even if they could be players, they have a $17M+ anchor. Who would have thought Hibachi would be the next Crawford?

GR30a5H.png

Wouldn't surprise me if the Washington Wizards win the Draft Lottery.

We got a Prophet right here, folks!

:D

Thank you.

And now you would get John Wall with Agent 0 now. ^_^

But the most appropriate emoticon is this: (bow)

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Thank you.

Oh, I don't have the faintest interest in the NBA. I just wanted to see if my not so outlandish proclamation came true.

I had a gut feeling that Washington would get it since they had just the right kind of bad luck rather than the obvious bad luck.

Come to think of it, how come nobody brings up the Wizards as a player in the free agency market? They may not have the money to commit to another max-level deal, but I'm sure that they'd be the one oddball choice that some of the free agents out there might align itself up with. The team's going through a MAJOR reconstruction process, even more so than any of the other lottery teams with money to throw around. Although...Arenas really is holding the franchise hostage, so even if they could be players, they have a $17M+ anchor. Who would have thought Hibachi would be the next Crawford?

The Arenas contract, combined with the amount of debt which Leonsis will incur by buying the team and controlling interest in the MCI Center is really an issue. According to reports, following a cash payment, he will finance at least $170M of the facility and Wizard debt. Luckily for him, it is a team option for Josh Howard and his $$11.835M salary. That should not be picked up and in gaining controlling interest in MCI Center he can pay off the facility faster as he now receives the revenue from suites and club seats; something which were previously controlled by the Wizards and the Polin estate.

I got one to say about the Nets don't underestimate this Russian guy, he is rich beyond belief and has no problem throwing money around like its water. He says in five years the Nets will win it all and I believe he can get it done.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I got one to say about the Nets don't underestimate this Russian guy, he is rich beyond belief and has no problem throwing money around like its water. He says in five years the Nets will win it all and I believe he can get it done.

Before you talk about all the money which could be spent, you may want to look at the history of Chelsea since Roman Abramovich bought them in 2003. They have been successful domestically, but they have not won the Champions League and he has run thought four managers (head coaches) in that time, including The Special One.

Also, will turnabout be made by the Celtics? The Magic closed the Boston Garden for the Celtics in 1995 via a sweep. Was that the final game inside the O-rena?

All the money in the world doesn't help you when you're handcuffed with a salary cap.

I wonder how much LeBron could get if the NBA didn't have a salary cap....

Dfwabel & Hedley hit it on the nail. If the NBA didn't have a salary cap this summer, LeBron would probably be in New Jersey right now & the Nets would be a budding powerhouse with all of the spending that they'd do. But alas, the salary cap prevents the Nets from becoming Basketball Chelsea.

Thank you.

But the most appropriate emoticon is this: (bow)

If the Wiz are smart they try to free themselves of Arenas, and make a run at Melo next year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Dfwabel & Hedley hit it on the nail. If the NBA didn't have a salary cap this summer, LeBron would probably be in New Jersey right now & the Nets would be a budding powerhouse with all of the spending that they'd do. But alas, the salary cap prevents the Nets from becoming Basketball Chelsea.

Even with a new CBA and some sort of "luxury tax", Mikhail Prokhorov still may elect to pay the tax. Still, if he is like Abramovich he may also fire coaches after 1-2 seasons thus never have stability within the team, something which Chelsea tightropes with even after a domestic double this season.

According to Forbes, he and Paul Allen are basically equal in terms of wealth (37th and 39th) and look at how many titles Allen has won.

Tonight, when he was introduced, his eyes were moving and had a look on his face which said, "How much for the redhead (Heather Cox)?"

Archived