2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes

TFoA

Yeah... Woodson is scary.

Here is something I don't understand... and I am hoping you guys help me with this... Cleveland Cavaliers do EVERYTHING in their power to build a championship team... and LeBron is 50/50 gone. Miami Heat all but abandon Dwayne Wade, and he is going to resign, no questions asked.

Doing "EVERYTHING" and doing "THE RIGHT THINGS" are different things. I'm no basketball expert so I can't comment on their decisions, but it would seem from taking the pulse of this community as well as other basketball fans that the Cavs don't have a great "plan" in place, and it's more of a "get whoever we can to put with LeBron" kind of thing. Not that they're not trying, but are they doing it the right way?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true... but outside of Mo Williams, I can't really say it was a badly constructed team. Mo Williams was a volume player... he needed a lot of attempts to be effective. I can't even count how many games he started 0-4, 1-6, 1-7, but then would end up shooting a mildly respectable 6-12, 6-13.

They ran into the same problem the last 2 years... They built a team JUST to beat LA and Boston. Will, they ran into Orlando. So then they built a team to beat just Orland and LA... well they ran into Boston. That being said, they had enough pieces and parts to beat all 3 of those teams - because they did in the regular season... and not just by 1 or 2 points, but by double digits, on the road, and some as many at 17+ point wins.

Now I know the regular season is nothing like the post season, but they did have enough pieces to play many different kinds of basketball to keep those teams on their toes. And I revert that back to coaching. Mike Brown was bad. People keep saying OMG he had a .663 win percentage. Well, were the Cavs a product of Brown's success, or a product of LeBron's success?

I know this is probably frowned upon, but someone I am very close to worked with a media outlet that regularly covers Cavs games... and that person was in the locker room, on the side line. That person told me REGULARLY that Brown would start talking about something, and LeBron would step in and say No, we are going to do this... and Brown would just go along with it. That person also that when Mike Brown would do interviews, people would walk away saying "he is clueless" "he has no idea what is going on with the franchise/team." That person also said when he gets mic'ed up for the side line, that there is very a very limited pool because it mostly consists of players over ruling him in the huddle.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

• 3 weeks later...

Free Agency officially starts on Thursday, so I thought it was appropriate to bring this back up. There are reports here in Phoenix saying that the Suns will be giving Amare a maximum contract and he will sign on Thursday.

There are reports here in Phoenix saying that the Suns will be giving Amare a maximum contract and he will sign on Thursday.

Yeah, right. Got a Link?

Last I heard, the Suns were on their knees and Amare was holding out until others begin to sign.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm not believing anything until it actually happens. I've heard rumors like Chris Paul is going to be traded because he couldn't deal with Katrina (which makes PERFECT sense considering that he wasn't there. lmao.), LeBron going to (insert team with available cap space here) is a done deal, Amare & Wade in a package deal, Bosh signing with two different teams in two days and many other reports being forwarded by "reputable" news outlets.

Basically, I'm treating NBA Free Agency news & rumors like I treat dirtsheets in pro wrestling: I ain't believing :censored: until it actually happens.

There are reports here in Phoenix saying that the Suns will be giving Amare a maximum contract and he will sign on Thursday.

Yeah, right. Got a Link?

It was in the Arizona Republic this morning where Paul Coro was stating it was a done deal. It contradicts the azcentral article I read a few minutes ago where it states they'll meet with him on Tuesday to discuss an extension with the Max money

I'm not believing anything until it actually happens. I've heard rumors like Chris Paul is going to be traded because he couldn't deal with Katrina (which makes PERFECT sense considering that he wasn't there. lmao.), LeBron going to (insert team with available cap space here) is a done deal, Amare & Wade in a package deal, Bosh signing with two different teams in two days and many other reports being forwarded by "reputable" news outlets.

Basically, I'm treating NBA Free Agency news & rumors like I treat dirtsheets in pro wrestling: I ain't believing :censored: until it actually happens.

So Triple H will intefere with the Knicks signing LeBron James and have him join the Evolution team?

Yeah, right. Got a Link?

It was in the Arizona Republic this morning where Paul Coro was stating it was a done deal. It contradicts the azcentral article I read a few minutes ago where it states they'll meet with him on Tuesday to discuss an extension with the Max money

Nowhere in that article, nor on any other sites can I find anything that says Amare has agreed to re-sign with Phoenix. If he had, ESPN would be all over the story.

All the recent articles I see on him have a headline that looks something like this: Suns plead with Stoudemire not to leave

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah, right. Got a Link?

Nowhere in that article, nor on any other sites can I find anything that says Amare has agreed to re-sign with Phoenix. If he had, ESPN would be all over the story.

All the recent articles I see on him have a headline that looks something like this: Suns plead with Stoudemire not to leave

where did I say in the article I posted does it say he has signed a contract, i'm going with what I read this morning. I said what I read contradicts with the latest link where it says they will meet with Amare, never said signed.

Yeah, right. Got a Link?

where did I say in the article I posted does it say he has signed a contract, i'm going with what I read this morning. I said what I read contradicts with the latest link where it says they will meet with Amare, never said signed.

No. You said there were reports coming out of Phoenix that Amare has agreed to re-sign with the Suns. As far as free agency is concerned, verbally agreeing to sign with a team and actually signing on the dotted line basically carry the same meaning.

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah, right. Got a Link?

No. You said there were reports coming out of Phoenix that Amare has agreed to re-sign with the Suns. As far as free agency is concerned, verbally agreeing to sign with a team and actually signing on the dotted line basically carry the same meaning.

Which I took back because of the contradicting article that was posted on azcentral.com. Geesh man, if it's not another form of social networking it's here :P

Which I took back because of the contradicting article that was posted on azcentral.com. Geesh man, if it's not another form of social networking it's here :P

Yep. Just what I thought.

Amare has not and will not re-ink with the Suns. You don't need to be an insider to know that.

6uXNWAo.png

Dumb-guy question:

Can a player...say LeBron with Cleveland or Joe Johnson with Atlanta...sign the largest money deal with their former team, then be traded to another team..... and still be eligible to get the bigger money their current teams can offer and the persuing teams can't? I assume that's how these sign-and-trades work.

Dumb-guy question:

Can a player...say LeBron with Cleveland or Joe Johnson with Atlanta...sign the largest money deal with their former team, then be traded to another team..... and still be eligible to get the bigger money their current teams can offer and the persuing teams can't? I assume that's how these sign-and-trades work.

Yes, they're still eligible since the contract was actually signed with their former team. And yes, that typically is why you would see a sign and trade. For what it's worth in regards to sign and trades, I believe if the trade is voided for any reason, the contract is as well.

IUe6Hvh.png

Dumb-guy question:

Yes, they're still eligible since the contract was actually signed with their former team. And yes, that typically is why you would see a sign and trade. For what it's worth in regards to sign and trades, I believe if the trade is voided for any reason, the contract is as well.

Correct, if a FA resigned under a "max contract", not only are they able to get the most money, they can also get one additional contract year on compared to signing with a new team alone. Keep in mind with the CBA ending after next season, the players salaries may decrease as much as 20% if the owners have their way since the initial NBA proposal was to reduce them 30-40%.

Cavs are shopping Mo Williams and Delonte West apparently. I guess Cleveland is trying to show LBJ that they're still trying to retool and put a contender around him, but I can't imagine anybody is going to give them much for either player.

Assuming the Cavs lose out on Lebron, what kind of team do they have next year? They have some talent, but are they a playoff team?

Call me a homer but I think so. I mean in a conference as weak as the East, I still think the Cavs are a playoff contender at the least sans LeBron.

6fQjS3M.png

LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade met in Miami over the weekend to discuss the possibility of all three teaming up in Miami.

I don't see why these guys just don't take :censored:ing pay-cuts, considering how much they make off merchandise, endorsements, sponsors, ect.

If it is NBA related merchandise (e.g. jerseys, player tees...), then it is counted as BRI or Basketball Related Income and is accounted for by the NBA in determining the Salary Cap for this next season. The terms of the CBA will change after June 30, 2011, and so may what is considered BRI, but if there is a team logo/name on the merchandise, then the NBA determines what goes to the players.

Even if you think they should take mid-levels, as a professional player, they have limited years to make as much money as they can. Regardless of their education and business opportunities following their career, they will not be able to generate this type of guaranteed salary 99.44% of the they are gone from the NBA, which should be their next 40-50 years of life. They did not make the terms of the contracts, they are just able to benefit from what the current CBA allows them to benefit from their skills.

Cavs are shopping Mo Williams and Delonte West apparently. I guess Cleveland is trying to show LBJ that they're still trying to retool and put a contender around him, but I can't imagine anybody is going to give them much for either player.

Assuming the Cavs lose out on Lebron, what kind of team do they have next year? They have some talent, but are they a playoff team?

Call me a homer but I think so. I mean in a conference as weak as the East, I still think the Cavs are a playoff contender at the least sans LeBron.

I think you mean they could still make the playoffs, which is not that hard to do in the Eastern Conference. Then again, this team still does not have a head coach.

Archived