2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes

TFoA

I think it would be hilarious if Jonny Football led the Browns to a Super Bowl win before Lebron won a championship with the Cavs.

I'd find it most hilarious if the least-yearned pro franchise of the city Indians win a World Series before either the Browns or Cavaliers win either of their respective championships.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, I think LeBron and his handlers have abandoned trying to be the next Jordan. They know that ship sailed; Jordan never went down in the Finals (and I'll be generous and throw out the one-man '07 Cavs). So instead of being the next Jordan, they're going to make him the first LeBron: the guy who heroically returned home not to win but for the sake of coming home. I don't know how many championships it would be equivalent to and I don't care because it doesn't matter. The race is run. Jordan won.

Jordan would've hired a hitman break LeBron's knees if he ever approached 6 rings. Jordan was never going to lose.

"That's right RESPECT the rings!!!"

I think it would be hilarious if Jonny Football led the Browns to a Super Bowl win before Lebron won a championship with the Cavs.

I'd find it most hilarious if the least-yearned pro franchise of the city Indians win a World Series before either the Browns or Cavaliers win either of their respective championships.

I can't speak for everyone in Cleveland, but if I asked my Cleveland friends what they'd like to see first I'm pretty sure most would take a championship in this order: Browns Super Bowl, Indians World Series, Cavs NBA championship.

The Cavs are big right now because they're just the best shot at ending the drought and they'll take anything they can get. A Super Bowl or World Series win would be more coveted though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I can't speak for everyone in Cleveland, but if I asked my Cleveland friends what they'd like to see first I'm pretty sure most would take a championship in this order: Browns Super Bowl, Indians World Series, Cavs NBA championship.

The Cavs are big right now because they're just the best shot at ending the drought and they'll take anything they can get. A Super Bowl or World Series win would be more coveted though.

Isn't that true of most places, though?

I'm trying to think of a single market having all three of those major league sports where the NBA team is the undisputed king.

I wonder if part of it is that LeBron's contract is only for 2 years, with an opt-out after 1, or that this Cavs team, as currently constructed, is not ready to win a championship now. Of course, the short contract may also play into the upcoming CBA negotiations, but how does anyone know for sure?

In other words, it's nice and all that LeBron has come home, but the more pertinent question is how long he stays in Cleveland.

I can't wait for all the Ohioans yearning for the area's first championship in 50 years (it's odd that everyone ignores Ohio State in that calculation) to find out what difference a title makes in "every day life," whether it be LeBron's, Johnny's, or the Indians' doing. Hint: none.

My point was simply this - People in this area don't care as much about it as you think they do. Sure, there is a percentage of fans who fall into the "live and die with it" category, but there aren't nearly as many of them as the media coverage would lead you to believe there are. But what do I know? I only live here. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Anecdotally -- and this is based on living and working in the downtown area -- people were pretty pumped for a while about the Seahawks' run last year. There was a good three-week period where all you saw were Seahawks clothes, 12 signs in windows and cars, and long lines at the pro shop. I was surprised by just how over-the-moon everyone was, and to be honest, it was pretty fun.

I lived in Louisville during one of their Final Four runs, and the sentiment was similar, but a little different. There was more a "this school is awesome!" contrasted to Seattle's "this city is awesome!" People felt pretty good here during and immediately after the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Again, isn't that true of most places? Sports are a diversion in people's lives, especially in the offseason. Big stories may flare up from time to time, but they pass and life goes on.

It is indeed. All I was saying is that the media likes to overstate our reaction to LBJ's return. We think it's cool and all, but very few of us are running around shouting "we're saved" and the like.

BB52Big.jpg

I see Infrared's point....LeBron's not going to win any games with the Cavs between now and Halloween. The Browns have training camp opening up in the next couple weeks....fans are probably more ramped up for that.

Those are fans who will equally follow teams in multiple sports. While some fans put more weight into one sport and devote more attention to it, these fans will tend their attention to the team and sport upcoming the soonest. While the Cavaliers won't really play any meaningful basketball games until April, the Browns and their season quest begins in September, so Cleveland's broad sports attention will lean over towards the NFL for the next two months.

23 should not be retired league wide. If it got retired league wide, then 13 should as well, and maybe another number or two. The NBA would have been just fine without a Michael Jordan - he was a great player - arguably the best (I think most people would have him in the top 3) of all time, but he certainly isn't worth honoring outside of Chicago (and of course the HOF and everything else that goes along with being great.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I never had a problem with the NHL retiring 99 league wide (in fact I thought it was the coolest thing ever when it happened) because Gretzky was, contrarianism aside, undeniably the greatest player the sport had seen.

Maybe this is my basketball naivety speaking but I consider Jordan to be that for basketball (granted Wayne knew when to stay retired). So if the NBA wants to retire 23 league wide? I won't put up a fuss.

I never had a problem with the NHL retiring 99 league wide (in fact I thought it was the coolest thing ever when it happened) because Gretzky was, contrarianism aside, undeniably the greatest player the sport had seen.

Maybe this is my basketball naivety speaking but I consider Jordan to be that for basketball (granted Wayne knew when to stay retired). So if the NBA wants to retire 23 league wide? I won't put up a fuss.

I wouldn't be upset either if #23 was retired league-wide. Yes, there were many NBA greats before Michael Jordan but he was the one the put the entire league on his shoulders and made the NBA a successful global product.

I wouldn't be upset either if #23 was retired league-wide. Yes, there were many NBA greats before Michael Jordan but he was the one the put the entire league on his shoulders and made the NBA a successful global product.

but did Jordan himself do that or was it a Jordan/Nike/Stern collaboration? Jordan may be the best player in NBA history, but he had a marketing campaign like no athlete ever had before (and perhaps since).

Jordan's success helped the NBA has a whole, but I don't think every franchise should be mandated to honor him. I don't think the fans in Detroit or Salt Lake City are big Jordan fans.

They had to change not only rules, but the actual make up of the court (size of key etc) due to wilt. He averaged 50 pts in a season!

Not saying he's number one, but when there's such a debate for that slot, there's no way you can retire a number league wide.

Another thing in gretzky's favor is that it was #99 and nobody would've worn it anyway, just like I can't imagine any kid wanting to wear 66.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived