Philly-delphia Eagles Concept

andrewharrington

growing up a Cowboys fan, i would hate to see the Eagles adopt this number font for themselves. perhaps an Eagles fan can chime in on what he thinks

When I actually think about it, yeah - that font is clearly associated more with the cowboys. However, seeing it in this concept in green and silver, I didn't instantly think of the cowboys. It's not "unique" enough IMO to really make it off limits, and as long as whichever team uses it isn't wearing royal or navy, I think it's fine. I certainly understand the concerns that it's "owned" by Dallas, but I think that it's not that unique, there's a historical reason for them to wear it, and I just really don't think that it's that big of a deal in this case.

It would be cool though if some slight mods were made, just to separate it a little bit - specifically, maybe go with a slanted 2 instead of the straight-bar 2, since when I think of Dallas in that font, I think of numbers that have 2s in them, so if the Eagles 2 was to be different, I think that would go a long way toward erasing any thoughts of the Cowboys.

My thoughts entirely. Speaking for myself that's what I love about the uni's the 49ers introduced this time last year, I know some folk hate them grey face cage, funny stripes, dead plain etc etc, but here's what I like about them; to the "genuinely" casual fan they look like the 80's uni's but if you take the time to look more closely you'll see the numbers font while similar is in fact a custom cut, as is the font for the names on the back, the stripes round the sleeves adjusted to cope with modern jersey tailoring.

While the immediate appearance is one of a faithful throw back uni, things have actually been done to it. It's not just an amalgamation of different bits of classic uni's, faithfully copied and arranged together. And I think that's what's lacking with this Eagles concept, there is nothing new about it and no real attempt made to do anything other than lift classic elements and pool them together, and not enough consideration made to history while doing it.

If like the 9ers shirts the font had been modified so that to the casual observer it appeared almost as it is now but the more "professional" uni critic out there it was clearly something new but with a nod to the old I think this set could be an ENORMOUS success, but right now it's so simple and references historical aspects (which I feel the Eagles no longer have the biggest emotional ownership of) to faithfully and as a result I think it's left the whole thing feeling a little stale, and bereft of an immediate connection to the Eagles. What was needed was a re-imagining of a classic Eagles, this feels to much like a reproduction.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

For what it's worth, when the initial incarnation of the current uniform was unveiled in '96, I read in an article that the serif in the "2" in their new numeral font was an homage to the past days when they had fully serifed numbers. Or, maybe they just thought it looked good, and wanted some back story to justify it. Either way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now I'm expecting to be completely dismissed here, but it's clear the aim here isn't to actually better the concept or change it at all.

I'm not going to lie. You're exactly right. It never was my intention to better the concept or change it at all (notice I don't usually ask for comments and critique, but if that's what I'm looking for, I try to remember to specifically solicit that sort of response). The few concepts I post these days generally go out there for people to see, look at, enjoy, hate, gain inspiration from, use as a springboard for more Eagles visuals and what have you, but I got sucked into defense mode when the juice started flowing, which is unfortunate because I dislike doing that. Believe me, if I honestly hadn't thought to take a look at the suggestions that are being thrown out here on the forum, I'd be doing myself the disservice. I try absolutely everything that comes to mind as something that might work for a given concept, and most of them stretch over weeks, rather than hours or days, which is why I was quick to step in and defend.

In regard to specific suggestions, I use white very sparingly. I love the rich, unique look of colored numbers on a colored jersey. To me, that's a unique aesthetic (the product of a bygone era) and one that's very rooted in the history of the game, which makes it a perfect springboard for my hypothetical work such as this. This influence comes from my love of early 20th century football uniforms, when outlines were very rarely seen on uniform numbers and colorful numerals and stripe designs were very prominent. To me, this era was simple and bold, but hardly boring. However, this era probably looks as wacky and absurd to you as today's over-designed visual landscape does to me. It's all about what makes sense and what's important to the viewer (it ends up being more like a philosophy than an opinion, when you really think about it).

I also like to keep a small set of good jersey numerals instead of trying to give every single team their own custom set, which in my opinion, leads to a lot of forced design themes and sometimes difficult-to-read numerals. The serifed numerals, which are indeed custom, by the way (I didn't mention this off the get-go because I didn't anticipate it being an immense discussion point) are one of about seven that I use (the '2' in this numeral set is angled as well, right in BBTV's wheelhouse).

So again, my apologies. You know I love to dish out probably the most honest criticism in the neighborhood. You guys also know me and you know my work, as well as how much better it's gotten over the past five years, mostly as a direct result of the critique doled out by the members of this forum, but there's also a benefit for everyone else when I play devil's advocate with the comments that I receive, because it brigs to light a different perspective on a given issue, which is extremely important in forming a balanced opinion on whatever it is that's being discussed. It's certainly not intended to 'shoot down' the criticism. That's not now and never has been what I'm about as a designer.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I LOVE this concept. I would love to see them in action with the black cleats. One addition I think that could be made would be the word "EAGLES" under the collar, like they actually do now. You could use that old eagles font displayed here http://cassassin.com/iphone/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/eagles_glass_throwback.jpg but obviously smaller and more compact, and most likely silver to follow along with your concept.

Would like to see the concept with #32 instead of #34. I've always thought that 3s and 2s really defined a font, because there are so many different ways to form each of them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would like to see the concept with #32 instead of #34. I've always thought that 3s and 2s really defined a font, because there are so many different ways to form each of them.

The 4 is often times more unique than the 3, depends on the style, but you're right that the 2 is usually the best. I'm thinking of changing my sample number to 24. I think that was a good choice by the FUPP, though it's a shame the attention to detail was lacking so much on that site.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The 4 is often times more unique than the 3, depends on the style, but you're right that the 2 is usually the best. I'm thinking of changing my sample number to 24. I think that was a good choice by the FUPP, though it's a shame the attention to detail was lacking so much on that site.

But with 3, you have "rounded" top, or slanted top (like the Broncos 3). With 4, they're pretty much all closed on the top (and IMO any 4 that isn't closed isn't fit for use on a sports jersey) so it's really a matter of serif, angle, and that thing that sticks out on the right side (the thing that's missing from the Phillies 4s for some reason.) Certainly an interesting number, but I'll stick to 3. 7 is a good one too.

andrew, just for the record this is what i meant by using the modern wing. you keep the old school look but with a wing that is drawn better and fits on the helmet better as well

w7ilfl.png

Funny - I really don't like the wings on their current helmet - too cartoony, and too round. I think that with an outline, I prefer the '80s wings, however, those look fantastic - so sans outline, I'd certainly choose those wings (though NOT with this concept, as the roundness of the wings should be complemented by round numbers, and the slanty wings in this concept work better with the rest of the set.)

That silver helmet on the right is pure sex. I've long posted that the Eagles would look fantastic with silver helmet and pants. That helmet would instantly become one of the tops in the league.

andrew, just for the record this is what i meant by using the modern wing. you keep the old school look but with a wing that is drawn better and fits on the helmet better as well

w7ilfl.png

That's what I was thinking you meant. Honestly, those look great. That wing looks just as good on there, though I don't think it looks 'better.' Admittedly, I had trouble rendering the helmet to look good. My intention was to bring the original wing down so that it terminates underneath the front bumper on the helmet like the current one does. There's something I really like about the angularity of the original. It's more aggressive or something to me. It's not as streamlined as the current, but I don't think that the current is 'better-drawn' as a result. The original is simply a different, more realistic silhouette. I love the little scallops down toward the bottom edge, too. Those should be incorporated into the modern silhouette if you ask me.

2132.jpg

But with 3, you have "rounded" top, or slanted top (like the Broncos 3). With 4, they're pretty much all closed on the top (and IMO any 4 that isn't closed isn't fit for use on a sports jersey) so it's really a matter of serif, angle, and that thing that sticks out on the right side (the thing that's missing from the Phillies 4s for some reason.) Certainly an interesting number, but I'll stick to 3. 7 is a good one too.

Come to think of it, there is a lot of variation in the 1 as well.

The problem with 32 is that you can't really tell if your numerals are sans serif. Because a regular block 32 can be paired with serif or sans serif 1, 4 and 7.

Then just show the entire number set with the concept, or at least use different numbers for the home and road. 24 and 37? You are certainly correct about the variation in 1s - there's straight-line 1s like the bears, 1s that have the top thing but no serif on the bottom, regular serifed block 1s, block 1s that have a concave top thing (early-80s Sixers for example), and then all of the custom ones like the Eagles current (one of my least-favorite 1s currently in use.)

Archived