UFL

landmasta

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home jersey is clean and very nice, and the gray helmet with blue facemask looks good. But that monochrome gray road look ain't pretty.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm absolutely in LOVE with the VA Destroyers uniforms. The grey road I can live with because there is somewhat of a concept behind why they chose that particular shade. But, regardless I think they're slick. Gotta love the home jersey. I'm buying one of those as soon as they go on sale.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Doesn't it seem kind of incongruous to have such a unique typeface for the Destroyers word mark, yet such a bland one for the numbers?

Otherwise, these are pretty nice.

I think the Number font is same or similar to what are on US Navy ships...

Not a great example but you see the reference..

navy1.jpg

Doesn't it seem kind of incongruous to have such a unique typeface for the Destroyers word mark, yet such a bland one for the numbers?

Otherwise, these are pretty nice.

It's not just a bland typeface though. It mimics the numbers that are on the hulls of US Naval ships, like this:

hullnumbers.jpg

EDIT: Dangit, PSUdraw beat me to it.

These are easily the best uniforms in the UFL. They took the Tuskers' general template, and paired it with an appropriate numeral typeface.

spacer.png

What I find incongruous is that a franchise based in the region that is home to the United States Navy's largest naval station (indeed, the world's largest), named after a type of naval warship and sporting a team palette that contains two shades of Blue, chose to feature Cardinal Red as the primary color for one of its jerseys. It makes no sense to me. When one thinks of naval/aquatic themed teams, the norm is to think of the dominant color(s) in their palettes being (a) shade(s) of Blue.

Frankly, for that reason, I consider the uniform set a missed opportunity.

I'm just waiting for the explanation that details how the Destroyers' Cardinal jerseys are meant to pay homage to the Commonwealth of Virginia's state bird.

I personally love the Cardinal Red. Though, I would have rather seen the Steel Blue used instead I still like the red. It reminds me of the Chicago Blitz and the fictional Washington Sentinels. I'm so excited for this season. I expect myself and many people in the Hampton Roads area to head out to these games. There's alot of buzz right now.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

What I find incongruous is that a franchise based in the region that is home to the United States Navy's largest naval station (indeed, the world's largest), named after a type of naval warship and sporting a team palette that contains two shades of Blue, chose to feature Cardinal Red as the primary color for one of its jerseys. It makes no sense to me. When one thinks of naval/aquatic themed teams, the norm is to think of the dominant color(s) in their palettes being (a) shade(s) of Blue.

Frankly, for that reason, I consider the uniform set a missed opportunity.

I'm just waiting for the explanation that details how the Destroyers' Cardinal jerseys are meant to pay homage to the Commonwealth of Virginia's state bird.

My guess is that they went with cardinal as the primary to try and ingratiate themselves with Redskins fans. Since they went with silver helmets and pants, navy jerseys may not have gone over very well. They could have easily used the powder blue instead, but maybe we'll see alts someday.

spacer.png

Apparently, Schottenheimer wants to wear gray at home, so the cardinal jersey ,might not see much action. I really hope the helmet is matte grey, because it's going to look awful if it's silver. that's too bad, as I love that color,but the battleship grey and navy number font is very inspired, almost Nike-ish.

However, there is a big problem. White numrals on gray? didn't they learn anything from the locos proposed opening season jersey?

LocosMain_t650.jpg?5711a3b57decb389a12ba40e20471e031ff69545

Those got scrapped, so my guess is the numerals will change to cardinal.

EDIT: The away has a lot of ideas from Gfonk's concept.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

None of the UFL teams have a 2nd set of pants. I guess this saves money.

I agree with the concern about the white numbers on grey jerseys, though I suspect that is why they have 2 tones of grey on the jerseys, with the numbers on the "bib" of darker grey.

I just wonder if a grey helmet, grey jerseys, grey pants is really a good idea.

I also am not a big fan of the really wide/thick shoulder stripes and the "tusker" stripe on the pants. It made sense when they were the Tuskers, but that shape does not say "destroyer" to me.

I give it a solid B. Not great, not horrid, just ok.

Apparently, Schottenheimer wants to wear gray at home, so the cardinal jersey ,might not see much action. I really hope the helmet is matte grey, because it's going to look awful if it's silver. that's too bad, as I love that color,but the battleship grey and navy number font is very inspired, almost Nike-ish.

However, there is a big problem. White numrals on gray? didn't they learn anything from the locos proposed opening season jersey?

LocosMain_t650.jpg?5711a3b57decb389a12ba40e20471e031ff69545

Those got scrapped, so my guess is the numerals will change to cardinal.

EDIT: The away has a lot of ideas from Gfonk's concept.

Well there seems to be a better contrast between the gray and the numbers on the Destroyers unis. That and it again mimics the hull of a Navy destroyer where they're white on gray.

No, they haven't. I think they figured out last year that releasing a PDF is not necessarily a good strategy. Basically now we get a couple of pictures from the event and a mediocre file of the two jerseys.

• 2 months later...

** bump **

The Virginia Destroyers broke out their road uniforms last week.

I really like the dark shade of gray they use for the helmets. If the league survives and the team decides to change up the uniforms, I think they should consider making the darker gray their primary color. Navy blue and cardinal could remain as accent colors.

I don't like that they altered the colors on the helmet decals, but maybe they had to given the dark shade of gray the used for the helmet. I believe at one point they were going to go with white helmets instead. Also, their helmet decals just seem small. Like they accidentally ordered decals intended for youth football helmets.

297978_10150286172195780_70863495779_8118872_1889091881_n.jpg

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived