UFL

landmasta

Has anyone noticed the difference between what Ben 5 posted and what Brian in Boston posted? I tried to merge the two but it's not letting me.

If you compare the Eagles head, below the Eagles head, and the football of the two posts there seem to be some adjustments to the logos. I just wonder which one they will use.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone noticed the difference between what Ben 5 posted and what Brian in Boston posted? I tried to merge the two but it's not letting me.

If you compare the Eagles head, below the Eagles head, and the football of the two posts there seem to be some adjustments to the logos. I just wonder which one they will use.

In the official logo spec sheet download on the UFL site, the "Eagle-H" element appears as it does in the image I posted.

At first, I didn't really like this too much, and I still don't really like the primary. But the secondary logos together are really nice IMO. So is the helmet stripe. Nice work Hartford, my new favorite UFL team.

-I would like to add that the color combo is complete perfection.

6fQjS3M.png

Colonials%20Logo-Word%20Mark.jpg

My thoughts...

* While I like the "Eagle-H" portion of the logo, the overall primary mark is far - FAR - too busy. The Art-Deco elements fanning-out from behind the "Eagle-H" and C-shaped device are wholly unnecessary and do nothing besides clutter the overall design.

* The wordmark font is too busy for my liking, as well. It has a 19th-Century "Americana" and/or "Old West" feel to it, rather than something I would associate with Connecticut's colonial period.

* I'm also not a fan of the city name being split in two - HART and FORD - by the "Eagle-H" element.

* Even with the Blue outlines and C-shaped device, this logo is going to get lost on a Metallic Gold helmet, which is what the team is set to use.

* Even when broken-out from the rest of the primary mark, the "Eagle-H and C-Device" have more of the feel of a league logo or special event mark, than a team logo.

I find it hard to disagree with anything you say here. I totally agree. I will say that the alternate or secondary helmet logo (as they call it) without the Art-Deco elements actually looks really good to me. It makes me wonder why in the hell they didn't go with that. I'll also add that I wish they'd gone with a navy or light blue helmet just to be a little different. Looks a bit too UCLA-ish for me. That being said I'm still in love with this color combo no matter who is using it. Very sexy!!! :)

The core image in the Colonials' primary logo - what I call the "Eagle-H" backed by the "C" - strikes me as being inspired. I might have rendered the "Eagle-H" a bit wider, by broadening the eagle, football, etc. In this way, the "H" shape would stand-out a bit more and not be so vertical. Similarly, I would have made the "C" a bit thicker. I also would have toned-down the use of gradients throughout the mark. That said, those are quibbles and easily addressed. The core element of the primary mark is solid.

Where I have a problem with the Colonials' primary mark is in those elements that aren't adequately integrated into the overall design. For instance, the Art Deco-esque pattern fanning-out behind the "Eagle-H" and "C" is a superfluous element at best, a distracting source of visual busyness at worst. It adds nothing aesthetically to the overall design.

Further, the wordmark isn't well-integrated, either. It seems as if the designers simply chose a font, rendered the team name in said font, then slapped the resulting wordmark across the front of the logo. The result is that the wordmark comes across as an afterthought. This disjointedness is compounded by the fact that the font chosen doesn't seem to have any true tie to a "Colonial" theme, particularly when one thinks of Connecticut's place as a 17th and 18th-Century Early American colony. The fonst style speaks more to a 19th-Century "Americana", "Old West" or "Big Top" theme.

Bottom line? While the core imagery in the primary mark is strong, there are too many superfluous and non-integrated design elements present in the Colonials' visual brand to consider it a truly outstanding example of first-rate sports logo design.

I'd rate the core element ("Eagle-H" and "C") a solid B to B+, with the overall primary mark earning no better than a low C. The wordmark is an uninspired D. The less said about the Art Deco flourishes, the better.

As this league rolls out new identity packages for its new/relocated teams, the identities of the two original franchises (Las Vegas and Florida) are going to look seriously outdated.

Do either the Locos or Tuskers have wordmarks? The Locos primary in itself is a wordmark, but I don't think any of the founding franchises came with complete logo packages as comprehensive as the one rolled out by the Colonials yesterday. I'd imagine that Sacramento and Omaha will follow suit.

You'd think that without an overhaul at some point the Tuskers and Locos identities (already pretty ridiculous, in my opinion) would suffer by comparison. They already seem silly when placed next to the new Colonials mark on the UFL website.

Colonials%20Logo-Word%20Mark.jpg

Quite a bit of metallic gold gradients going on here; I wonder if any of it will be noticeable on the actual helmet decals (gold helmet notwithstanding).

Not only is the "HART/FORD" split a downer, the wordmark's placement over the primary logo actually takes away from the H/C device to the point where one can miss the H and C. The wordmark is best placed underneath the logo.

Agreed that it is a busy logo, but then again it does have a more dignified feel than the 2009 team logos, with another plus being the breakaway (not unexpected) from the UFL's standard colors.

I how the UFL will continue its theme of helmets with a unique stripe down pattern down the middle, but in this case I don't think it will stand out. There's just too much gold on gold between the logo, the helmet, and the stripe element.

exactly what i thought... now if that was a navy helmet then i think we would be in buisness... a busy business... but business none the less

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

All logos resemble vaginae. The reason I joined this site in the first place was to look at vaginae while working, yet not get fired for doing so.

Seriously.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

H-Eagle on it's own

Colonials type treatment on it's own

Colour scheme

DON'T LIKE

All elements together competing with one another.

I mean, 1) H, 2) Eagle, 3)Colonials, 4)Hart------Ford, 5)C in background, 6)Art Deco elements, 7)Superfluous gradients

In ONE logo? Yikes.

All logos resemble vaginae. The reason I joined this site in the first place was to look at vaginae while working, yet not get fired for doing so.

Seriously.

Ha, I knew it!

Did anyone else think of a woman's lower extremities when briefly gazing at Hartford's logo?

obviously you've never seen lady parts.

Nope, never have in my 26 years of existence! Haven't even bothered to use the innernets to find out either. :P

spam

I must confess, I've never seen a spambot as persistent as this one.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived