UFL

landmasta

I caught a glimpse of a would-be secondary logo in their season ticket brochure, it's pretty good too. I'm proud to be a Nighthawks fan, now!!

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3638/omahaseasontixbrochure6.jpg

Man that secondary is pretty sweet! Shame it doesn't seem to have survived though, it's certainly not on the media pdf that's up on the UFL site.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else annoyed that the second page of that PDF is a raster image?

:cursing:

Man that sucks! I'd checked the first page and just assumed the second page was also vectors. Pretty sure someone will be able to get their hands on it before the season starts though so no biggie.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

man I wish the UFL would make a logo without gradients! Haha

In their defense I dont think they are actual gradients if you check the PDF's with all the logo details on them any gradients are actually metallic inks and i think they've just added the gradients to make that clear and differentiate silver from from a flat grey or tint of black. I'd be really surprised if they made gradients using metallic inks it would totally defeat the purpose.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

hartford.png

Here's the full Hartford set, I don't believe it's been posted. I like the helmet stripe, though I expected an elongated eagle/H.

Note the two logos on the front are labeled Helmet Option 1 and Helmet Option 2: does this mean they haven't decided yet, or that they will be switching? I assume they haven't decided yet, and in that case I'd go with the simpler of the two.

With the amount of gold in the logo I was hoping for a blue helmet. We'll just have to see how it ends up looking.

Actual photo of the Nighthawk's helmet... looks like the decal may have been angled wrong by whoever placed it on the helmet though.

29506_429194546319_666416319_5571033_376007_n.jpg

Looks good, as others have said matte black may have been more in keeping with the whole "stealth" jet thing but it still looks pretty good.

Small side note though, is that a new face mask style for the speed helmets or have they just stuck an original revo facemask on there? Cos if you check the illustration on the hartford post about two replies up you'll see that the part of the facemask that mounts to the helmet is usually at an angle and not horizontal like it is in that photo.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

The UFL using gradients in print is a bit bothersome, but in the logo packages it is labeled as 'metallic' so on helmets and whatnot it does not appear as a gradient

Example

The UFL is using gradients the way they are as a signature thing, maybe it will work, maybe not. But with the NHL and the NFL using gradients more and more (Stanley Cup Logos, new NFL trophy logos, etc) they may be on to something. Could the representation of metallic by using gradients be the new trend here in the land of logos?

The UFL using gradients in print is a bit bothersome, but in the logo packages it is labeled as 'metallic' so on helmets and whatnot it does not appear as a gradient

Example

The UFL is using gradients the way they are as a signature thing, maybe it will work, maybe not. But with the NHL and the NFL using gradients more and more (Stanley Cup Logos, new NFL trophy logos, etc) they may be on to something. Could the representation of metallic by using gradients be the new trend here in the land of logos?

9erssteve already addressed this, and I think he's correct:

In their defense I dont think they are actual gradients if you check the PDF's with all the logo details on them any gradients are actually metallic inks and i think they've just added the gradients to make that clear and differentiate silver from from a flat grey or tint of black. I'd be really surprised if they made gradients using metallic inks it would totally defeat the purpose.

I have also noticed that in most of these files, that the metallic colors are labeled "TBD". Not sure why, other than they might be potentially using Pantone's new "Premium Metallics" that are due to come out in about a week. These colors are an all-new set of metallics - a "Premium Silver" combined with Pantone Goe inks.

Example

...but to also address your point - I also wonder if you're correct with the representation of metallics. I have looked into representing my color swatches in the same manner, but I think it's going to take a lot of programming on my part to make it happen. I use MS Access and Crystal Reports for my database reporting, and I haven't figured out a way to do that gradient effect.

I'm not giving up though (!)...

Here's a picture of the Colonial's away jersey.. Looks pretty sharp.. Can't wait to see a player suited up.

32223_437983299186_397804169186_5678494_1926650_n.jpg

32223_437983339186_397804169186_5678498_3854439_n.jpg

Also on a sidenote, Sacramento is releasing their logo and colors tomorrow at the Daunte Culpepper press conference at 10am pst.

ps. post 100. yay.

bullssig.png

Man that secondary is pretty sweet! Shame it doesn't seem to have survived though, it's certainly not on the media pdf that's up on the UFL site.

From what I've heard, it is going to be used as a sleeve patch on the team's jerseys.

Hmm, well it's not in the PDF guide with all the other logos on the UFL site. With that said the second page of the PDF is a raster image while all the others have vectors on both pages so perhaps the PDF they have up there right now isn't the final, final one as it were.

You know what designers are like, there's the "final" version of something, then there's "final2", "final3", "final final", and then finally there's "final to print", perhaps we just haven't got to that stage yet! ;) I'll keep my eye out though cos if that secondary is used it's a beauty and I want a copy for my files.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I assume the Locos will be changing uniform designs in relation to the color shift. But has anybody hear anything about the Tuskers? I can't imagine they would stay with last year's league-wide template jersey design.

32223_437983299186_397804169186_5678494_1926650_n.jpg

32223_437983339186_397804169186_5678498_3854439_n.jpg

It looks fairly nice. It's modern(ish) enough for the UFL, yet still remains classy. That zero's a bit funky though, and I hope there's actually some light blue on the home. Let's hope they don't screw up the pants either.

spacer.png

Archived