An Alternate Universe's MLB

robbman21

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should make a Mr. Jay logo also (a running cartoon blue jay) like Mr. met

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I love the 'Toronto' wordmark, and the cap with the white logo outline. I kinda wonder how the real Jays would look with a similar treatment (and the removal of black; I'm one of their many fans who hates the black).

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

LOL... the cap says "BJ".

My thoughts exactly...lol

I'm pretty sure BringBackTheVet was being sarcastic in his post, mocking idiots who would actually post that, and well, you happened to be the guy who didn't disappoint.

actually, no... I legitimately chuckled when I saw the BJ. Guess I'm an idiot today! It looks great, but I doubt they'd market it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

LOL... the cap says "BJ".

My thoughts exactly...lol

I'm pretty sure BringBackTheVet was being sarcastic in his post, mocking idiots who would actually post that, and well, you happened to be the guy who didn't disappoint.

actually, no... I legitimately chuckled when I saw the BJ. Guess I'm an idiot today! It looks great, but I doubt they'd market it.

BJ haha reminds of this sign.

we_love_BJs.jpg

New York Yankees In the late 1980's, studies were started to see if the New York metropolitan area could sustain a second baseball franchise. The Giants and Jets had co-existed sucessully for over 25 years,and after the Knicks moved from Kansas City the area had two NBA franchises with the Nets playing right across the Hudson. Not since the late 50's, when both the Pirates and Royals left town, had the New York area had two MLB franchises, with the Mets as the long flag-bearer. After much study and debate,in July of 1991 the American League awarded franchises to New York City and Detroit, and in 1993, the New York Yankees - with a unique color scheme of navy,black,and silver began play. The Yankees were competitive in their first season, setting a record for wins for an expansion team. In 1995 they moved into their brand-new ballpark, the all-new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx,and the balls began to fly out of the park at an alarming rate. Led by Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, and Mike Stanley, the Yankees finished 2nd in the AL East, which was good enough for them to win the AL Wild Card and earn their first post-season appearance in only their 3rd season. They would lose in 4 games to eventual World Series champion Cleveland. The success was short-lived however, as the Yankees and their stadium became known as a heaven for batters and a hell for pitchers. The Yankees were frequently among the leaders in all offensive categories, and were almost always at the bottom or dead last in pitching, but opposing pitchers faired no better. Finally after rebuilding through the early part of the decade, the Yankees got hot in 2007 and went 20-8 in the month of September,finishing 1 game back of division winner Tampa Bay and tied for the Wild Card spot with the Angels. In a one game playoff vS the Angels the Yankees overcame an 8-6 deficit in the 13th inning against closer Francisco Rodriguez and advanced back to the ALDS for the first time in 12 years, where they swept their way through the American League Playoffs to win their first pennant, also becoming the first team in the Division Series era to win every game on their way to the World Series. In spite of their late season brilliance they were swept in the World Series by the Chicago Cubs. Injuries took their toll on the Yankees in 2008, but they returned to the playoffs in 2009 to once again face the Oakland Athletics, however this time they would fall 3 games to 1.

The Reality Other than pinstripes and some feared lineups, the Rockies and Yankees have had absolutely zero in common. One is an expansion franchise still under 20 years of age with no championships, and the other is the winningest and most storied franchise in professional sports. In 2002 the Yankees travelled to Coors Field for a very memorable interleague series. The Yankees took 2 of the 3 games, winning the second game 20-10. In the third game they jumped out to an 8-2 lead until the Rockies answered with 8 in the bottom of the 6th to take a 10-8 lead. The game would go to extra innings tied at 11 before Todd Zeile's walkoff 3run homer in the bottom of the 10th. The two have faced off in interleague play 9 times, with the Yankees holding a 5-4 edge. Jason Giambi is a notable player who's played for both teams.

Thoughts Well...not a whole lot I can say about this one other than I hope you guys are not too harsh on it. My "rules" that I set forth said that I could add silver and black to a team's scheme if need-be, but I think this is the first time between NFL and MLB that I've had to add both. I basically just kept the Yankees navy in place of the Rockies purple. I knew back when I started the NFL series that some teams just would NOT translate well to one another either because of some team's blandness or "classic" looks that many believe can't be touched. I knew right away that I wanted to replace the Rocky mountains in the logo with the Statue of Liberty,but wasn't sure how to do it. I first tried to just straight-up insert the Rangers' version but I didn't like it, so I searched around for artwork and different angles of Lady Liberty til I found one I thought worked and so I vectored it to my needs. The odd -looking part behind the ball is actually her arm extending upwards, but because of where she's cropped it kind of looks like just a blob behind her. I am pleased with how the wordmarks translated and if the Yankees ever(they wont)did anything like this I think it'd be more than acceptible, and overall I'm happy with how the unis came out except for the mix of navy and black and the fact that we're so familiar the Yankees iconic identity.

Yankees1.png

Yankees2.png

YankeesBP.png

YankeesLogos.png

2012 UPDATES

Yankees12012.png

Yankees22012.png

98Falcons.png

Whoa.. wow that is mind-boggling for sure.. and impressive jersey and logo work.. wow nice concept to see how the opposite would be the case.. wow inpressive... cant wait to see the rest eh...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

maybe have the point on Lady Liberty's crown (on the left side) poking out from behind the NEW YORK banner?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe it's the fact that you took baseball's most iconic team and made them a 90s expansion team, but that last concept really left an impression. Very well done.

Agreed. I don't think any of us saw that one coming. Very well done.

maybe have the point on Lady Liberty's crown (on the left side) poking out from behind the NEW YORK banner?

I had it done that way originally and really liked it...thought it really set the logo off and was going to keep it that way, but then upon further thought I starting wrestling with the idea because the mountains in the Rockies logo don't extend through the other side, they just create a "divot" in the banner, which is what I did with the one point of her crown. It was a tough choice to crop off the tip of the point, but ultimately I had to stay with my own rules that I set down for these concepts.

Also, is anyone reading the team histories as we go? Because creating THAT takes longer than making the actual concept sometimes.

98Falcons.png

Yeah,

I read the team histories, I really like to "foreshadowing" in them as well. I am really looking forwards to the detroit --> arizona.

Very nice job on the yankees-->rockies logos. They look great.

Detroit's not Arizona...and Arizona is not Detroit ;-)

98Falcons.png

i've got that our Diamondbacks are their Rays and that our Marlins are their Tigers for some reason but unsure who their Diamondbacks are in our reality. Great job on the Rockies/Yankees hybrid. Great excecution

Yeah,

I read the team histories, I really like to "foreshadowing" in them as well. I am really looking forwards to the detroit --> arizona.

Very nice job on the yankees-->rockies logos. They look great.

Detroit's not Arizona...and Arizona is not Detroit ;-)

I misspoke. I meant florida. I got the 1993 expansion connection confused with the sharing the same spring training ballpark connection confused. Silly me.

RockiesSig.png

Archived