Superbowl XLVIII

falcons007

I think the one thing overlooked is that 55 million people live within a few hours drive of the Meadowlands. Never before has the Super Bowl been held in such an accessible area for that many people. They could and most likely will have a week long Super Bowl festival. Sure you have the weather, but back to back blizzards happen once every...almost never. The chance that a historic weather event will occur that week are not enough to not have it. My wife and I already talked about going up for the day when it happens. I think if the NY metro area can pull it off I think other cities should be able to bid as well.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for New Jersey and New York. So what if it's cold. People that complain about the weather, grow some balls.

You really don't comprehend the issue here, do you?

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good for New Jersey and New York. So what if it's cold. People that complain about the weather, grow some balls.

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

I was just commenting on how people have been crying and complaining about a cold weather super bowl, not necessarily on this site, but on television, radio an so forth. MOD EDIT

Italy.png

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

I was just commenting on how people have been crying and complaining about a cold weather super bowl, not necessarily on this site, but on television, radio an so forth. MOD EDIT

Listen. He's "looking down on you" because you've failed to grasp a very simple concept here. That concept is that the Super Bowl is more then just a football game. It's more then just a NFL title game. It's a one-two week long vacation, party, and media event with a NFL title game at the end of it.

So sure, a snowy Super Bowl game may be awesome in a nostalgic "the way the game was meant to be played" sense, but snowy weather, or worse a blizzard, even if it didn't hit on game day, would wreck havoc on all the events that are going on in the location in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.

That's what BBTV was getting at... MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

Listen. He's "looking down on you" because you've failed to grasp a very simple concept here. That concept is that the Super Bowl is more then just a football game. It's more then just a NFL title game. It's a one-two week long vacation, party, and media event with a NFL title game at the end of it.

So sure, a snowy Super Bowl game may be awesome in a nostalgic "the way the game was meant to be played" sense, but snowy weather, or worse a blizzard, even if it didn't hit on game day, would wreck havoc on all the events that are going on in the location in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.

MOD EDIT

Italy.png

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

Keep it classy.

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

Well, I was born in Texas but have lived in Louisiana, California, Florida, Georgia, and overseas on Okinawa so you have something of a nomad idiot in the mix too. biggrin.gif

Let me clarify that I don't oppose NY/NJ as a Super Bowl site; I don't really care where they play it. I'm just surprised the NFL would risk fouling up their biggest event. The previous cold-weather games were in domes so the on-the-field issues don't apply, and your use of retroactive justification (weather didn't disrupt travel then so it won't this time either) is risky at best. It doesn't work well in real life. In fact, the subconscious knowledge that "the airplane has never killed me before" is cited by air crash investigators as a factor in why pilots sometimes do things that when viewed objectively (usually following an accident) are, in retrospect, obviously quite foolhardy.

If you think this is generating some discussion, wait until they propose playing a SB at an international venue. And they will.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

On behalf of the moderating team...

Gentlemen, this thread is devoted to debating the merits of the NFL's decision to award Super Bowl XLVIII to the New Meadowlands Stadium and the Greater New York City Metropolitan Area. It is not a forum in which the two of you - or, anyone else for that matter - engages in empty internet posturing that consists largely of snarkily commenting upon one another's shortcomings - intellectual or otherwise.

Understood? Good.

Thanks in advance to all of you who will do your level best to keep this thread on topic.

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

MOD EDIT

Keep it classy.

Hey Ice Cap don't let that guy get to you. Let's just talk Super Bowl 48... MOD EDIT

If you think this is generating some discussion, wait until they propose playing a SB at an international venue. And they will.

Commissioner Goodell has already broached the subject. If memory serves me, London (UK) has been mentioned as a site the NFL suits have considered. Personally, I say, "Go for it!"

I dont think the NFL is going to make a habit of cold weather sites...

Agreed.

... and the only other cold weather city that I think could even make the case for hosting one would be Boston.

Really? I'm from Boston and even I believe that Chicago would make a more compelling case to play host to a cold-weather Super Bowl. It is...

* the third-largest municipality in the country in terms of population;

* the core city of the third-largest metropolitan area in the country;

* a major transportation hub;

* home to a plethora of cultural/entertainment diversions;

* home to a legacy NFL franchise.

A Chicago Super Bowl would be a horrible idea. The Soldier Field renovations resulted in the smallest stadium in the NFL, did zero to address one of the stadiums biggest shortcomings-the craptacular, player-injuring, field, and it also took one of the NFL's more aesthetically pleasing stadia, and turned it into a futuristic eyesore/UFO crash site.

As for Chicago itself, while most of the logistical and entertainment options are there, the governmental support funding that would certainly be requested and required to prepare for the event is not; Chicago is not financially healthy, and more importantly the State of Illinois is in financial arrears to pretty much every single one of its commitments by a grievous margin, to the point that basic government services are in danger of shutting down. Much like the thankfully ill-fated 2016 Olympics bid, the details and financing are where this thing blows up.

If all this fuss is about weather and travel, why is Indianapolis not given any grief? They are not in the southern region, so it's not like their temperatures are soaring into the 80s during February. It does snow in Indiana.

You missed the discussion earlier in the thread regarding Indy. This will likely be a one shot game, and while the logistics will be better than what we had at Jacksonville, there will probably be a decent amount of negativity about the entertainment options.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That concept is that the Super Bowl is more then just a football game. It's more then just a NFL title game. It's a one-two week long vacation, party, and media event with a NFL title game at the end of it.

NYC and the Metropolitan area seem to put on plenty of big events, week-long events, in winter without any hitches. This will be the same. So much indoor space, covention centers, arenas, theaters, clubs to have the NFL Experience, parties, concerts, meetings, media, etc. Not to mention the extensive public transportation, not just in NYC, but with the PATH and NJ Transit, is second to none. It's ridiculous to think NY/NJ couldn't pull this off, bad weather or not.

The concerns for the events surrounding the Super Bowl event are ludicrous.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I just want to see where they award Super Bowl 50. You would think Los Angeles but until I see a new stadium there, it's all up in the air.

Any new stadia being built in the next couple of years? It'll likely be in one of those. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

For the record if the Dolphins are in the Super Bowl I will be happy even if its played at the North Pole.

At this point the North Pole getting a Super Bowl is more likely. :D

Actually, the SOUTH Pole would be more likely to host the Super Bowl...

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived