The Transit Map Thread

Waffles

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new MTA map sucks. This graphic from the Times, which is supposed to show how much better the new maps are, illustrates the point (1998 map on the left, 2010 on the right).

newChanges.png

Look at the images on the left. The MTA has muted the color scheme, making the whole graphic muddier. The olive parks and darker tan background run together - there's not enough contrast.

In the center, we see the gray drop-shadows. And, like most drop-shadows, they make the graphic harder to read. This is especially true when you have more than one line running together - ay the top of that graphic, we've gone from three lines indicating subway routes to five. I didn't think the official MTA map could get much more cluttered, but there you have it.

Here's a really, really good article by the guy who designed the NYC KickMap, which was discussed earlier in this thread. I was really engrossed in this one and he tells a lot about what goes into a subway map.

KickMap is, hands down, the best NYC subway map out there. I use my iPhone app constantly.

Look at how much easier it is to read:

7_wholemap_comparison.jpg

The MTA should just buy his design.

I quite like the simplicity of Hong Kong's subway map. Of course there's no simplicity (for me) in some of the station names, but the layout is intuitive and easy to memorize. They also have an 'Octopus' card which is like a metrocard, but it uses RFID, and you can buy all sorts of stuff in the subway from drinks to newspapers to the subway ride itself. You can also use your cell phone in the tunnels, which is handy if you are running late (but also annoying to hear everyone else).

hong-kong.gif

Cheers to the MTR!

Here's the new map:

mtr_routemap.jpg

EDIT: By the way, for you fans of subway maps, consider picking up a Tyvek Mighty Wallet. They come in L and NYC subway maps (now outdated) among others. I have an L one that I've been using for the past 6 months and it's still going strong.

1.jpg

1.jpg

Dynomighty Design Mighty Wallets

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• 3 months later...

On December 6, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) will open its expanded Green Line. DART is also introducing an "Orange Line," which, for now, just augments the most highly-used portions of the Red and Green lines on weekdays. Eventually, there will actually be a new section of the Orange Line, which will directly serve DFW Airport. With DART's severe money shortage, however, that probably is 10 or more years down the road, if they get it built at all. Here's their new map.

dartrailmapdec2010large.gif

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

The MTA should just buy his design.

So you want the brass of New York to admit that they were wrong when they rejected KickMap in favor of updating the old map? Me too, but that'll never happen. The drop shadows on that map are terrible, but I don't mind the olive colored parks. They contrast much better with the water. They could be a little darker, or the standard tan a little lighter, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 years later...

My city (Thunder Bay) unfortunately is too small for a subway or even light rail, but subway and light rail cars are built here http://www.thunderbay.ca/Doing_Business/Thunder_Bay_Economic_Drivers/Bombardier_Transportation__An_Economic_Driver_for_Our_City.htm

Long before my time Thunder Bay (then Fort William & Port Arthur) did have street cars http://hotrodsandjalopies.blogspot.ca/2010/09/fort-william-and-port-arthur-streetcars.html

Back to the subway map topic.

Found an interesting site that shows the design of the Moscow Metro map.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/metro/map/

They even designed a fictional map for the year 2100

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

As a designer I can't even imagine how time-consuming and tedious it would be to have to design these maps. I've done some maps on a smaller scale for clients and it was not fun. Have to give these designers a lot of credit.

What still bugs me is how :censored:ty Canada's biggest city's subway is.

Yes, there is a small expansion (north) coming but this subway system is not nearly large enough for Toronto.

ttc_subway_route_map_zpsaff260ab.gif

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Here is Sydney's current rail map (including light rail from Central to Lilyfield, and also intercity and regional trains and buses);

cityrail_network_zps19ffb3f5.jpg

And this website has a good history of the changes that have occured throughout the last 30+ years http://nswrail.webs.com/maps.htm

Also, as Sydney is not just serviced by rail, this is a rail and ferry map:

sydney.png

And unfortunately there are too many maps for the bus services to be put on here. There would be approximately 1000 different routes (both public and private) servicing the Sydney metropolitan region (The areas bordered by Emu Plains, Richmond, Hornsby, Cronulla, Waterfall and Macarthur, and the areas that surround them).

810_US_HSR_Phasing_Map.gif

Never gonna happen.

Sadly, I fear you are correct.

I believe Amtrak proposed running a line from Boston to DC. The estimated cost was over $150 billion.

The regular train service between the two is profitable. I believe a high-speed Acela line between the two would be as well, it's just a hefty introductory price tag to get there.

Passenger rail outside the northeast corridor is a lost cause. There's no practical reason to take a train beyond what can be considered your geographic region. Who the hell is taking Amtrak from Columbus to Denver? Best to put that money into commuter rail or rapid transit in the cities where those have a hope.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived