The Transit Map Thread

Waffles

Here is Sydney's current rail map (including light rail from Central to Lilyfield, and also intercity and regional trains and buses);

cityrail_network_zps19ffb3f5.jpg

And this website has a good history of the changes that have occured throughout the last 30+ years http://nswrail.webs.com/maps.htm

Also, as Sydney is not just serviced by rail, this is a rail and ferry map:

sydney.png

And unfortunately there are too many maps for the bus services to be put on here. There would be approximately 1000 different routes (both public and private) servicing the Sydney metropolitan region (The areas bordered by Emu Plains, Richmond, Hornsby, Cronulla, Waterfall and Macarthur, and the areas that surround them).

The map doesn't express the scale of the system. Dungog to Goulburn is 400 km (250 mi) and Sydney to Bathurst is 200 km (125 mi) although the major system is really only the coloured lines in the centre of the map.

sig.png

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really wish Jacksonville could figure out a more effective way to provide public transportation. All we have is busses and our completely useless skyway tram thing that goes nowhere.

Jacksonville has too much space and too few people to support any rapid transit system.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

810_US_HSR_Phasing_Map.gif

Never gonna happen.

Sadly, I fear you are correct.

I believe Amtrak proposed running a line from Boston to DC. The estimated cost was over $150 billion.

The regular train service between the two is profitable. I believe a high-speed Acela line between the two would be as well, it's just a hefty introductory price tag to get there.

And it's not like some of that isn't coming to bear fruit. The Texas Triangle HSR project seems to be gaining speed if you'll pardon the pun. I do feel that in my lifetime, the United States will have high speed rail to complement the Interstate system.

I really wish Jacksonville could figure out a more effective way to provide public transportation. All we have is busses and our completely useless skyway tram thing that goes nowhere.

Jacksonville has too much space and too few people to support any rapid transit system.

I know, but I can still wish. Even our bus system is lackluster in most cases.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

If Jacksonville had any chance, it would probably be to build their system like Salt Lake's

trax_zpsbb6c1d3e.jpg

It's a long, skeletal system supported by buses, BRT, and soon-to-be trolleys. Not surprisingly, the long routes that connect people's beds to their office chairs tend to be the most popular. Though younger folks like myself don't mind making a transfer here or there to get wherever we want to go.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

This is Metra's official map.

906081354_75250722c694dde62eb7b54057e8be52.jpg

It's pretty much a mess. Stop nomenclature is inconsistent: sometimes the crumbling ruins it calls city stops are named for streets, sometimes neighborhoods, sometimes god knows what (Healy, a "Bryn Mawr" about 15 miles from Bryn Mawr Avenue). Two stops are called "Lake Forest," you can't get to one from the other. It's not drawn to scale, yet it still has all sorts of extraneous dog legs and such. Also, it omits the South Shore Line part of the network, because that's managed by Indiana and is sort of the mutant stepchild of the system (in other ways, so is the Metra Electric), even though you might as well have it in there. The line names are either confusing to most people (the Milwaukee District West that does not go to Milwaukee inasmuch as Milwaukee is not west), redundant (the Milwaukee District North and Union Pacific North, which is the one that does go into Wisconsin), or meaningless (Heritage Corridor, BNSF).

Relative to the L slowing to a crawl or stop in Old Town or Amtrak parking in a cornfield for half an hour to let a freight train pass, Metra is terrific at getting its trains in on time. Their branding, however, is a complete mess.

I've always thought the L was kind of weird in terms of their nomenclature. Different stops on different lines have the same name, which confused me to no end the last time I visited.

Stops are usually just named for the streets they're on. There are three Addison stops, god knows how many Western stops. Every stop has the coordinates posted, so as long as you know you need to be at Addison 3600N/940W and not Addison 3600N/3600W, you should be fine I guess?

The L could do with better wayfinding signage in general, though. Nothing matches.

The MBTA map has become so hard to read ever since they added the Silver Line (which is still not rapid transit as far as I'm concerned) and some of the bus routes. I prefer the classic look...

346212030_ef336caa62_o.jpg

How has the Silver Line made it any harder to read? It's basically just connected to South Station and that's it. It's honestly quite easy to ignore.

mbta-map.gif

The new map is also much more geographically correct. That old map makes it seem like Harvard Station is half the city away from Lechmere. In reality, it's right down the street. Maybe 2 miles or so.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I always loved the "graveyard for passengers killed by closing doors" at the end of Washington's Huntington station.

Truth be told, nobody has ever been killed by the doors in the DC Metro, but they won't open automatically if they close on something (or someone!) without the operator opening them him or herself. Sometimes tourists get a nasty surprise when they try to hold the doors open, thinking they act like elevator doors.

The skyscraper page site has a section called 'Maps of your city's historic trolley lines'

http://forum.skyscra...ad.php?t=203397

My city Thunder Bay (before 1970 it was the cities of Fort William & Port Arthur) is post #36 on page 2

The Hotrods and Jalopies site has some pics of the historic streetcars from my city: http://hotrodsandjal...streetcars.html

From the Gateway to Northwestern Ontario History site:

Description: A closeup photo of one of the first electric streetcars showing the open sides, roof, and the wooden benches. Most photographs show enclosed cars., Electric street cars first began running in Port Arthur on March 7, 1892. There was a sense of great achievement and pride in establishing Canada's first municipally owned railway. An excellent account can be found in the 1990 'Papers and Records' booklet published by the Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society.

Date of Original: circa 1903

OTB056165f.jpg

A subway style map of Thunder Bay's current bus routes by the same contributor (Vid / fais ce que tu pe) of the street car map on the Skyscraper page:

http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/34114294413/thunder-bay-unofficial

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Eugene, Oregon has a great public transportation system:

scribble.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 4 months later...

The MBTA map has become so hard to read ever since they added the Silver Line (which is still not rapid transit as far as I'm concerned) and some of the bus routes. I prefer the classic look...

346212030_ef336caa62_o.jpg

How has the Silver Line made it any harder to read? It's basically just connected to South Station and that's it. It's honestly quite easy to ignore.

mbta-map.gif

The new map is also much more geographically correct. That old map makes it seem like Harvard Station is half the city away from Lechmere. In reality, it's right down the street. Maybe 2 miles or so.

Since this thread was bumped anyway... I couldn't agree more Brass. The top map is at least 28 years old considered Davis and Alewife opened in 1985. Of course a smaller system is going to generate a cleaner, easier to read map. Regardless, I think the MBTA's map is really easy to read. Like you said, it's geographically correct which helps and it's a really clean design. Sure, the Green Line section could use some work since most stops (particularly the B & C line) aren't visible. I guess while we're on the subject, the commuter rail doesn't really need to be on the map, but it's not really hurting it.

Los Angeles' Metro Rail service, including the lines that are under construction or still in planning stages. The Orange and Silver Lines are actually express bus services that act as rail lines. The Metrolink commuter rail lines (unrelated to LA Metro) are also noted in this map (i.e. "Antelope Valley Line", "Ventura County Line", etc.)

rail_map_under_construction.gif

That map doesn't nearly enough do the talk of how widespread Calgary is either. Somerset-Bridelwood is a good 35 minute drive from downtown.

C-Train is hella annoying sometimes. Especially after Flames/Stamps games, but it does a good job.

There are talks that there will be a Southeast line extending all the way to the new south hospital, and a north central line that will run up Deerfoot Trail, eventually hooking up with that long discussed high-speed rail between here and Edmonton. Also, discussions of putting a subway line beneath 8th Avenue (South of the Downtown C-Train line), utterly pointless, the entire thing was supposed to be built under ground, congestion Downtown would easily benefit from that.

This is like 15 years in the future.

si-cgy-lrtmap8.jpg

Something like this. Probably more fantasy, but give it another 40 years, could look similar to this.

transit-network-2.jpg

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived