The Transit Map Thread

Waffles

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inspired by this thread and my disdain for the CTA's patchwork branding, I want to make a big concept for rebranding the L, but this is pretty tough stuff, more so than doing sports uniforms. I wanted to do something where every station has a logo of its own instead of just having the first letter of the name (I saw Toronto tried to do this with the TTC once), but that idea really craps out after you get through with sports teams, airports, Chinatown, and Navy Pier. What sort of icon do you come up with for some boring south side stop?

I also really want to use Neutraface Slab as the official font of the system, because there's something very Chicagoan about Neutraface (like we discussed in the Neutraface thread, gotta be the Mies influence) but I worry about legibility. I just know I hate Helvetica; leave that to New York.

Milwaukee

Milwaukee%20Metro%20Map.png

Loving everything about this honestly. To think what a great city this could be if (a.) the suburbanites could get the fugg over their knee-jerk prejudices of the poor/minorities, and (b.) Milwaukee's own baby boomer establishment could accept that this is the 21st century and stop trying to drag the younger generations kicking and screaming back to 1957.

Light rail/rapid transit all the way out to Menomonee Falls seems excessive.

Most of the workers at the Kohl's call center in the Falls come from North Milwaukee, and currently have to get off at the last bus stop at 124th St, then walk a mile to work (see above, re: suburbanites).

Well that's just plain unfair, isn't it. See, I was not aware of this!

I have the Ernie Von Schledorn jingle stuck in my head now. God damn it. That stupid Nazi.

EDIT for the uninitiated: yeah, the aforementioned town has a Volkswagen dealership owned by a Nazi. Only In The Goddamned Waukesha County.

Re: station icons, Seattle has them and they're kinda dumb:

Light_rail_directions_4.jpg

Sea-Tac Airport's icon is a scroll because why not. Also, when the next two phases of light rail construction are complete, we'll have a University Street station, a University of Washington station, and a University District station.

Re: station icons, Seattle has them and they're kinda dumb:

Sea-Tac Airport's icon is a scroll because why not. Also, when the next two phases of light rail construction are complete, we'll have a University Street station, a University of Washington station, and a University District station.

It's actually a flying carpet.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Documents/pdf/projects/link/LinkQrtlyNews_2007-10.pdf

The Dead Sea-Tac Scroll, I guess? I'm starting to reconsider my station icon idea. I just know this:

lawrence-symbol.jpg

is ugly and should be improved upon somehow.

Some of the PATH stations have similar icons:

Christopher Street

170px-Christopher_PATH_plat_jeh.JPG

Grove Street

300px-Grove_Street_PATH_2689706533_12c40

I guess to me it just doesn't communicate anything additional. You already have the name of the station on the little sign and then on the big platform sign. It seems like that space could be used to highlight some point of interest in the area instead. The problem, though, is what do you put for a plain old solid neighborhood, like Irving Park? A flying carpet, maybe?

Atlanta 1

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1537$sx1600$s.

worldclass_mapp.jpg

Atlanta 2

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1013$sx1600$s.

RailGeorgia_Small.png

Atlanta 3

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1281$sx1600$s.

Atl-RailNetz-MyProposal.png

Southeast US

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 3438$sx2291$s.

4_Intercity_Rail_Potential_and_Populatio

Baltimore

Baltimore%2520Subway%2520Extension.png

Archived