The Transit Map Thread

Waffles

Can't wait for some doofus from the Dallas Morning News to write an article about how he had to take the Subway to a doggone Super Bowl. This is going to make the bitching about Jacksonville and Detroit look like nothing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's the original plan for the new Milwaukee streetcar. It looks like the route will now be split in two, thanks to laws passed by our "leadership" in Madison out of political motivation to undermine Milwaukee's development.

mwsc_route-map2-big.gif

And here's the original street car, that was short-sightedly dismantled in the 50s.

mkeg1953.gif

The line as initially planned looks too short to be of any use. What's the timetable for expansion?

I'm not sure they've even thought that far ahead, but I certainly wasn't a fan of the original route and am hoping the re-route makes it more utilitarian. That would really piss off the WOW County ideologues to know their obstructions not only didn't work, but made the street car even better.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the map for Denver's new FasTracks rail system. Currently they have had 6 of these lines completed and running for a few years now (W,C,E,F,D,H). They have begun construction on the majority of the other lines, and plan to be done with it all by 2018. From the northern tip to the southern tip is roughly 55 miles.

8483934135_8b144d1c03_o_zps16b9f591.png

jNTsTyQ.png

The discussion the admiral and I had in the other thread about transit in the Lake Michigan Corridor (or the Chicago-Milwaukee Metroplex... or whatever the hell we're calling it now) reminded me of the proposed KRM rail line that's supposed to extend the Metra from Kenosha to Milwaukee. Kind of sucks that this still isn't a thing thanks to the pettiness of backwoods politicans from upstate.

KRM-Mapweb1206.jpg

Now, I'm not the kind of savant who can schedule an entire railroad in his head, but offhand, I would have some reservations about extending the Union Pacific North that far. As it is, it's already a busy line with a lot of runs with a lot of people and a lot of stops. Evanston has three, Highland Park has three (four if you count the Ravinia Festival), I think Winnetka has two, and then one stop per city and I don't think they miss any (except Pleasant Prairie, which isn't really a city). There are three stops in Chicago before Ogilvie and they're supposed to be adding one at Peterson Avenue eventually. I just don't know how you're going to add service past Kenosha without compromising service to the North Shore, which is kind of the meat and potatoes of Chicago commuter rail: remember that these are like the original railroad suburbs and some of the stations go back to the 1890s (they're quaint), so it's always been a very busy line. For Chicago-bound trains in Wisconsin, would you have to basically run express half the way and just hope no one needs to get off before Chicago? How many people are commuting or would commute from Racine or Milwaukee to Chicago, or vice versa?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My understanding is that the KRM wouldn't be an extension of the Union Pacific North, it'd be a completely separate line. I'm not sure exactly how many people are actually commuting from Milwaukee or Racine to Chicago, but I do know the Hiawatha is the busiest line anywhere in the Amtrak system, and was the basis for the KRM being proposed in the first place. But it wouldn't just be for commuters from SE Wisconsin to Chicago, it'd also serve the commuters in Racine and Kenosha Counties who work in Milwaukee, and it'd help Chicagoland residents get to the airport in Milwaukee.

Here's Ottawa's plans for light rail as it stands. (Most of the north-south line already exists as the O-train.)

1010transpoplan-hr_web.jpgAnd in case you're wondering where the Canadian Tire Centre/Corel Centre is, don't bother. It's not even on the map.

The line I took this summer:

shanghai-subway-map-new.jpg

When I lived there the stub of Line 13 to the Expo site was shut down. I got there a couple months after the Expo closed (but did get to see the re-opened China Pavilion). Spent many days commuting on Lines 2 and 10. Oh the things I saw on the Shanghai Metro (but it does go damn near everywhere.)

Archived