Chicago Blackhawks Logo has to go?

Morgan33

The Devil Rays played in the deep south, the NJ Devils play in New Jersey. It's a world of difference. Not to mention, the NJ Devils at least have a local reasoning behind the name.

There are no devil rays in Florida?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Senators should change their logo because it's offensive towards Roman senators! The could easily wear a more modern pelican or maybe a bullfrog.

Celtics is another one that really has to go! Such a racist logo.

• 1 year later...

Yes the Chicago Blackhawks were named for a U.S. military unit, but the logo is not representing the Black Hawk military unit or tribe. It is Chief Black Hawk of the Sauk Tribe from western Illinois.

I once saw a death mask of Chief Black Hawk at the Chicago Historical Society (museum) and its profile closely matched that of the Chicago Blackhawks logo.

So the logo could very well be based on a portrait of one human of Native American heritage. I would think that would not necessarily be offensive.

While this is NOT the death mask I saw, here is another representation of Chief Black Hawk, the man.

P.S. The Chief's name was two words, the hockey team just one.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

One day, I don't know when, all person based mascots will be gone.

that will be a sad day

Never will happen because, Notre Dame will always be the fighting Irish. I see the Indians retiring chief wahoo soon.

Fighting Irish actually refers to the Irish infantry Brigade aka the Fighting 69th, who fought for the Union Army during the American Civil War. Doesn't have anything to do with drunken Irish patrons fighting it out at the pub.

I think we can all agree that the logo isn't going anywhere now.

It's not going anywhere. Neither is Chief Wahoo or the Redskins. All of this tree hugging gets rather annoying. People need to get over it.

Woah... slow down chief. (Pun intended) Let's review the cases, because they are different from each other:

- The Chicago Blackhawks have a PC-approved name and logo.

- The Washington Redskins have a PC-approved logo, but the name is definitely not PC and probably should be changed.

- The Cleveland Indians' name is borderline at best, but the logo is not PC and also more than likely should be changed.

In the end, it is not a matter of tree huggers and being politically correct. It's a matter of treating people with respect, which the "Redskins" name and Chief Wahoo do not promote.

well I look at it from a different angle

you can argue that it's not racist or assume it's not offensive to anybody but to me but that's not the point - it's just not a good image to reflect current society

case in point...there would NEVER ever ever ever ever be a NEW logo made by a professional sports team that would be the image of a native american man's face/likeness or that of any other minority group

the fact that it would never be created or accepted (if it was new) today speaks volumes as to just how outdated it is

with all the creativity and resources available today I'm sure someone could come up with a logo that is more reflective of current society and also is versatile, impactful and representative of the team

I always wish they would modernize the secondary logo (shoulder patch "C" w crossed tomahawk) and use that as the main logo, or simply design something based off the blackhawk name like an actual BLACK HAWK...someone could make a fierce looking black colored hawk that would probably look pretty awesome w the red & black color scheme

I don't think changing a logo means you're throwing everything about your team away...the blackhawks have a new fan base, a rejuvinated franchise and a young team and I really think all the people who would rather see the sun fall out of the sky than change the logo from the head of a native american are in the minority

First off, I respect your opinion.

That said, I disagree. I was a season ticket holder from 1998-2004 (I moved away), some of the leanest years in franchise history. You know, when a whopping 9,000 people/game actually showed up. Half of the current "rejuvenated fan base" wouldn't know who either of the two guys in my forum name are. Ask most "rejuvenated" Hawks fans who Steve Passmore or Jean-Yves Leroux are and they'd probably give you a blank stare.The Blackhawks logo doesn't need to "reflect modern society", because they were founded in 1926.

I realize that this is stupid, but yes...I do feel some sense of superiority over the new fans (I know, I'm not). I've supported this team through thick and thin...the end of the Wirtz era, the Pulford days, the Mike Smith fiasco. I'll still be there when the team eventually goes back in the tank and the idiots crawl back to Wrigleyville, forgetting all about the Hawks. Mine is the opinion of just one person, maybe the minority, but I really don't care if the Hawks logo offends "new" fans. If you need a new logo to be excited about a team, follow the Canucks, they change often.

No disrespect intended, I'm just passionate about the Hawks.

/soapbox

When I say "tree hugger", I'm basically just saying liberals. I think the movie 'PCU' is a prime example of what happens when people get way too sensitive and PC. Enough already. It seems most of the time, it's liberal suburban whites that get all worked up over Chief Wahoo, Washington Redskins, or any other Native American sports theme. African Americans, Native Americans, Latino decent, Asians, and etc living in America don't seem to give a ****. Just please get over it and move on. The US (and Canada) needs to have thicker skin again.

That is all. Happy Monday!!!

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

When I say "tree hugger", I'm basically just saying liberals. I think the movie 'PCU' is a prime example of what happens when people get way too sensitive and PC. Enough already. It seems most of the time, it's liberal suburban whites that get all worked up over Chief Wahoo, Washington Redskins, or any other Native American sports theme. African Americans, Native Americans, Latino decent, Asians, and etc living in America don't seem to give a ****. Just please get over it and move on. The US (and Canada) needs to have thicker skin again.

This.

Not that. I love that movie, but to say that it depicts anyone that's a little more left of the tea party is flippant at best.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So, you've turned this into a political argument by stereotyping all liberals as tree-huggers.

Wonderful.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived