North American Continental Football Association (NACFA)

GeauxColonels

Thanks to everyone who "voted"...I've tallied up the results. There were 2 instances in which there was a tie. In those cases, I made the choice of my favorite name.

Continental Division

Charlotte Hornets

Halifax Admirals

Hartford Generals

Indianapolis Stars

London Monarchs

Mississauga Warriors

New Jersey Shorebirds

Ottawa Mounties

American Division

Birmingham Miners

Las Vegas Gamblers

Louisville Mustangs

Memphis Blues

Phoenix Hawks

Portland Lumberjacks

San Antonio Steers

Seattle Emeralds

The next phase will be an introduction of the proposed color schemes for each team.

gYH2mW9.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to let people know, this concept is STILL in the works. I've recently had a major problem with my computer after uploading a Microsoft update. :cursing:

Once I get it back up and running, I plan on posting the team colors from comments and suggestions.

gYH2mW9.png

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I've FINALLY got my computer working...for now. I sat down tonight and put together 2 very simple graphics showing the team names with the proposed color scheme for each team. For the most part, I used the city flag from the late 1950s-early 1960s for inspiration. If I couldn't find an old flag, I tried to find something more current.

Please let me know what you all think or if you have any suggestions for changes:

NACFAAmerican.png

NACFAContinental.png

gYH2mW9.png

Louisville Mustangs: I know you're trying to match the colors of the flag, but I'm not sure about powder blue and yellow for Mustangs. Maybe use black, since you didn't for any other team.

Memphis Blues: You probably had this in mind, but I would make blue the primary color.

Indy Stars: I don't know about red and blue. Maybe go for navy and yellow like Indiana's flag.

Other than that I think they all look good. I can't wait to see the unis!

Great work on the colors. Although I would suggest some changes for some of the team's colors:

Charlotte Hornets: Black and Gold

Hartford Generals: Blue and Green

Indianapolis Stars: Crimson, Old Gold, and Black (colors derived from Indiana University and Purdue University: two of the state's largest public universities)

London Monarchs: Purple and Gold (a la Los Angeles Lakers)

Missisauga Warriors: Black and Silver

(Newark) New Jersey Shorebirds: Royal Blue and Orange

Ottawa Mounties: Scarlet, Midnight Blue, and Metallic Gold (similar to the colors of the traditional uniforms worn by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police)

Memphis Blues: Navy Blue and Powder Blue

Portland Lumberjacks: Forest Green, White

Seattle Emeralds: Emerald Green and Silver

YOZXkBG.png?1

Thanks for the input so far. I'm not technically "bringing" anything back. This league is a fictional league set at the time the AFL & NFL merged. Hornets is the nickname that got the most votes from the people on here for Charlotte. My ultimate goal is to set-up this league in the appropriate time period and then move it forward with changes to color-schemes, nicknames and cities.

gYH2mW9.png

• 1 month later...

After way too long of a hiatus in which I got a new computer and started using Inkscape, I'm finally ready to show the league shield for the North American Continental Football Association. As mentioned before, the league is comprisd of American and Canadian teams. C&C is welcome and appreciated.

nacfashield.png

Please keep in mind that my goal here is to establish a league in the late 1960s-early 1970s in response to the NFL/AFL merger. Therefore, none of the logos or uniforms will be overly complex and will encompass limited design elements. In addition to my love for old-school uniforms, I feel that this approach is beneficial to myself as I learn how to use Inkscape and familiarize myself with how vector graphic design works.

Over the long-term, I hope to evolve the league and move it through the 1980s and 1990s to bring the league current. Hopefully, I will be able to effectively accomplish this as my Inkscape skills progress.

gYH2mW9.png

Great work on the colors. Although I would suggest some changes for some of the team's colors:

Charlotte Hornets: Black and Gold

Hartford Generals: Blue and Green

Indianapolis Stars: Crimson, Old Gold, and Black (colors derived from Indiana University and Purdue University: two of the state's largest public universities)

London Monarchs: Purple and Gold (a la Los Angeles Lakers)

Missisauga Warriors: Black and Silver

(Newark) New Jersey Shorebirds: Royal Blue and Orange

Ottawa Mounties: Scarlet, Midnight Blue, and Metallic Gold (similar to the colors of the traditional uniforms worn by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police)

Memphis Blues: Navy Blue and Powder Blue

Portland Lumberjacks: Forest Green, White

Seattle Emeralds: Emerald Green and Silver

Fantastic color ideas. I back this 100%!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I'm so happy Kingfishers weren't picked for Halifax; we don't have Kingfishers here, but for some reason they are on the flag. Also, I don't mind the colors for the Admirals, but no one in Halifax actually knows what the flag looks like. There's only one in the entire city, and most people only know the colors from the Muncipality logo, and the public buses.

On the subject of the league name, I don't know if I'm alone on this but calling the league North American and Continental seems a bit redundant.

20082614530.png

On the subject of the league name, I don't know if I'm alone on this but calling the league North American and Continental seems a bit redundant.

Maybe, but I like the name so I'm sticking with it for now. As I said before, the plan is to have this league evolve and the name is definitely something that could evolve over the years.

Anyone got C&C on the league logo? Maybe a better font to use?

gYH2mW9.png

The Stars look great for an old-school team in an old-school league. I wish their primary logo was a little different, but all I could think of was pushing "Indianapolis" under "Stars", into the star shape and making it White. Then changing "Stars" to Red. Could make it worse though, so I have no ideas. Making retro looking logos can be tough, you're basically dumbing down your skills and your eye for design. You did very well on the helmet logo though. As far as your colors go, I'd like to see less Red/White/Blue teams. I'd make the Memphis Blues 2 or 3 shades of Blue, almost like the Memphis Grizzlies minus the Yellow. The Steers can coexist with the Stars (whoa, Steers, Stars) only if they have Red jerseys. As someone said, Mustangs & Light Blue/Yellow doesn't fit for me. Then again, back then not every team's colors were associated with the name. Some came from companies the owners had a stake in or something their child picked. I would darken the Green of the Lumberjacks, and drop the Light Blue/Gray and change the Yellow to Old Gold. I'd then take that chance to make the Emeralds' Green darker too, and make the Light Blue match better(less bright and jarring). Addressing the lack of Black, which should appear somewhere, I think the Monarchs could use a "royal" color scheme, something like Purple/Black/White, while the Shorebirds could use a toned down scheme like the Spurs' Black/Gray/White. Just my two pennies.

The Stars look great for an old-school team in an old-school league. I wish their primary logo was a little different, but all I could think of was pushing "Indianapolis" under "Stars", into the star shape and making it White. Then changing "Stars" to Red. Could make it worse though, so I have no ideas. Making retro looking logos can be tough, you're basically dumbing down your skills and your eye for design. You did very well on the helmet logo though. As far as your colors go, I'd like to see less Red/White/Blue teams. I'd make the Memphis Blues 2 or 3 shades of Blue, almost like the Memphis Grizzlies minus the Yellow. The Steers can coexist with the Stars (whoa, Steers, Stars) only if they have Red jerseys. As someone said, Mustangs & Light Blue/Yellow doesn't fit for me. Then again, back then not every team's colors were associated with the name. Some came from companies the owners had a stake in or something their child picked. I would darken the Green of the Lumberjacks, and drop the Light Blue/Gray and change the Yellow to Old Gold. I'd then take that chance to make the Emeralds' Green darker too, and make the Light Blue match better(less bright and jarring). Addressing the lack of Black, which should appear somewhere, I think the Monarchs could use a "royal" color scheme, something like Purple/Black/White, while the Shorebirds could use a toned down scheme like the Spurs' Black/Gray/White. Just my two pennies.

Thanks for the feedback. I've definitely thought about addressing team colors as I move along from one concept to the next...and I will probably make a few tweaks here or there. I definitely noticed how many teams have a red/white/blue color scheme which was not my intention. I will probably make changes to some of those teams first.

As far as "dumbing down" my skills, well, they're pretty non-existent to begin with. I really have no background or history in graphic/logo design. I've always just been incredibly interested in sports logos for as long as I can remember. This is my first foray into vector graphics. I'm using Inkscape which is very user friendly. One of the main reasons I wanted to set this league in the time period I did was to compensate for my lack of designs skills/history. Hopefully, as I get more comfortable with Inkscape, I will be able to move this league along in time and update most of the logo/uniform concepts. I anticipate this being a long-term project for me.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

gYH2mW9.png

• 5 weeks later...

Archived