What happened to the Larry logo at midcourt?

Quillz

nba_finals_trophy_court.png

I absolutely hated the 'Larry Logo' at first. But as the years went on, I must admit that it kinda grew on me. And now, it's gone. :upside:

Wow, it's even worse than I remember.

The Celtics logo is floating on gold.

The trophy itself looks disjointed.

The trophy looks ridiculous with portions covered.

The colors clash.

Simply terrible.

sig-1.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just put a little "Larry" on either side of the team's logo, or in the paint if you have to have it at all?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

nba_finals_trophy_court.png

I absolutely hated the 'Larry Logo' at first. But as the years went on, I must admit that it kinda grew on me. And now, it's gone. :upside:

Wow, it's even worse than I remember.

The Celtics logo is floating on gold.

The trophy itself looks disjointed.

The trophy looks ridiculous with portions covered.

The colors clash.

Simply terrible.

So did we already cover the notion that the NBA champ because the Highlander?

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm surprised the NBA hasn't gone to custom courts for the Finals, like they have for the All-Star Game. Seeing some of the other court prototypes around here, I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Somewhat inspired by the NCAA's tournament courts and trying to incorporate elements of what the NBA already does for the Finals, I came up with this:

2632919840057162942S425x425Q85.jpg

And for those who abhor the Larry logo at midcourt, I took a page out of the NFL's book (think shield at midfield for the Super Bowl) on this alternate version:

2400629480057162942S425x425Q85.jpg

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm surprised the NBA hasn't gone to custom courts for the Finals, like they have for the All-Star Game. Seeing some of the other court prototypes around here, I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Somewhat inspired by the NCAA's tournament courts and trying to incorporate elements of what the NBA already does for the Finals, I came up with this:

And for those who abhor the Larry logo at midcourt, I took a page out of the NFL's book (think shield at midfield for the Super Bowl) on this alternate version:

I think that would ruin a lot of the nostalgia when we look back at old NBA Finals highlights - seeing the teams' classic looks and court designs is the sort of thing most posters here really enjoy. A one-off special finals court would ruin that.

I actually think that to a certain extent, slapping the trophy on there took away from the exhibition of the court designs that got the teams to the finals, so to speak.

Also think it's bad to have the trophy on the jerseys and courts of both teams when one of them will lose. I'm glad to see it gone. Now let's see the real trophy make its appearance Tuesday...please...unfortunately it probably won't be until Thursday.

I think that would ruin a lot of the nostalgia when we look back at old NBA Finals highlights - seeing the teams' classic looks and court designs is the sort of thing most posters here really enjoy. A one-off special finals court would ruin that.

I actually think that to a certain extent, slapping the trophy on there took away from the exhibition of the court designs that got the teams to the finals, so to speak.

Also think it's bad to have the trophy on the jerseys and courts of both teams when one of them will lose. I'm glad to see it gone. Now let's see the real trophy make its appearance Tuesday...please...unfortunately it probably won't be until Thursday.

I get what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree. I think a one-off court could add to the big-game atmosphere. Like the NCAAs, you see those black and blue courts, for better or worse, you know you're watching a March Madness game.

This kinda falls in line with the running complaint from people who didn't like the Larry logo being taken off this year. After five years with it, it just doesn't look like the Finals now without it.

If you want to preserve "the exhibition of the court designs" why have any logos (trophy, Finals script, playoff/conference final logos) at all?

I get what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree. I think a one-off court could add to the big-game atmosphere. Like the NCAAs, you see those black and blue courts, for better or worse, you know you're watching a March Madness game.

This kinda falls in line with the running complaint from people who didn't like the Larry logo being taken off this year. After five years with it, it just doesn't look like the Finals now without it.

If you want to preserve "the exhibition of the court designs" why have any logos (trophy, Finals script, playoff/conference final logos) at all?

I'd say for worse on the March Madness game. In past years at least the baselines and some of the usual court were preserved, so you would get some of the flavor of the host stadium. Now they're all just generic court designs.

But at least March Madness is neutral site games, so neutral courts are ok. A one-off court for the NBA finals would really take away from the atmosphere of the teams' home courts. Finals script etc is harmless enough, since they can just be tacked on; just like a patch doesn't really take away from the jersey. The trophy seemed like too much though.

To a certain extent though, I dislike even the patches. I think a big reason is, I used to like to do retro courts / jerseys for NBA Live video games - and I didn't like it if the jerseys/courts used in the playoffs differed from those in the regular season.

Archived