Modifying the crest on a hockey sweater

BBTV

Was digging through some old boxes, and found an old mesh Flyers jersey that I probably got in the late '80s. Unfortunately, the crest on it is the old crappy CCM version that is sewn on with white stitching that doesn't cover the outer edge of it, so there's a slight black outline. This drove me nuts back then, and it still does.

I actually trimmed some of the excess black, but as you can see, there's still some remaining. Is there a way I can either dye this white, or otherwise make it so the edge is white? The second pic shows a close up of exactly what I'm talking about.

11qhj77.jpg

bec95y.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would bleach work if you were to say, dab some on a Q-Tip and go around the edges with it? I have no idea if that would work, and I wouldn't try it unless other people here think it may be a good idea too. I'm just brainstorming...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I don't know how much it would cost, but I would think about taking it to a professional who could remove the unwanted black and reapply the crest to the jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Be careful of bleach for two reasons - 1) it could "bleed through" the fabric and end up bleaching more than you want it to. I have had some experience in trying to turn Bears and Reds hats into University of Chicago hats. 2) bleach can sometime make the white fabric turn a yellowish color. Just something to be aware of.

If it annoys you, it is one thing, but I bet less people than you imagine will ever notice that slight black. I forget the correct name for the heueristic, but it states that people notice minor details about you significantly less than you think they do.

Go Hawks!

Would bleach work if you were to say, dab some on a Q-Tip and go around the edges with it? I have no idea if that would work, and I wouldn't try it unless other people here think it may be a good idea too. I'm just brainstorming...

Thought about that, but I'm not sure that even bleach would make black into white. I doubt it could hurt though, as long as I was careful. Worst case is it disolors the white mesh a bit and turns the black outline an odd color, which leaves me where I am now.

I don't know how much it would cost, but I would think about taking it to a professional who could remove the unwanted black and reapply the crest to the jersey.

Well the white border is how the crest is applied, so I'd be better off just getting a new crest. I'm not sure that I can justify that kind of work for this type of jersey. Good suggestion though.

What about something like this?

http://www.blockpart.../fabricpens.asp

You could probably find something similar/identical at like a Michael's or something.

Hmmm... this was my original thought (didn't know about those specific pens, but that's what I had in mind.) Doesn't look like there's a white pen (at least on that site) but I could certainly go to the store and look. Good idea.

Be careful of bleach for two reasons - 1) it could "bleed through" the fabric and end up bleaching more than you want it to. I have had some experience in trying to turn Bears and Reds hats into University of Chicago hats. 2) bleach can sometime make the white fabric turn a yellowish color. Just something to be aware of.

If it annoys you, it is one thing, but I bet less people than you imagine will ever notice that slight black. I forget the correct name for the heueristic, but it states that people notice minor details about you significantly less than you think they do.

Go Hawks!

I notice it. That is all that matters. I've noticed it since I was 10. It's the one reason why I never really wore Flyers jerseys back then (well I don't wear them now either except for rare cases like what's happening now).

With an older jersey like that, I'd just leave it as is.

yeah, but I have nothing to lose.

You could remove the patch and get a new crisp one off of ebay, but it might not look right.

Yeah I don't think it would look right, because the patches now are crafted much differently than they were back then. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived