Cola

Newberry College adopts new nickname...

Newberry College adopts "Wolves" as official nickname

The decision comes after two years without an athletic nickname since retirement of ?Indians? in 2008

6/7/2010

NEWBERRY, S.C. - Newberry College athletic director Brad Edwards announced today the adoption of "Wolves" as the official nickname for all athletic teams at the College, effective immediately. The Newberry College Board of Trustees approved the nickname at its meetings last weekend.

The Newberry College staff and faculty were informed of the Board's decision on Monday morning. An official logo package will be decided on by the athletic department in the coming weeks and the final product will likely be unveiled before the arrival of students for the fall semester.

"We're very excited to have this historic decision behind us," Edwards said. "I'm especially pleased that the nickname the Board of Trustees ultimately decided on was one that was suggested by the Newberry College student body."

The adoption of "Wolves" comes after two years where Newberry College had no nickname for its athletic teams after "Indians" was retired from use in May 2008. In August 2005, Newberry College was placed on a watch list by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) along with 17 other schools which deemed the use of "Indians" as hostile and abusive, and prohibited the use of Native American nicknames, mascots and imagery in postseason competition.

In September 2005, Newberry College appealed to be removed from the list of schools which were declared unable to host postseason play on the basis that none of the institutions uses of "Indians" were hostile and/or abusive toward Native Americans.

The next month, the NCAA rejected Newberry's appeal. On November 12, 2006, the Newberry football team earned the third seed in the NCAA Division II Southeast Region Playoffs, qualifying to host postseason play for the first time as an NCAA member. The College reached an agreement with the NCAA allowing the institution to remain as "Indians" and host postseason competition through the 2007-08 academic year.

Since that time, Newberry was one of three colleges nationwide which competed without a nickname. That era ends today with the adoption of "Wolves" as the official nickname.

could've came up with something more original

but

hate it or not, native american nicknames/mascots simply have to go

doesn't mean the previous name was racist or offensive, it's just not reflective of current society

Couldn't disagree more. I'd have stuck with no nickname in protest.

I know it's not practical in the slightest, but I think it's better to be one of three schools with no nickname than pick something as obvious as "wolves". At least it's not wildcats though.

There's only so many names a school go with. Whether they went with "Wolves," "Bears," "Wildcats," "Eagles," "Cardinals," "Athletics," etc, some other school somewhere will already be using it.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

To make a mockery of the PC police, they should have become the "Natives".

By becoming the Wolves, they became the Lemmings...following political correctness off the cliff.

could've came up with something more original

but

hate it or not, native american nicknames/mascots simply have to go

doesn't mean the previous name was racist or offensive, it's just not reflective of current society

Why is it not reflective of current society? Are you are saying is that there are no native-americans in current society?

Now I have no idea what the original name was and whether it was genuinely offensive or not, but if an ACTUAL native name is used and it is RELEVANT to the area, and PROVIDED the people in question have been approached and are happy to have it used why shouldn't native names be used for sports teams?

All the team is doing is acknowledging the history and heritage of the area. What's wrong with that? Native people are an important part of the history and heritage of America, surely they have a right, and surely it's only right they be represented too, provided it's done with respect and consent? Otherwise what you end up with is a sports landscape that truly does not represent society because all it has are characters of white origins!

Obviously racial stereo typing should be avoided with regards imagery, but if you work in collaboration with the people in question I dont see how that is a big problem and I can envisage some incredibly successful and creative logos being produced.

Personally I find what is effectively the ethnic cleansing of the sports world FAR MORE worrying, than teams using GENUINE native names. All the character based names that are of caucasian decent seem to be completely impervious to this current purge of people from sports names, 49ers, Patriots, Cowboys, Fighting Irish, etc etc etc not one of them is even close to being on the chopping block. Yet all those of a native background are slowly being sponged out, even those not based on derogatory nicknames or slurs.

Now if the peoples in question genuinely object then fine I have no issue with the team changing it's name, that's only right and proper and should happen as quickly as possible. But from what I can tell more often than not that isn't the case, but still teams are being forced to change name by people (usually white and in political office) telling everyine using native names is wrong and that is what is creating this impression that acknowledging the local heritage and peoples of an area is wrong... but only when they're not white people.

9erssteve

Why is it not reflective of current society? Are you are saying is that there are no native-americans in current society?

Now I have no idea what the original name was and whether it was genuinely offensive or not, but if an ACTUAL native name is used and it is RELEVANT to the area, and PROVIDED the people in question have been approached and are happy to have it used why shouldn't native names be used for sports teams?

All the team is doing is acknowledging the history and heritage of the area. What's wrong with that? Native people are an important part of the history and heritage of America, surely they have a right, and surely it's only right they be represented too, provided it's done with respect and consent? Otherwise what you end up with is a sports landscape that truly does not represent society because all it has are characters of white origins!

Obviously racial stereo typing should be avoided with regards imagery, but if you work in collaboration with the people in question I dont see how that is a big problem and I can envisage some incredibly successful and creative logos being produced.

Personally I find what is effectively the ethnic cleansing of the sports world FAR MORE worrying, than teams using GENUINE native names. All the character based names that are of caucasian decent seem to be completely impervious to this current purge of people from sports names, 49ers, Patriots, Cowboys, Fighting Irish, etc etc etc not one of them is even close to being on the chopping block. Yet all those of a native background are slowly being sponged out, even those not based on derogatory nicknames or slurs.

Now if the peoples in question genuinely object then fine I have no issue with the team changing it's name, that's only right and proper and should happen as quickly as possible. But from what I can tell more often than not that isn't the case, but still teams are being forced to change name by people (usually white and in political office) telling everyine using native names is wrong and that is what is creating this impression that acknowledging the local heritage and peoples of an area is wrong... but only when they're not white people.

9erssteve

the bolded part I agree with - the rest...'meh'

just like in the Blackhawks thread - I'm not against using the name Blackhawks but I think the logo being the head of a native american person needs to go point blank, no matter what argument you want to give about how it's a show of respect or a real life blackhawk descendant said they're ok with it, etc. etc. etc...it still needs to go

but I don't think that has to automatically mean the death of symbolism for your school or team or region...I mean...it's 2010...with all the resources we have available and all the technology and the entire knowledge of the world at our fingertips, I don't see why it's so far fetched to believe that you can change these native american sports mascots and logos to something new that still shows a team's pride or regional heritage or a certain symbolism

the whole 'just leave it the same and never ever ever ever change it no matter what' stance is just kinda lame and it's a cop out

Forgetting the entire "PC" debate, I don't think there is anything wrong with "Wolves". Uniqueness in sports nicknames can be overrated. It can give you "Wild". Wolves is a fine name. As Quillz points out above, there are a lot of schools and it is difficult not to replicate. The only way to do it is to pick something unique, which in most cases will result in something more minor league than collegiate.

Forgetting the entire "PC" debate, I don't think there is anything wrong with "Wolves". Uniqueness in sports nicknames can be overrated. It can give you "Wild". Wolves is a fine name. As Quillz points out above, there are a lot of schools and it is difficult not to replicate. The only way to do it is to pick something unique, which in most cases will result in something more minor league than collegiate.

Yeah - they could have gone with "Gold" :rolleyes:

I'm not against using the name Blackhawks but I think the logo being the head of a native american person needs to go point blank

Insanity.

Should have gone with "Medals"

9erssteve

the bolded part I agree with - the rest...'meh'

just like in the Blackhawks thread - I'm not against using the name Blackhawks but I think the logo being the head of a native american person needs to go point blank, no matter what argument you want to give about how it's a show of respect or a real life blackhawk descendant said they're ok with it, etc. etc. etc...it still needs to go

but I don't think that has to automatically mean the death of symbolism for your school or team or region...I mean...it's 2010...with all the resources we have available and all the technology and the entire knowledge of the world at our fingertips, I don't see why it's so far fetched to believe that you can change these native american sports mascots and logos to something new that still shows a team's pride or regional heritage or a certain symbolism

the whole 'just leave it the same and never ever ever ever change it no matter what' stance is just kinda lame and it's a cop out

Why? Do you find depictions of white characters offensive too? I mean not all "patriots" look like the our friend Flying Elvis but I dont see people getting bent out of shape over him. Do Black or Hispanic patriots, and by that I mean literal patriots not football fans, of whom I'm sure there are thousands if not millions in the Army, Navy, Police etc etc, take offense or do they take it for what it is a stylised representation. I'm pretty sure White patriots dont get upset about it, and more importantly patriots of other colours dont get upset about it on the white one's behalf, which is often what happens in the case of Native names right now. So if the Natives in question are on board and if the representation is accurate with regards dress and tradition, why should anyone take offense at it?

The grinning "Chief Wahoo" I can see people genuinely being offended by and yes it's time for the cartoonish mockery that some of the native named teams have used in the past to go for good, but to take a naive warrior and stylise him in a similar manner to say "the flying elvis" I think there is a place for those, after all if it's acceptable to do it to white characters it should be acceptable to do it with characters of all ethnicities, that is what REAL equality is after all, all peoples being treated the same.

With regards leaving logos the same, I think everything needs updating sooner or later, but at the same time that doesn't mean you have to clear cut everything and start from scratch every three years either.

As for the name Wolves, it's a decent name, it's the name of the team I used to play for here in Scotland for whom I designed the logo, so I'l be interested to see what they come up with for this Wolves identity.

9erssteve

Logo unveiled:

Newberry College has unveiled its logo for the school and the athletics department with an eye on carving out a niche among other college and universities.

The school's new logo for its athletic teams features a red "N" with the wolf mascot overlapping part of that letter.

It was last season when Newberry announced that its athletic teams would be known as the Wolves. But the school had used a generic red "N" as its temporary brand.

School officials say the new brand will be popular among the students, while at the same time allowing Newberry to take advantage of the marketing potential of the new logo.

110802114056_newberry_newlogo_helmet.jpg

the logo is an epic fail....

Funny... I see this thing every day, as I live—quite literally—3 blocks from Newberry College. I don't think it's that bad, really. It's better than what they had, for sure. I know at one point it was supposed to be the "Newberry Red Wolves". Don't know why they dropped the "Red" part. We actually do have a lot of wolves around here, so it's region-appropriate. I also think the name is much better than our rival's: the Presbyterian Blue Hose.

As far as local acceptance, everyone I've heard talk about it really likes it.

I used to live very near Newberry, growing up in Prosperity, and actually did some initial designs for them some 5 years ago when they wanted to tick off the NCAA and call themselves the Engines, haha. I'll try to round some of those old designs up. I like this logo. It's simple, one color, which is always helpful for college logos and advertising.

00_newberry.jpg

I can't stand the direction we are heading in sports. That logo is horrible and the whole thing reminds me of the movie PCU.

medium_old-indians-hat.jpg

Wahoo 4 Life!! :P:D

I don't understand what is so horrible about the new logo...I think people's anti-PC sentiment is clouding their judgment.