Newberry College adopts new nickname...

Cola

I don't understand what is so horrible about the new logo...I think people's anti-PC sentiment is clouding their judgment.

Lets flip it around....what's so great about it?

The fact it clearly illustrates the key identifiers of the school while using only one color. It's also a very nice, elegant wolf pose that fits into the letter shape.

Funny... I see this thing every day, as I live?quite literally?3 blocks from Newberry College. I don't think it's that bad, really. It's better than what they had, for sure. I know at one point it was supposed to be the "Newberry Red Wolves". Don't know why they dropped the "Red" part. We actually do have a lot of wolves around here, so it's region-appropriate. I also think the name is much better than our rival's: the Presbyterian Blue Hose.

As far as local acceptance, everyone I've heard talk about it really likes it.

I think it's funny how many colleges that used to have American Indian nicknames have switched to "Red _____" (see, e.g., St. John's, Arkansas State). Isn't that almost more offensive? Imagine if a college nicknamed the "Asians" or "Africans" or something recognized that nickname was offensive, so they became the "Yellow Storm" or "Black Wolves" instead. So now, instead of a nickname focused on one race of people, you have a nickname that references only the color of those people's skin, albeit obliquely.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I don't understand what is so horrible about the new logo...I think people's anti-PC sentiment is clouding their judgment.

The fact it clearly illustrates the key identifiers of the school while using only one color. It's also a very nice, elegant wolf pose that fits into the letter shape.

Elegant wolf pose? That description alone should not be associated with football, lol :P

But I will say that this logo is better than the Miami, OH University's crappy re-named name/logo

4686.gif

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Elegant wolf pose? That description alone should not be associated with football, lol :P

But I will say that this logo is better than the Miami, OH University's crappy re-named name/logo

4686.gif

Haha. Maybe elegant isn't the best term... how 'bout regal? It's not like the Phoenix Coyotes roadkill pose.

Bleh, I don't get this. Or any politically correct name change for that matter. There was a rumor a couple years ago that my high school was going to change our mascot (Indians), we even had it narrowed down to like 2 or 3 choices. We contacted the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska, and they said they were perfectly fine with our name. No problem whatsoever. So, if the actual natives don't mind it, who the hell does? Some old white folks that just assume the Indians might be offended by such a name? Doesn't make any sense to me.

As far as the new logo, I like it. Simple, and clever. Could've been a lot worse (see Arkansas State Red Wolves).

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Funny... I see this thing every day, as I live?quite literally?3 blocks from Newberry College. I don't think it's that bad, really. It's better than what they had, for sure. I know at one point it was supposed to be the "Newberry Red Wolves". Don't know why they dropped the "Red" part. We actually do have a lot of wolves around here, so it's region-appropriate. I also think the name is much better than our rival's: the Presbyterian Blue Hose.

As far as local acceptance, everyone I've heard talk about it really likes it.

Probably because it's already been done twice. Arkansas State became the Red Wolves and then Indiana East did the same.

Archived