Changes coming to Washington Wizards?

gueman

I still fail to see how "bullets" is a violent word whatsoever.

Honestly.

Now if we're going to get all anal and PC-happy...Pirates, Raiders, Buccaneers, Vikings...those are more directly tied to violence than Bullets. In fact, Bullets is closer to a name like Patriots or 76ers in terms of meaning for me, and most rational people.

True, these nicknames are equally, if not more violent than "Bullets".

The reason the nicknames Pirates, Vikings, Raiders, and Buccaneers are still around today is because they were introduced decades ago.

But, honestly, I'm not the guy to explain exactly how Bullets is any worse than the names above, as my many previous attempts have failed, IMO.

I wouldn't be against the name coming back, I just fail to believe it will ever come back.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...In fact, Bullets is closer to a name like Patriots or 76ers in terms of meaning for me, and most rational people.

Hold up, you think 'Bullets' and 'Patriots' are on the same level of violence? I guarantee if you polled Americans right now, over 75% of the population would disagree with you. I see that your argument would be "Well they aren't rational people, like me." But that would be very stubborn because they aren't making sports teams for one single person(you), they are for anyone in our country that will spend some money on them. Now don't misunderstand me, I love the name Bullets and wish they had kept it, hell, I wish they could bring it back...but my point is that in this day and age they can't afford to. The PR hit they would take would be insane. You can't afford to alienate parts of the population that might otherwise spend money on you. PC-crazy or not, that's business. Unfortunately, that's how it works these days.

...In fact, Bullets is closer to a name like Patriots or 76ers in terms of meaning for me, and most rational people.

Hold up, you think 'Bullets' and 'Patriots' are on the same level of violence? I guarantee if you polled Americans right now, over 75% of the population would disagree with you. I see that your argument would be "Well they aren't rational people, like me." But that would be very stubborn because they aren't making sports teams for one single person(you), they are for anyone in our country that will spend some money on them. Now don't misunderstand me, I love the name Bullets and wish they had kept it, hell, I wish they could bring it back...but my point is that in this day and age they can't afford to. The PR hit they would take would be insane. You can't afford to alienate parts of the population that might otherwise spend money on you. PC-crazy or not, that's business. Unfortunately, that's how it works these days.

:doh:

I said, Bullets is NOT violent and the meaning is on par with the Pats...you know, the freedom of our nation...

As for the fan base and people who will buy the merchandise...reference the previously-mentioned poll in this thread. Actual Bullets fans love and want the name back.

If a lawyer or politician boycotts the game to make a public point...someone else will sit in his seat. Far too often in today's society, we let a vocal minority dictate to the overwhelming majority just because they'd loud and claim to be "offended".

87Redskins.png

:doh:

I said, Bullets is NOT violent and the meaning is on par with the Pats...you know, the freedom of our nation...

As for the fan base and people who will buy the merchandise...reference the previously-mentioned poll in this thread. Actual Bullets fans love and want the name back.

If a lawyer or politician boycotts the game to make a public point...someone else will sit in his seat. Far too often in today's society, we let a vocal minority dictate to the overwhelming majority just because they'd loud and claim to be "offended".

I know what you were saying, I am arguing that most people would think 'Bullets' was far more violent than 'Patriots'. Again, I'm not saying I am offended, nor that anyone is. I am simply stating that it would be a bad business decision for Washington basketball to take such a negative PR hit, thus it doesn't seem likely to me at all. I was also saying that your idea that 'Bullets' isn't a violent name is a wildly unpopular opinion.

Let me toss this idea out there... what if, through logos, branding, etc., the name "Bullets" were more of a reference to objects shot from muskets (i.e...American Revolution) than today's Bullets (more commonly thought of with street violence)?

Does that make the nickname Bullets more attractive?

And that was the basis of the name Baltimore Bullets. Baltimore was an ammunition supplier for many of our nations wars. The Shot Tower which still stands was the production site for shot used in the Civil War and was the dominate building on the Baltimore skyline until the late 60's. Bullet and Bomber are names that have been corrupted by the PC crowd. And I would say many would buy the Bullet merchandise just to thumb their noses at the PC folks. Baltimore Bullets had great alliteration, I would hope the Washington X would have the same.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Bottom line is bullets have killed a few of my and my brothers close friends. However I don't think about that when someone says Washington Bullets and I think I have been as close to violence associated with bullets than probably most people commenting on this. That is why I find it funny when people say things about bullets and violence but don't have a clue what that is all about.One thing it is not about is a team name.Bullets Forever

Bullets are also trains.

And sandwiches at Quiznos:

. . . and beer . . .

silverbulletsmmirror.jpg

. . . and kitchen appliances.

magic+bullet.jpg

I never realized how silly it is to automatically associate bullets with, you know, guns.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived