Golden State Warriors unveil new logo + uniform

north dakota

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone remember the rumours about 15 years ago that the Warriors were going to rebrand as the "Oakland Warriors"? It was around the time they played in San Jose for a year whilst their arena was being built.

I always thought it was telling that they didn't use any kind of city or region in the branding (apart from one wordmark I never even saw used) when they redesigned in 1997.

Anyone remember the rumours about 15 years ago that the Warriors were going to rebrand as the "Oakland Warriors"? It was around the time they played in San Jose for a year whilst their arena was being built.

I always thought it was telling that they didn't use any kind of city or region in the branding (apart from one wordmark I never even saw used) when they redesigned in 1997.

I just remember hearing about "the new look Warriors" at that time.

The "official" name for the region is the SF Bay Area. The economic and cultural center of influence is SF. Oakland has a sizeable population, but (and I'm uneducated here as I'm not from there) IMO Oakland woudn't be known if the Raiders and A's didn't use it.

Well, I think there's more to Oakland than the Raiders, but it's hardly the St. Paul to San Francisco's Minneapolis. It's like Newark: sizable industrial/port city, but obviously the center of the action. Also, it's not all that nice. I think the endgame here is for the Warriors to shoehorn themselves back into San Francisco, maybe taking the Sharks along with them if need be (the Tank wasn't a first-class building when they built it, let alone now). It'll be a better situation than the old dump in Oakland.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The "official" name for the region is the SF Bay Area. The economic and cultural center of influence is SF. Oakland has a sizeable population, but (and I'm uneducated here as I'm not from there) IMO Oakland woudn't be known if the Raiders and A's didn't use it.

Well, I think there's more to Oakland than the Raiders, but it's hardly the St. Paul to San Francisco's Minneapolis. It's like Newark: sizable industrial/port city, but obviously the center of the action. Also, it's not all that nice. I think the endgame here is for the Warriors to shoehorn themselves back into San Francisco, maybe taking the Sharks along with them if need be (the Tank wasn't a first-class building when they built it, let alone now). It'll be a better situation than the old dump in Oakland.

HP Pavilion was designed before the "club level era" of North American indoor venues were the norm. It doesn't help that the architect selected was Sink-Combs-Dethlefs. They are not very good in designing sports facilities when Popolus, Canon, HNBT (the Oracle people), or Ellerbe Beckett were out there. California seems to like Sink-Combs even for other projects too as their colleges decide om them.

Both have narrow concourses and are average in terms in where I have been too. HP Pavilion is bad, like US Airways Arena in PHX, opened at near the same time.

The arena's not an old dump. It may have been built in 1966 but it was renovated heavily in 1996 (the entire interior was gutted and rebuilt, like KeyArena was). Thus the interior's only 14 years old.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Although I like the bridge logo, I'm not sure what it has to do with "Warriors." It's kind of like the mountain logo for the Jazz.

As far as the colors go, I think they look way too much like the Pacers now. I like their old colors better. They were unique. Even when the Thunder came in the league they were still unique as the Thunder didn't stress their Navy and Yellow as much. Navy, Blue, Orange, and Yellow were good colors for them.

Back in 2007 I was lucky enough to make it over to Oracle Arena for a Warriors practice after a Niners game. I must say that the arena is very nice, especially the area between the entrance and the lower level.

The "official" name for the region is the SF Bay Area. The economic and cultural center of influence is SF. Oakland has a sizeable population, but (and I'm uneducated here as I'm not from there) IMO Oakland woudn't be known if the Raiders and A's didn't use it.. It's one metro area, and it ain't the Oakland metro area. I know someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm mistaken, but that's what I've gathered from the (albeit) quick research I've done.

I would imagine that this area is pretty unique in the fact that you have two major cities in such close proximity with different pro teams representing each city. I'm racking my brain but I don't know of any other area quite like this other than maybe Los Angeles and Anaheim but maybe thats a stretch. I guess Baltimore and Washington are close. Baltimore has about 750K people while Washington boasts about 500-550K as of the last census. I guess my point here is that establishing your team in one major city and trying to draw fans from another neighboring major city by naming your team in such a way as to allude to a much larger geographic area is kind of a major cop out.

Yes, the A's and Raiders helped bring the Oakland area in to prominence but lets face it, they certainly have the population to be known as a major city. Also there are two other major teams in the neighboring city in each of those major leagues. Oakland is well within the top 50 most populated cities in America. I think they rank in the 40's. So that says something on its own. I just think its a tremendous travesty that the Warriors continue to try to market to the entire Bay Area while being in Oakland. They should either be in San Francisco or stay in Oakland and call themselves the Oakland Warriors and move on. But thats just me.

I just think its a tremendous travesty that the Warriors continue to try to market to the entire Bay Area while being in Oakland.

That's not even a regular travesty. God, do people here not understand what a metropolitan area is?

I just think its a tremendous travesty that the Warriors continue to try to market to the entire Bay Area while being in Oakland.

That's not even a regular travesty. God, do people here not understand what a metropolitan area is?

How dare the Bears market to Northwest Indiana!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Warriors radio coverage is on KNBR San Francisco, the station that carries the Giants and Niners. I think I'm going to be physically ill.

Although I like the bridge logo, I'm not sure what it has to do with "Warriors." It's kind of like the mountain logo for the Jazz.

As far as the colors go, I think they look way too much like the Pacers now. I like their old colors better. They were unique. Even when the Thunder came in the league they were still unique as the Thunder didn't stress their Navy and Yellow as much. Navy, Blue, Orange, and Yellow were good colors for them.

Back in 2007 I was lucky enough to make it over to Oracle Arena for a Warriors practice after a Niners game. I must say that the arena is very nice, especially the area between the entrance and the lower level.

They look like the Pacers only in that they are wearing similar horrible jerseys. Teams could have the same colors and look nothing alike. Put the Warriors in a respectable jersey and they will be fine. I am glad they went back to royal and yellow, which is horribly underused in sports.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, not really sure how they resemble the Pacers, beyond navy blue and royal blue both being shades of blue. That most of the Pacers are big white stiffs should help you discern as well.

Both have narrow concourses and are average in terms in where I have been too. HP Pavilion is bad, like US Airways Arena in PHX, opened at near the same time.

HP Pavilion is not bad. In fact, I will go as far and say that it is the most fan friendly venue in the bay area, yes even more so than AT&T Park. The fact it doesnt have two to three levels of luxury boxes separating the to main levels of seating does it credit. Even a seat back in row 16 of section 224 is still relatively close to the ice when compared to other NHL venues.

As far as narrow concourses, that is nothing new. All major event venues in the bay area have narrow concourses, including AT&T Park, which for the time being is the youngest of the major sports venues. There is this thing called seismic retrofitting that requires these venues to have narrower concourses. This is an earthquake zone after all.

Well, I think there's more to Oakland than the Raiders, but it's hardly the St. Paul to San Francisco's Minneapolis. It's like Newark: sizable industrial/port city, but obviously the center of the action.

Stop pretending that you are an expert on the bay area please. You have never been here. In fact, the three days I spent in Chicago in many ways qualifies me as more of an expert on your area than you are of mine.

If you had any sort of clue, you would know that Oakland has its sizeable share of affluent left-winger neighborhoods such as Montclair and Rockridge, while San Francisco has its gritty working class communities such as Visitaction Valley and Hunters Point, the latter being a rather rough place to be at night.

Also, for everyone else, here is an approximate list of population statistics for the major bay area cities:

San Jose 900,000+ ,San Francisco 600,000+, Oakland 400,000+, then there are a few 100,000+ cities such as Hayward, Fremont, Concord, Vallejo.

All in all, the entire bay area is comprised of around 3 million people, although some statistical maps include Sacramento and Stockton in those figures. Depends where you get your info.

Archived