north dakota

Golden State Warriors unveil new logo + uniform

? WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

Just wanted to bring this to attention, because I thought the same thing. Is "WARRIORS" really misaligned at the bottom, or is it some trick of the eyes?

It's not the worst redesign of the past 20 years, but for me, it seems like a fair bit of missed opportunity, poor choices, and lack of attention to detail. The more that gets revealed with this new set, the more it looks like a lateral move from what they wore previously.

Also, take a moment to consider how awful the front of that jersey is going to look when rendered as a Swingman. You know the whole thing, wordmark and all, is going to be done as one giant, screened patch.

• WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

Just wanted to bring this to attention, because I thought the same thing. Is "WARRIORS" really misaligned at the bottom, or is it some trick of the eyes?

It's no trick -- I measured it in Photoshop. The "WARRIORS" script is a bit too far to the right, and "GOLDEN STATE" is too far to the left. I'm guessing it was a stylistic choice.

How does their blue color compare to Denver's? Or Minnesota's? Colorwerx to the rescue please. On my monitor, it's hard to tell, because depending on my eye angle it changes shades.

Come on. It's his gimmick. You should know this by now.

God forbid someone actually LIKES jerseys with unique uniform elements or even (gasp!) gradients on here! I guess I should start thinking that all teams should have one-colored jerseys with the name and number in standard block lettering then. :rolleyes:

It moves into gimmick when you insert the bull :censored: into every freaking thread. Every one. It's as ridiculous as dennisbergan and his "throw-em-back" stuff, and you do it primarily just to get the attention from being the contrarian.

? WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

It's no trick -- I measured it in Photoshop. The "WARRIORS" script is a bit too far to the right, and "GOLDEN STATE" is too far to the left. I'm guessing it was a stylistic choice.

There has to be some sort of 30 degree rule for design - if the stylistic choice (like off-center) is so subtle as not to be easily noticed, then it's a screw-up and not a stylistic choice.

there is "mechanically centered" and "optically centered", this seems to be neither.

I always mechanically center and then adjust slightly if needed to account for the visual correctness.

I'm not sure why someone would want to purposely do this, I chalk it up to laziness/ineptness not "stylistic choice"

• WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

There has to be some sort of 30 degree rule for design - if the stylistic choice (like off-center) is so subtle as not to be easily noticed, then it's a screw-up and not a stylistic choice.

Now that I think about it, perhaps the off-centered nature of both text elements is in conjunction with the "perspective" they tried to display in the uneven stroke around the circle?

Now that I think about it, perhaps the off-centered nature of both text elements is in conjunction with the "perspective" they tried to display in the uneven stroke around the circle?

Maybe, although that doesn't seem to work. The uneven stroke appears to my eye to be centered. Had they been equally off-center then I'd agree with you, but both read as simple careless mistakes to me.

I'm not going to run out and buy merchandise, but I definitely think it's an upgrade. I like the bridge imagery. The "SF" surprises me, as I figured the "Golden State" name was there to placate the residence in the rest of the region.

I would have anticipated a lukewarm reaction and not all out vomits. I think it'll be in the middle of the NBA pack...certainly not OKC bad.

EDIT: The more I look at the "SF" and "W" logos, the more I think they stink and look like logos they'd have used for a hoops team on saved by the bell or something. But they're secondaries and the awful previous look still makes this an upgrade.

Come on. It's his gimmick. You should know this by now.

God forbid someone actually LIKES jerseys with unique uniform elements or even (gasp!) gradients on here! I guess I should start thinking that all teams should have one-colored jerseys with the name and number in standard block lettering then. rolleyes.gif

I don't think you have to go from one extreme to another.

Bingo. Because they are such small tweaks, the off-center text and the off-center circle look like sloppy mistakes, not stylistic elements. I really hope that, like when the Bucks initially unveiled their red-and-green redesign, the Warriors will clean up this mess within the next couple of months.

Mmkay, so who knows why one of the alt logos has 'SF' on it? Do the Warriors plan on leaving Oakland anytime soon?.... :blink:

Well San Fransisco is easily the heart of the Bay Area. If it weren't for the Raiders and A's using the Oakland name I don't think any of use would find it weird to have an Oakland-based team use the San Fransisco moniker.

Whether they go back to San Fransisco-proper or not, I want to see the name "San Fransisco Warriors" name return. It just sounds right.

Well San Fransisco is easily the heart of the Bay Area. If it weren't for the Raiders and A's using the Oakland name I don't think any of use would find it weird to have an Oakland-based team use the San Fransisco moniker.

Except that the team has deliberately chosen a name to avoid identification with any one city in the metropolitan area, "heart" or not.

Interesting that after 40 years of "Golden State," they're making a deliberate play to San Francisco.

Except that the team has deliberately chosen a name to avoid identification with any one city in the metropolitan area, "heart" or not.

Interesting that after 40 years of "Golden State," they're making a deliberate play to San Francisco.

I think it would have been a nice touch if they had done both SF and Oak logos and put SF logo inside the three point line on one side of the court and the Oak inside the three point line on the other side.

Wait, you wanted them to re-design the state?

Brilliant.

"the most pathetic redesign in 20 years"? Really? OKcity Thunder, Buffaslug? No, you're going for this. Your credability is wobbling.

I think California should consider a re-brand. Its shape used to be iconic, but the game changed once Alaska came along. I think rounding off its Nevada border would do wonders.

Wait, you wanted them to re-design the state?

Brilliant.

"the most pathetic redesign in 20 years"? Really? OKcity Thunder, Buffaslug? No, you're going for this. Your credability is wobbling.

I think California should consider a re-brand. Its shape used to be iconic, but the game changed once Alaska came along. I think rounding off its Nevada border would do wonders.

:D

Seriously, I think I understand what he was trying to get at. There's more than one way to draw a state, and from what I can tell he doesn't like the way they drew California in this one.

Put me in the middle of this argument. I don't think they're half-bad.

They are clean, not much junk going on.

Nice colors.

I don't hate them.

Probably better as a 3rd jersey, but I can live with this retro look.

One slight change may improve them a lot: only have "Warriors" at the top for the home jerseys and "Golden State" at the top for the roads. And make them a little bigger.

It moves into gimmick when you insert the bull :censored: into every freaking thread. Every one. It's as ridiculous as dennisbergan and his "throw-em-back" stuff, and you do it primarily just to get the attention from being the contrarian.

I'd understand that comment if I...

a.) randomly brought up those particular uniforms in the thread to begin with (which I didn't), and

b.) actually did "insert the bull :censored:" into every thread (which I don't).

I'm sorry if you think I'm just being a contrarian because I disagree with the majority of this forum on what uniforms should look like, but derailing a thread completely isn't going to make me change my mind.