United States Soccer Crest Concept

rentz

Hey guys. This morning as I was watching highlights of the United States' excruciating tie with Slovenia it became increasingly evident how terrible our crest is. It doesn't seem to say anything about the United States at all and really the only American iconography are the stars and stripes which are inexplicably reversed in color. So I set out to design a better logo.

ussoccercrest-1.png

Obviously the logo is greatly inspired by the Great Seal. The shield itself is essentially the same shield in front of the Eagle of the great shield. To the left and right of the shield are the olive branch and arrows held by the eagle. The eagle itself is situated on the stripes in the shield. Replacing the shield on the eagle is a soccer ball. The eagle now has open talons to avoid redundancy.

C+C welcome. I may make jerseys just because I hate our Miss America ones.

EDIT: OH GOD I realize now there are terrible transparency problems that I didn't see because the monitor I work on is really messed up. So yeah, sorry about that, hopefully I'll get it fixed soon. EDIT 2: Fixed

I mean no offense and these are just my thoughts.

I'd give the eagle head some detail (an eye for example) and change or loose the legs which as they are distract more than they add.

A more yellow-ish kind of gold could also look better.

I'm not too familiar with US history and the link to these green plants, the stick weapons, but I'd either loose them and or put them somewhere within the badge, but that could make it look to clustered.

what does the the latin (?) phrase say?

I like the idea of an white head eagle in the logo. looking forward to potential follow ups.

Update. I tweaked the logo some, and tried to bring the elements together. I like the crests with elaborate almost heraldic imagery which was sort of what I was going for, but I included a version without the olive branch/arrows in case that one is preferred.

ussc2.png

I also came up with some uniforms.

usj.png

C+C welcome.

If your going to drop the olive branch and arrows from the outside then something would need to be done about the open eagle talons, like putting them back in. Im with you on the heraldic part, it definitely makes it better with them in, I'd be curious to see this: Olive branches on both sides of the bottom then the talons holding two sets of arrows for a bit of balance?

I kind of like it, but right now it's a bit too distracting. I like the leafy whatever it is on the side, but the green is too distracting from the rest of the logo. Especially when on the uniform. If you could figure out something to do with the arrows, it'd be good. Maybe go with a navy blue eagle rather than black. Same for the arrows... and maybe even the leafy thing. Just play around with it.

I like the unis, but they make me think Cuba with the solo star to the left of stripes.

If your going to drop the olive branch and arrows from the outside then something would need to be done about the open eagle talons, like putting them back in. Im with you on the heraldic part, it definitely makes it better with them in, I'd be curious to see this: Olive branches on both sides of the bottom then the talons holding two sets of arrows for a bit of balance?

agreed with the olive leaves on both sides. Even if you didn't place the arrows in the feet, it'd give you room to center them in some way.

agreed with the olive leaves on both sides. Even if you didn't place the arrows in the feet, it'd give you room to center them in some way.

The olive branches are only on one side of the US seal. So having it on both sides wouldn't make much sense.

Framing the crest in the olive branches and arrows is pretty inspired. Maybe the execution of the concept could stand to be tweaked, but the idea is pretty solid.

I mean no offense and these are just my thoughts.

I'd give the eagle head some detail (an eye for example) and change or loose the legs which as they are distract more than they add.

Losing the legs? Wouldn't that make the eagle look incomplete?

I'm not too familiar with US history and the link to these green plants, the stick weapons, but I'd either loose them and or put them somewhere within the badge, but that could make it look to clustered.

The green plants are olive branches, and the sticks are arrows. They represent both peace and war. The eagle holds them in its talons on the US seal.

I like what you've done here; the uniforms especially.

The only change I'd make to the uniform is to flop the shorts, pairing the blue shorts with the white jersey, and vice-versa.

As for the logo, here are the changes I'd like to see.

1. Add some detail to the eagle. It was mentioned before, I know; all you really need is some detail in the bird's head and it would be vastly better.

2. Move the olive branches and arrows to the eagles arms/talons. Also mentioned before. It would work much better to have all subjects of the logo placed inside the shield/crest.

3. Switch the font for 'USA'. I know you went with a font that is similar to the wording on our currency, but I really don't think it works here. The 'U' is so asymmetrical it throws off the balance of the entire logo.

4. Place 'E Pluribus Unum' under 'USA'. The emphasis should be more on 'USA' than on the phrase, which is why I'd also make the font for the phrase a bit smaller. (Also I'd arch 'USA' if everything else is arched.)

5. Eliminate gold. Unlike others I am not against gold in USA's color scheme, but quite frankly it's just not needed here, and it really doesn't add anything to the logo or identity; especially because it's nowhere on the jerseys.

I think if you make these changes and execute them well, you're on your way to a very nice identity.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived